It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
(female)

jy001 HB User
Sleep paralysis?

Ive been sick of some unknown infection since September 07. Have been on and off long courses of antibiotics since then and have constant 'brain fog' hazyness 24/7 as well as periodic fevers when my infection starts creeping back after the antibiotics..and sometimes during.

Anyway since ive been ill ive had some very strange and terrifying sleep disturbances. I looked the symptoms up on the net and came back with sleep paralysis. The thing is it always happens when i have a fever..when im starting to get sick again..so that makes me think its associated with my illness?

What happens is I will start drifting off to sleep..or sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and feel like im being pushed against the bed (or moving really fast..it feels like a g-force bascially) i wont be able to move or talk but am conscious of my surroundings. Its happened when my boyfriends been in the bed and ive tried crying out and moving deperately and i cant move and feel very lightheaded and literally thing 'this is it im going to die'. Its horrible.

I mentioned it to my doctor and he just said have you wet the bed or bitton your tongue/cheeks..i said no and that was that..he didnt seem to have a clue.

I just find it strange that it happens when im ill and have a fever..and no other time. I also sometimes only get partial paralysis where ill get the g-force feeling and lightheaded and feel myself 'slipping' into it..but ill somehow manage to pull myself out of it before it goes to far...which results in me waking up a dozen times when a jolt..then not wanting to go to sleep because everytime i drift i get that awful feeling..sort of like vertigo as well.

Anyway any advice would be great...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

thereseg79 HB User
Re: Sleep paralysis?

I don't have any advice, but I just want to let you know that I have been suffering from this condition since I was about 15 and I'm 29 now, so you are not alone. It happens off and on. It happens when I'm stressed. It is the most uncomfortable thing. I use to be terrified because it felt like my fear emotion was turned up, sometimes I would hear and see things that were not there. Because I am a spiritual person I associated the fear with "demons" I am no longer scared just annoyed when it happens. I do pray in my head when it happens and then I have to turn on a light, stay up for a little while, or change my sleep position. And I usually have a headache when I wake up too. I have read that there are medicines you can take if it is a real problem for you. Your doctor probably thought you were having a seizure. My oldest son suffers from nocturnal partial/complex seizures and he wakes up in the middle of the night either screaming like he is afraid or laughing or crying. It's strange. Genetically my side of my family suffers from nuerological conditions. And it seems, sleep paraylsis is one of them.

Closed Thread