It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

wisangel HB User
Adderall for Narcolepsy, but causing rapid weight loss

I have narcolepsy and started taking Adderall(30mg 2x/day) on October 16th. Since then, my appetite has shrunk to almost nothing, I’ve lost 23+lbs(going from 179lbs on Day 1 of Adderall to 155.6lbs today), & my pant size has dropped from a size 16 down to a 10. Now, I am very aware that weight loss & decreased appetite are possible side effects of this med. But, considering I didn’t have them while on Ritalin(which was just prior to starting Adderall and at the same dose), this all caught my family & I by surprise. In fact, my husband has been very concerned about my continuing weight loss and how quickly it’s happened. To put his mind at ease, I talked to my doctor back in November, who told us not to worry as these are “short-lived” side effects that will disappear/slow down on their own. Additionally, everything else I’ve read online(regarding Adderall and weight loss) supports what my doctor said.

So here are my questions: Does my husband have a valid reason for being worried? Another words, is my weight loss extreme &/or outside of the "norm”? Should I talk to my doctor again, even though he’s already aware of everything and wasn’t worried the 1st time? How much more weight could I expect to lose?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Adderall for Narcolepsy, but causing rapid weight loss

If the Adderall is working well for your narcolepsy, I would first try to stop the weight loss on my own. Try to drink higher calorie drinks. You might not be hungry, but you will probably still be thirsty. Drink smoothies, milk shakes and juice. More likely than not, your appetite will be at it's best in the evenings - eat heavily then including a bedtime snack.

If you try your hardest to stop the weight loss and can't, then yes, definitely, talk to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

wisangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html View Post
If the Adderall is working well for your narcolepsy, I would first try to stop the weight loss on my own. Try to drink higher calorie drinks. You might not be hungry, but you will probably still be thirsty. Drink smoothies, milk shakes and juice. More likely than not, your appetite will be at it's best in the evenings - eat heavily then including a bedtime snack.

If you try your hardest to stop the weight loss and can't, then yes, definitely, talk to your doctor.
Thank you for your reply. It's funny how you mention that I should drink more, because lately all I've been is VERY thirsty and ALL the time. I figured it was the "dry mouth" side effect from the med, or maybe just the dry air in my house or at work.

Also, to answer your "question" about whether the Adderall is working for my narcolepsy, yes it is, but gradually. As I always say, though, "something is better than nothing".

Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
(female)

Jcklecka HB User

Hello,
I was recently diagnosed with narcolepsy as well and was put on Provigil. Just an FYI - I have been on it for about two weeks now and it has caused a major decrease in my appetite as well. I do not have much weight to loose, so it is a little nerve racking, but I try to force something in my stomach even when I'm not hungry - yogurt, granola bar, etc. At least it's something.
I have another appt. today and I'll have to see what they say. Just be careful if you decide to switch, like I said, Provigil is doing the same thing for me.
Good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

Hi,
I hope I can be a little helpful here, as this forum has provided me so much info as I explore my own questions:

I've been on adderall since June (for fibro and cfs) and during that time was switched to Provigil for a bit as well.

I am very small (105 pounds at 5ft 3-ish). I was very, very thin (but fit) in the past because I was incredibly active and I guess naturally small in stature, but I started at 121 on adderall in late June and lost about 14 pounds by the end of August. Rapid weight loss is unhealthy, of course, but after the first two months it slowed, and actually the appetite suppression becomes less (at least from what I hear and from my experience) the longer you are on the medication.

I didn't want to lose any more, so I made a few adjustments and found that my weight has been steady now for several months, so for me there was a way to work around the appetite suppression, and maybe it'll help you.

I starterd on 5mg and got up to 45mg (30 am and 15 midafternoon), and at that dose I literally was never hungry. I talked to my doctor and we made some adjustments. (I'm on IR, not XR). I lowered my dosage on my own to between 30 and 40, and now I break my dosage into 3 daily doses and it helps, because the smaller doses don't kill my appetite as much as taking a larger dose all at once. I also read that if your dose is too high it causes more appetite suppression.

I find that I have to eat a healthy breakfast before taking my first dose of Adderall, because in the beginning I could go all day without even realizing I haven't eaten. I try to eat small snacks throughout the day, even those 100-calorie prepackaged things, and drink as much water as I can, because even on adderall if I don't fuel my body with calories and hydrate enough, the fatigue, etc, gets much worse.
Now that my appetite has come back some, I still am less hungry than I was before adderall, so I still do this and it seems helpful to have a routine.

I think losing more than 1.5 to 2 pounds a week is unhealthy, so if you continue to experience a very rapid weight loss and find you don't want to eat at all, I'd talk to the doctor about lowering your dose or trying something else.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

wisangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcklecka View Post
Hello,
I was recently diagnosed with narcolepsy as well and was put on Provigil. Just an FYI - I have been on it for about two weeks now and it has caused a major decrease in my appetite as well. I do not have much weight to loose, so it is a little nerve racking, but I try to force something in my stomach even when I'm not hungry - yogurt, granola bar, etc. At least it's something.
I have another appt. today and I'll have to see what they say. Just be careful if you decide to switch, like I said, Provigil is doing the same thing for me.
Good luck!
It's interesting that you've had a decreased appetite & weight loss from Provigil, considering those aren't side effects known to occur from this med and aren't even mentioned on its website under prescribing information. But each drug effects people differently.

I also took Provigil at one time. In fact, it was the first medication prescribed to me after I was diagnosed in 2005. My doctor had strong hopes that it would work, but unfortunately it didn't. In fact, I didn't feel the slightest bit different or better. So then we moved onto Ritalin, which didn't do anything for me, either. It didn't effect my appetite, didn't cause weight loss, and definetly did not improve my narcolepsy. In actuality, I felt more tired while on Provigil and Ritalin than off them!!

Adderall, on the other hand, has had the opposite effect and been a God-send for me. I honestly can't believe how well it has worked and how "awake" I feel. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't work 100% because there are times when I feel a little more tired than others(since starting this med). But the severity or extent of the tiredness is nothing like before I was diagnosed or while I was taking the Ritalin & Provigil. Back in those days, I could hardly keep my eyes open when I got home from work, could barely make dinner(alot of the time, it wasn't a home-cooked meal), and had to fight the "overwhelming feeling/need" to sleep in order to help my daughter with her homework. The sad part is that my 10-yr-old was usually tucking me into bed at night vs me, the parent, tucking her in. But guess who's doing the tucking now? Me!! :-)

Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
(female)

PinkFloyd1 HB User

Would you mind me asking what your Adderall schedule is? I am only able to take it a few times a week because my body adapts to it quickly. I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia. Provigil and Ritilin have done nothing for me. The Adderall seems either too much or not enough. I take slow release in the morning, and a quick release, then another quick release in the afternoon. I still need tons of caffeine to be productive. I am having a hard time finding others with my problem. Also, it does make me incredibly thirsty which makes me urinate a lot. They have a point about drinking higher calorie drinks. Protein shakes may be good.

Last edited by PinkFloyd1; 01-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

PinkFloyd1, I know your question wasn't for me, but I certainly identify with you. I don't even have a diagnosis other than fibro and cfs. My fatigue is so bad that even with 4 daily doses of adderall I was still unusually tired and weak. I tried Provigil alone and then Provigil and adderall together (200mg provigil and 30 mg Adderall IR) for a bit and it didn't help either.

I've cut back on my adderall now but still take it because it does help with my bad brain fog. I was taking 15mg every day at 8am, noon, 3pm and 6pm for a short time and even that didn't do much. My doctor prescribes me "up to 45mg daily" now, and I just take it for mental clarity. I've given up on getting energy from adderall or any medication.

In researching this, I have heard that adderall actually has this effect on some poeple. I've heard of some folks having to take extremely high doses to get any kind of energizing effect. I won't do that though. It makes me too nervous.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

Quote:
It's interesting that you've had a decreased appetite & weight loss from Provigil, considering those aren't side effects known to occur from this med and aren't even mentioned on its website under prescribing information.
Actually, it is. When "anorexia" is listed as a side effect, it means "loss of appetite". It's there.

I thought that tiredpoet's suggestions were very helpful.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
(female)

wisangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFloyd1 View Post
Would you mind me asking what your Adderall schedule is? I am only able to take it a few times a week because my body adapts to it quickly. I have Idiopathic Hypersomnia. Provigil and Ritilin have done nothing for me. The Adderall seems either too much or not enough. I take slow release in the morning, and a quick release, then another quick release in the afternoon. I still need tons of caffeine to be productive. I am having a hard time finding others with my problem. Also, it does make me incredibly thirsty which makes me urinate a lot. They have a point about drinking higher calorie drinks. Protein shakes may be good.
The prescription states "Take 30mg in the A.M. and 30mg at noon". However, I do not follow this to a "T", particularly with the "noon" dose. Here's what I mean: On the days I work, I usually take the A.M. dose around 6:30 a.m.(as I'm driving in to work) and the "noon" dose around 4pm(when I'm driving home from work). That way, I'll hopefully have a better chance of the medication lasting me until my daughter's bedtime, which these days is getting later & later(that preteen stage is in full-force with her). And since my husband travels out-of-state 3-4 days/week, I NEED to be awake, and able to stay awake, for my daughter's sake. On my days off, I'll usually take the morning dose around 9am(after I've gotten out of bed, showered, & seen my daughter off to school) and the "noon" dose around 4:00 p.m.

The reason I started self-adjusting the times I take the medicine is because, back when I was on Ritalin, I noticed that the "noon" dose was not lasting me very long, especially on the days I worked. By the time I would get home at 4pm, I'd be zonked out on the couch, bed, etc, and be fighting to open my eyes, let alone keep them open and stay awake. So I figured it wouldn't hurt anything if I took the Ritalin later in the day, like on my way home from work. That way, as I'm walking in the house at 4pm, the medication would just be kicking in and I'd be good for a couple hours. WRONG!! On Ritalin, this theory didn't work. But on Adderall, it has worked like a charm. And as I mentioned before, with my husband gone several days a week and me being the only parent at home for my daughter, I NEED to be awake, stay awake, and feel awake....if not for me, then at least for her.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
(female)

wisangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineanddandy View Post
Actually, it is. When "anorexia" is listed as a side effect, it means "loss of appetite". It's there.

I thought that tiredpoet's suggestions were very helpful.
Hmmm, I'm not sure how I missed anorexia, or where you found it, beucase this is what I found on Provigil's website: "Common side effects of PROVIGIL are headache, nausea, nervousness, stuffy nose, diarrhea, back pain, anxiety, trouble sleeping, dizziness, and upset stomach."

Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I think the difference is that one of you is looking at "patient information" and one is looking at "full prescribing information".

Last edited by index.html; 01-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
(female)

fineanddandy HB User

I apologize. I seem to have helped derail this thread.

Whether it is listed as a side effect or not, loss of appetite and weight loss have been problems for both wisangel and jcklecka. I offered some suggestions for dealing with it as did tiredpoet. I hope they are helpful.

Good luck to both of you!

Closed Thread