It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

jinx2418 HB User
My son runs around sreaming in sleep.. what the heck man?

Hi. My son has been waking up every night at exactly 10:35pm, after about an hour and a half or so of sleep... screaming and running back and forth as if something is chasing him down. When I try to wake him up, he screams and hits me as if he doesn't even know it's me. I have to shake him a bit and yell and turn his face to me and hug him before he realizes it's me. Then he gets freaked out and says I have to go back to bed now... when I talk to him in the morning about it, he doesn't even remember it happening and says what am I talking about! i'm really scared for him but don't know what to do or what is happening.

It hasn't been happening recently but he does scream a bit at night and he wakes up all the time. He says he needs to go to the bathroom like 5 times a night. He doesn't even drink anything! I don't understand!

He also has ADHD, hyperactivity type and I don't think he gets enough sleep as it is. Last night he didn't sleep until 2 am! Oh, and he's 7 years old. It's driving me nuts!!! Any thoughts?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: My son runs around sreaming in sleep.. what the heck man?

This is a condition I don't know much, but have experienced a few times, called night terrors.
It is like sleepwalking, in that the person experiencing it is unaware that they are asleep.
It happened to my son a couple of times when he was three, and then never again.
I had a foster son for a year. It happened to him a few times. He was trying to bolt out the door, and screamed everything from your worst nightmare. "Let me go. You're killing me.
Get your hands off me. I'm dying.", and things like that. I couldn't believe none of the neighbors called the police. My wife had heard that you should not intentionally wake up a person who is experiencing night terrors. She stood in front of him, and clapped her hands together, until he came to. When he did, he was fine.
Before he came to, he was a real danger. He was trying to run out into the street.
I think it is a panic attack while sleepwalking. That's my best guess.
Good luck with your boy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
(female)

jinx2418 HB User

Thanks. I have to take him to get checked out. Luckily we are seeing a child psychologist next week so I can ask her to refer me to get some help for this problem. I really don't know what to do. It hasn't been happening lately, but he still takes forever to go to sleep and wakes up so often. I can see that he is sleep deprived and I think it is making life even harder for him, and me!! We'll see though. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Night terrors certainly could be a possibility, but if he's taking any medication for his conditions, you need to first need to look at side effects! Many kinds of sleep disturbances can be caused by meds...and the side effects don't always s top and start when you start and stop meds so doctors and patients don't always make the connection.

If your son is taking any medication whatsover, I would strongly encourage you to check with your pharmacist, and do extensive research into the side effects before doing anything else. Theoretically, one should check with the doctor about these things too, but I personally have found the physicians to be the least well informed...and statistics bear this out.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread