It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
(female)

wisangel HB User
My body suddenly "spasms" during sleep.....

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this happening. If you have, what is it, is it treatable, etc.

For starters, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy back in 2005 and have been on medication ever since. Currently, I take Adderall at 30mg 2x/day, which has proven to be very effective for me. In the past, I have tried both Provigil & Ritalin, but had no improvement or long-lasting improvement of my symptoms.

Recently, my husband mentioned a new & strange thing going on with me during my sleep. According to him, there have been several occasions in the past couple months, where I have been completely sound asleep(sometimes for hours) when all of a sudden my body goes into a complete "spasm". The "spasms" only last for a couple seconds, have no preceeding warning sign(s), and occur randomly & out-of-the-blue. Also, my husband doesn't think I've been awake during any of these "spasms", but he can't say for sure. If I have been, he said that I don't appear to be, never say anything, and don't do anything or make any other types of motions, other than continue on sleeping. On the contrary, he said that he's woken up several times during one of these episodes because the sudden "spasming" of my body scares the heck-out-of-him.

In addition to my husband's experiences, my 11 y/o daughter mentioned to me earlier that she also saw me do the exact same thing last night. Apparently, I fell asleep around 4:30pm, shortly after getting home from work & while still in my scrubs. Originally, I fell asleep on my bed with the tv on. At some point, my daughter came in my room and tried waking me up. When she couldn't get me fully awake & aroused(I apparently grumbled & changed positions, but that was it), she gave up & started watching tv while I continued on sleeping. Then, suddenly & out of the blue, she said my whole body started "shaking" for a couple seconds and then just stopped. She also stated that my eyes were open & appeared to be "staring" at her while the "shaking" occurred. Unfortunately, I don't recall any of this. In fact, I can't recall anything that happened just prior to my falling asleep &/or if I even felt tired. All I do remember is my husband trying several times to wake me up, yet I couldn't because I felt so overwhelmingly tired & was having an extremely difficult time opening my eyes. It honestly felt like someone had glued them closed. Then, around 9:30pm-ish, I somehow managed to wake up enough to walk into the room where my husband was & actually carry on a conversation with him. But he said it only lasted a short time because I laid down on the couch across from him & apparently fell back asleep within 15 minutes and remained that way for the rest of the the night until I woke up at 5:15 am today.

Ironically, this is the 2nd time in less than 2 weeks, where I have fallen asleep really early in the evening and basically slept the remainder of the night & w/o waking up until the next morning. With the 1st time, I believe I ended up sleeping almost 16 hours straight.

Does anyone have a clue on what's happening with me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
(female)

chickenxx HB User
Re: My body suddenly "spasms" during sleep.....

Hi
sorry I don't have any answer for you but I experienced something similar...
About a year ago I was asleep and I had a dream that I had telepathic powers and was interacting with other telepathics, and my "gift" was so powerful when reading someones mind that I began to shake in the dream, but it was so violent and powerful that it felt like my brain was shaking. I was puzzled the next morning but carried on as normal through the day. Anyway I got tired at about mid-day so I took a nap, and as I was in a light sleep I suddenly felt my whole body begin to shake violently again and I realised I was having full body spasms. It didn't happen again so I put it down to stress and the depression I was going through at that time.
Anyway, because you have narcolepsy I do think you should talk to your doctor about this as soon as possible, you never know with these things.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: My body suddenly "spasms" during sleep.....

Several things come to mind...first off, I would check the side effects on the package inserts and elsewhere of the medications that you are presently taking for anything that sounds like what you are experiencing. Keep in mind when you review side effects, they are often understated and you have to sometimes read between the lines (mood disorders may be listed as a side effect but the reality may be suicidal tendencies for instance).

Secondly, report what you are telling us to your doctor... "spasms" with your eyes open may be seizures of some kind.

Thirdly, sometimes movements occur during the night and these are called periodic limb movements. Electrolyte imbalances (magnesium in particular), and iron deficiencies can cause these movements...but sometimes they are not able to determine the cause.

Those are just a few things that come to mind...but do contact your doctor.

Bethsheba

Do check for the symptoms of an overdose of adderall...I think you might find some things of interest.

Last edited by bethsheba; 05-13-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Closed Thread