It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
? about sleep clinic - what if I can't fall a sleep during study

I am going to a sleep clinic next Wednesday. The doctor gave me a perscription for sleeping pills. They make me relax but I don't fall asleep. I was told I have to sleep during the study. Does anyone know what they will do if I don't fall asleep? Are they going to have me take 3 or 4 sleeping pills?

Sandi

Last edited by sandi2932; 05-31-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: ? about sleep clinic - what if I can't fall a sleep during study

Hi Sandy,

I don't know what they will do if you can't fall asleep but you can certainly call your doctor's office and ask. I suspect different doctors and different clinics do not handle these situations the same way.

I, too, had concerns about not being able to fall alseep, especially being hooked up to 25 electrodes and sleeping. When I told the technician about my concern, she told me that most people have this concern but few people don't fall asleep. In my case, I was out within 8 minutes despite sleeping until noon that day (which I was not supposed to do, groan).

But even though most people fall asleep for the study, there are those who don't so do check with your doctor's office as I would think you would feel better knowing beforehand what the protocol would be.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Don't mean to worry you, but being an insomniac, I have so much trouble falling asleep, and I didn't sleep enough during my first study for them to get any useful information. So, we did a second one and upped the dose of sleep meds so I would fall asleep. It was successful and they were able to diagnose my severe case of sleep apnea as well as confirm my RLS....

Try to get as much help as you can to fall asleep....and try not to worry about it. (I know it's much easier said than done.)

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
Sleep study results. I was awake but told I was sleeping

I had my sleep study last Wednesday. I told the doctor during my evaluation that I don't sleep at all and he said I am sleeping. He said if someone walked into the room I would know it and if they snapped their fingers I would be awake. During the study, my eyes were really heavy and I was opening and closing my eyes. One of the staff came in and adjusted the pulse thing on my finger. I saw her come in and then I just opened my eyes. She said I was
asleep but to me I wasn't. It was just like the doctor said. I don't know the results yet. I'm worried that it is sleep apnea. They said if I don't get a call back that I have to go back in this Wednesday. If I don't get a call does that mean it will be sleep apnea? What else would they have me go back in for?

Sandi

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
(male)

bodieiv HB User
Re: Sleep study results. I was awake but told I was sleeping

I have suffered with insomnia for the past fifteen years. I could have made a bet for one million dollars that I did not sleep a minute. I went to my sleep study and I do have sleep apnea. This insomnia was awful. This past year I went through a treatment center for addiction to klonipan. This treatment center dealt with much more than drug addiction but the root causes of the addiction. Long story is that I was dealing with childhood trauma that I had suppressed all my life. (sexual abuse) I became addicted to klonipan as it was the only drug that would let me sleep at night. But after this year, I will admi that even in my nights that I could sware I go no sleep I have found that was not the case at all. I did sleep but not in rim for very long. Sleep apnea and my trauma was my root cause of my insomnia. I do have nights that are better than others. I am on anti depressant Elavil.

God bless and good luck.

btw.. It took about three weeks for the results to come back and if you have to go back then you probably do have sleep apnea. I had to stay another night so they could determined what air pressure I needed on the CPap machine. If you have to be on CPap , I noticed on that second stay wearing a mask, I felt better in the morning even though I could swear I did not sleep very well.

Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi2932 View Post
I had my sleep study last Wednesday. I told the doctor during my evaluation that I don't sleep at all and he said I am sleeping. He said if someone walked into the room I would know it and if they snapped their fingers I would be awake. During the study, my eyes were really heavy and I was opening and closing my eyes. One of the staff came in and adjusted the pulse thing on my finger. I saw her come in and then I just opened my eyes. She said I was
asleep but to me I wasn't. It was just like the doctor said. I don't know the results yet. I'm worried that it is sleep apnea. They said if I don't get a call back that I have to go back in this Wednesday. If I don't get a call does that mean it will be sleep apnea? What else would they have me go back in for?

Sandi

Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodieiv View Post
... This treatment center dealt with much more than drug addiction but the root causes of the addiction. Long story is that I was dealing with childhood trauma that I had suppressed all my life. (sexual abuse) I became addicted to klonipan as it was the only drug that would let me sleep at night. But after this year, I will admi that even in my nights that I could sware I go no sleep I have found that was not the case at all. I did sleep but not in rim for very long. Sleep apnea and my trauma was my root cause of my insomnia. I do have nights that are better than others. I am on anti depressant Elavil. ....
Bodie,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us...it helps all of us better understand and hopefully, better support each other. I do want to say I am very sorry you experienced the trauma you experienced and want to offer support however I can.

I hope you will continue to post...there are others who have posted who I strongly suspect have similar histories, and similar sleep problems, but they haven't begun to conciously deal with their trauma. Hopefully, all of you will find support and some answers to your sleep problems.

Take care.

Bethsheba

Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi2932 View Post
... I'm worried that it is sleep apnea. They said if I don't get a call back that I have to go back in this Wednesday. If I don't get a call does that mean it will be sleep apnea? What else would they have me go back in for?...
Sandi,

Why would you be worried that it is sleep apnea? I"m asking because it is a very, very common condition, and cpap treatment, if needed, can be 100 percent effective and med free. There are also other treatments available...it's just that I have personal experience with cpap.

Who knows why they call and why they don't call...why not give them a call and ask them?

Just for the record, I had my study done in one night...I can't remember the reasoning for this...but the nurse called within a week with a prescription to see the respiratory therapists about being fitted with a cpap...I'm just telling you this because everyone seems to have a slightly different experience with their study, their diagnosis, and their treatment. So don't freak, if it's a bit different than what our experiences have been.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Bethsheba is right--no need to worry just because your doctor isn't doing things exactly the way some of us have experienced.

Just about everything can be treated in one way or another. You are doing the right thing by participating in the study and waiting to discuss the results with your doctor. Some people know they are tired and have a problem, but never do anything about it, and, as a result, experience potentially life-threatening consequences. You are being pro-active about your health, hon, so relax and wait to see what the doc recommends.

You're going to be fine!!

Blessings,
Tex

Closed Thread