It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

dannyp HB User
o2 levels in the 50-60's while I sleep? Is that bad?

Hi,
I was in the hospital for heart related reasons for a few weeks.
I slept with a oxygebn sensor one night on my finger. During the night I woke up and looked at the machine and saw 68. My understanding is that it is a low figure. I asked the doctor about it the next day and he told me I was in the 50's but didn't say anymore about it. He had a sleep study done the following night. With the sensors on my head, chest, legs, and the sensor on my finger.
It has been 4 weeks since I had that done. Still nothing went back to my family doctor about it. I even called the doctor who did it to ask for the imformation to be forwarded to my family doctor. Still nothing.
I asked my family doctor about it and he said if I was in the 50-60 range I needed a cpap machine.
He gave me a prescription for a cpap trial. He guessed at 2-3l/min ???
I can't really read it well.
I am wondering how low 50-60 is? The doctor at the hospital said I didn't stay there long enough to make it an emergency??

I'm confused and very unaware of this whole condition?
Basically HELP! What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by dannyp; 03-30-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

lamac HB User
Re: o2 levels in the 50-60's while I sleep? Is that bad?

Hello dannyp...

During a sleep study I was told they were checking...(besides looking for sleep apnea)...to see if my oxygen level went below 90. Mine didn't, but the doctor told me there is concern if the level consistantly drops into the 80s. On a regular doctor visit the other day the nurse checked my Oxygen level and it was 98. She said that was good...normal.

I hope that gives you some indication of yours. I also use a cpap machine at night.

Lamac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Often this is caused by you breathing too shallow during sleep. Over time this causes you to become O2 deprived. If you fall below 90% your brain and metabolism are not getting enough O2 to do their jobs. It is a form of apnea and requires the CPAP to work. My husband has this disorder and my son has it as well as my obnstructive sleep apnea. It is treatable and you will feel better soon if you can keep up with that CPAP.

SIncerely,
MG

Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

Dansgrl HB User

Mine dropped to 82 and the doctor said even if I held my breath, I would never get that low. I am on cpap and my level is 14. I do have the ramp feature that allows me to start at a pressure of 4.5 and go up to 14 over half an hour, which allows me usually to get to sleep without the high pressure bothering me. He shouldn't have to guess on your level, he should have done a titration. Did they put a mask on you at all to see what level you had the least amount of apneas or hypops?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
(male)

dannyp HB User

Hi,
I didn't try a cpap yet. I'm still waiting for my call from the sleep center.
I'm surprised at how little imformation they are giving me.
The doctor who did the sleep studt ordered a MRI for me. I went for teh MRI yesterday. I won't have any results until later this month when my family doctor gets back from his vacation. It's going to be a long wait.

What is "hypops"?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hypopneas.. it is a different type of suppressed breathing/apnea. Like white and brown sugar are two different types of sugar.

MG

Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

If your oxygen dropped that low, yes, that is seriously serious as you have virtually stopped breathing but apparantly recovered. I use O2 at night because I have lung problems and it was prescribed because my O2 dropped a couple times to 87. Anything under 88 is a strain on the heart and can cause enlarged heart among other things. You need to be aggressive in getting this resolved. Someone has dropped the ball so you better pick it up. Whether or not you need the C-pap or/and you need oxygen but it is nothing to fool with.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
(male)

dannyp HB User

Thanks for your input.

Here it is 4am and I am awake for the second time tonight.
I called the sleep center today and they spoke to the doctor who was on duty in the ER on my last visit last friday night. That doctor reviewed my phone book style medical record since Feb. She called me at home the following night to see how I was doing. I ended back in the ER this past monday am with pneumonia. The ER doctor from the friday night called the sleep center herself to try to speed things up for me.
I had a MRI of my brain completed last week. No tumours thank god!
But they found a handful of Hypersensitive spots on my brain???
I'm wondering what that means? I'm waiting for my family doctor to get back from his vacation to find out. It's going to be a long wait.

Last edited by dannyp; 04-12-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Wow, I don't know what hypersensitive spots on the brain mean. I had had 2 MRI of the head in the past two years and the only they they said was age-related cholesteral so know nothing about sensitive spots. Strange phrase.

What I wouldn't give to only wake up once or twice a night. I wake up every hour on the hour until about 4AM and then sleep till about 8. Just not sure why. Even with a sleeping pill which seems to have not much effect on me.

Last edited by Canyondweller; 04-12-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: additional comments

Closed Thread