It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
Pressure sore from CPAP Mask.

Hello all, I have been using an ultra Mirage 11 full face mask for 2 months now. I have always had red marks on my face when I wake up, and now I have a pressure sore that is really painful. Is there anything I can put on my face before bed that might help with this like powder or lotion?

I have made my mask as loose as I possibly can for it not to leak air and wake me up all night long, so loosening my straps is not an option as I am wearing it pretty loose and I am still waking up with a red face and marks. they do go down some once I am up and the mask is off, but 2 are always there and are raised and quite red and sore.. I have now developed a pressure sore on my nose to where the mask sits, and its red and painful too so I have 3 area's on my face that are red, raised and sore with a an actual sore on my cheek and nose. This really bites as the mask I am using is farily comfortable so I would hate to try a new one but I may be forced to. the nasal pilows don't work for me.... so I need the full mask... I am able to sleep through the night now with it on which is a very good thing and I am feeling better during the day now with more energy and less sleepy. It took me 2 months to notice I felt better during the day, not the week the Dr told me it would. Is this also normal?

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate anthing you can tell me that might help my situation.

SS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Pressure sore from CPAP Mask.

Vitamin E oil, vaseline lip balm, dove deep moisturizing lotion. These are what we use. Vit E for my husband, lip balm for my son (5 yr), and I use elidel/metrogel/dove. Two are scripts for my thyroid aggravated dry skin and other issues. A little grease is perfectly acceptable and actually improves the mask seal in my families opinion.

MG

PS

MOJO has a full gel face mask. It is moldable. You will either like it or not. You might want to check with your respirtory therapist and see if they have one you can test.

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-15-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Pressure sore from CPAP Mask.

I can still remember a mask that caused those problems for me. It felt like I had an arrow going through my forehead 2 days AFTER I stopped using the mask.

Sounds like the mask is not a good one for you, despite what you think. Have you tried any of the gel masks that just go over the nose? I have found them to be the best---although I keep a full face mask handy in case I have a cold.

If you insist on keeping the mask you have, one option would be to use mole skin on your face under your mask...and yes, it is generically called mole skin and is used to protect the skin.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread