It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

SbrbnCwgrl HB User
Tonsillectomy as Sleep Apnea "Cure"?

Has anyone had a tonsillectomy to help with their sleep apnea? Did it help? Would you recommend it? I'm going to be undergoing a tonsillectomy as a result of being diagnosed with sleep apnea (I've been trying for years to get rid of them as they are HUGE and cause me problems quite often and now they're finally giving me a reason!!).

Thanks!
Kristin

Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy as Sleep Apnea "Cure"?

I had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy and full sinus roto-rooter back in Oct 2006. I went from severe sleep apnea to mild/moderate sleep apnea. It did help, but I am still dependent on my breathy bedside companion.. you have to love the full mask star wars darth vadar feelings that come from lying awake staring at the ceiling and listening to your CPAP as you breathe.. Go for it. I have been much healthier from getting them out. It is going to be a rough 14 days. Go to the ENT board and print out the LisaMP's guide to an Adult Tonsillectomy.. many good tips there.

SIncerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
(female)

SbrbnCwgrl HB User

Thanks, MG! I already printed the post you suggested, VERY helpful! I have mild/moderate apnea now so the ENT thinks it very well could reduce my apnea to the point that the surgery, along with the weight loss I am currently in the process of, I may not need a CPAP. I had to sleep with one for the second half of my sleep study and that is NOT going to work for me!

Last edited by SbrbnCwgrl; 10-31-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

cherryapple HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbrbnCwgrl View Post
Has anyone had a tonsillectomy to help with their sleep apnea? Did it help? Would you recommend it? I'm going to be undergoing a tonsillectomy as a result of being diagnosed with sleep apnea (I've been trying for years to get rid of them as they are HUGE and cause me problems quite often and now they're finally giving me a reason!!).

Thanks!
Kristin
My sleep apnea was caused by my tonsils being enlarged. When I had them taken out I went from 32 apneas a night down to 5 or 7. I would say it's defenitly worth a try.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

SbrbnCwgrl HB User

Thanks for the advice! My tonsillectomy is scheduled for November 29th so hopefully it will make this whole thing worth it once I've healed!

Last edited by SbrbnCwgrl; 11-04-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Just wanted to give you some quick advice regarding the CPAP and face mask you wore at the sleep clinic. I also wore one at the sleep clinic and the thing was GOD AWFUL as it did not fit my face properly. I went online and bought a nice face mask and the thing works awesome. it fits my face perfectly as you have to measure your face and nose and they reccomend a unit that fits YOUR face. the first night I put on my mask I slept like a baby so you do get used to it. don't say you will NEVER wear one because if you find the right one you will be able to adapt to it and it will save your life. I would never have the surgery. my Dr told me they can grow back and its so painful as an adult. you can also have permanent problems from the surgeries my uvila is huge and I looked into having it removed and it gorws back and is so painful and can cause big problems in the long run. a CPAP is a better choice in my eyes.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
(female)

SbrbnCwgrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post
Just wanted to give you some quick advice regarding the CPAP and face mask you wore at the sleep clinic. I also wore one at the sleep clinic and the thing was GOD AWFUL as it did not fit my face properly. I went online and bought a nice face mask and the thing works awesome. it fits my face perfectly as you have to measure your face and nose and they reccomend a unit that fits YOUR face. the first night I put on my mask I slept like a baby so you do get used to it. don't say you will NEVER wear one because if you find the right one you will be able to adapt to it and it will save your life. I would never have the surgery. my Dr told me they can grow back and its so painful as an adult. you can also have permanent problems from the surgeries my uvila is huge and I looked into having it removed and it gorws back and is so painful and can cause big problems in the long run. a CPAP is a better choice in my eyes.

Good luck!

If the only reason I was doing the tonsillectomy was for the sleep apnea, I would agree completely with what you are saying. I have has problems with my tonsils since I was younger and my old doctor refused to take them out (they were making too much money off my 3-4 visits per year for throat infections to find it "necessary" for them to be removed!) I'm having them out for many reasons, but I hear one of the benefits is that, since I have such mild apnea, I may not need a CPAP after my surgery.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

A tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy in both me and my son did reduce the severity of our sleep apnea. However it didn't cure it. My son and I both had severe sleep apnea. My son's is still severe. Mine was reduced from 60+ events an hour to 11. My son (5 yrs old now) still has over 30 events an hour.

Tonsils rarely grow back after a tonsillectomy and only growth back in a much smaller state if tonsil tissue is left behind. All my blood relatives have had them out. Mother, father, brother, son, me, 4 aunts, three uncles, and slew of cousins. None have had their tonsils grow back.

I wish you the best. I would go for the tonsillectomy. You will need to go for a post operation sleep study about 2 months after your surgery. This will tell you if you are cured. It can make a big difference.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
(female)

SbrbnCwgrl HB User

Thanks, MG.

I'm starting to get a little more nercous since it's less than 2 weeks away now, but I know I'm doing the right thing. If it helps my apnea, that's just a bonus. It's very mind to begin with so the doctor said it may eliminate my need for a CPAP, but we'll see... If nothing else, I'll avoid all the issues I've been having with my throat!

Last edited by SbrbnCwgrl; 11-17-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: typo... :)

Closed Thread