It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

khrystein HB User
why shouldnt i take ambien with alcohol?

why shouldnt i take ambien with alcohol?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User
Re: why shouldnt i take ambien with alcohol?

You shouldn't take alcohol with it because it intensifies the effects of the meds!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
(male)

peterug13 HB User

To be more specific, yes it does increase the effects of ambien. Do not misconstrue that as even better sleep. Alcohol and Ambien are both nervous system depressants. Mixing could lead to decreased breathing, low pulse, inability to awaken, coma, death.....you can read the warnings online at any reputable drug information site.

My friend has mixed them and experienced automatic behaviours while doing so. She once woke up in the middle of the night to find herself sitting in her car, 6 miles from home wil NO recollection of how she got there. (She obviously drove herself!!) Generally if the label says not to mix it with alcohol there is a good reason. Im not saying all of these things WILL happen to you but why risk it? If you want to go out and enjoy a few drinks skip your ambien. I am 100% sure your doctor would say skip the drinking but people being people we dont always do whats best for us! If you are going to drink...suck it up and deal with the bad nights sleep! By the way.....alcohol is about the worst thing you can do for sleep!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
(female)

khrystein HB User
Wink Re: why shouldnt i take ambien with alcohol?

thanks for your informative response...since my first question, i had taken to chewing up ambien to chill out during my usually hyper waking hours as well as right before bedtime.my doc will not renew my script and i did learn a few lessons.i am still an insomniac, and i'm glad i never ended up in my car 6 miles away from my house in the middle of the night; i was found in my backyard garden by a neighbor around 5 am.i wish i knew of someway other than drugs or alcohol to get to sleep though.cheers/skoal

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

Tiger444 HB User

My doctor told me that Ambien should be taken when you get in bed and you are ready to go to sleep. It is not one of those sleeping pills you should take and then watch TV, read, etc. It works best if taken right when you lay down, otherwise it is just not as effective!

No sleeping pill should be used with alcohol. That's just the way it is~no benzos either. Don't mix them and wake up!

Closed Thread