It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

karlaondracek37 HB User
why am I having night sweats

Hi. I am 37 and have been having horrible night sweats for about a year....they were happening about once or twice every two weeks.... In the last couple months, they have gotten significantly worse. I am having them at least three times a week. I went off the pill two years ago and noticed that my periods are much worse. I just had a complete blood profile and everything looked great. I am a fitness instructor and feel like I am very concious of my diet. I, too, am tired of getting up and interupting my sleep to change my clothes. And, I too, do this many times, more than once a night. I sleep in a cool room in only my underwear to try to keep cool and that isn't helping either. Any ideas?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
(male)

beach8411 HB User
Re: why am I having night sweats

are you taking any antidepressants or other medications?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Get a complete thyroid panel run with a TSI and TPOAb antibody check. It sounds a lot like your thyroid. Normal range does not mean optimal function or even normal for you.

Your TSH ~1
FT3 and FT4 should be between 50-80% lower and you are looking hypothyroid, higher and you are looking hyperthyroid.
TPOAb 95% positive identifier of Hashimoto's thyroiditis
TSI 75-80 % positive identifier of Graves Disease

You can get this done and post your results on the thyroid board and a slew of experienced sufferes will be able to tell you what they think. But the night sweats and loss of period sound like early onset menopause as a result of underactive thyroid production. Are you having issues gaining or losing weight? Look into the symptoms of both hyperT and hypoT and Hashimoto's which can start out as hyperT early with a nice roller coaster ride to hypoT.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

I too suffer from night sweats. My OB Gyn suggested I could be going through PERI menapouse. I started taking some natural herbs ( Black Cohosh) and it worked. This can be done with a simple blood test to test your FSH hormone

Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
(female)

KBM HB User

Hi..I am 44 years old now and at about 37 or 38 I started going through perimenopause. What I found helped me was I always had a fan in my bedroom with a remote. I would keep it on very low directed at me. To this day I still have the fan in my room and am still going through night sweats though not nearly as bad. At times it was so bad I swore something was wrong with the fan because I didn't feel the breeze on me at all. Night sweats are horrible and disrupt good sleep. Sometimes I would even leave a damp wash cloth on my night stand so that I could cool myself when need........along with the fan it lessened the intensitiy of it................KBM

Last edited by KBM; 01-31-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Did the blood profile include your thyroid and your hormone level.(FSH & TSH) Are you on any other medications? What did the doctor think about the sweating every night? perhaps you are starting into that early menopause thing? Obviously there is something going on and your doc hasn't found it yet. I am sure others have more thoughts on this subject. By the way I lived for 20 years near Sammamish...nice area.

Closed Thread