It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
(male)

261stu HB User
Unhappy What to do when Ambien CR does not work

hi guys, for the last few months I've been taken Ambien CR 12.5 nightly. normally it puts me out after about an hour, but 2-3 nights a week it just does not work. I suspect that it has something to do with the Hydrocodone/APAP which i also take at night.

Tonight i took the Ambien at 10:45pm and here I am typing this up at 12:35pm and still in full control of my faculties. Does anyone know of something that i could take to get off to sleep when this happens?

I've tried lots of others over the last few years like regular
ambien, Lunesta, Diazapam, Temazapan and Rozerum each of which just didn't send me to sleep or didn't last long enough

stu

Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

KLPEACH HB User
Re: What to do when Ambien CR does not work

Hello,
I have been taking ambien cr for almost 2 years and the only time I have trouble sleeping while taking it was if I am having a flare-up of jaw pain, or I am so severly stressed that it doesn't work unless I add Klonopin then it works great, I don't add the klonopin on a regular basis just during a major stressor.

Klonopin is the brand name there is a generic, it comes from the valium family, maybe you can try that. I do think that some medications might interfer, so you might want to check with your phamacist they will know.

I wish you luck, email me back if you have any more questions.

Goodnight,
Kathy - California

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
(male)

261stu HB User

Thanks, I'll ask my doctor about it next time I see him.

I'm off to bed again to try to catch the CR prtion and see if it can get me to dreamland

Stu

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
(female)

KLPEACH HB User

Hello,
I forgot to tell you something about ambien cr that I was told by my doctor. If you eat before you take it won't work as well, and I found out this was true at least one to two hours, you can do it if you try, its hard especially if you are a late night eater.

Good luck.
Kathy - California

Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

littlesadone HB User

Hey, I was going to mention the eating before taking it too...that really does seem to effect it when I take it......my directions for ambien say to take it on an empty stomach....

Is it possilbe your body has gotten accustomed to it and isn't working for you? I know at times, I've had to go off of Ambien for a week or two and then it would go back to working...yes, those two weeks are pretty miserable but??

The CR never worked for me....it didn't put me to sleep, let alone stay asleep.....I use the regular ambien.........I may wake up but I can go right back to sleep usually......have you tried just regular ambien???

Our bodies are all so different, it's just tiral and error something to find out what works for you............

GOod luck....hope you find something that works for you....

Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Be careful with the Klonopin. I took it for an extended period and it ended up giving me some serious depression/rage episodes, and I had to wean off of it. Some people have reported some really severe withdrawal when they tried to get off the Klonopin. This includes depression and rebound insomnia (just what we need!)

You can also supplement your Ambien CR with something else, perhaps Xanax, or promethazine (generic Phenergan, the anti-nausea med). The promethazine has a nice sedating quality to it without much side effect. You could give another try with the regular Ambien if your trouble lies more in falling asleep as opposed to staying asleep. Make sure you get the maximum dose.

If you have additional health issues other than insomnia, such as fibromyalgia or other chronic pain like migraines, other medications such as Lyrica, Topamax, Neurontin or tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil) can be sedating... so much so that you might want to sleep all the time. But they can be useful in helping you establish a solid cycle of sleeping regularly. Elavil worked for me for many years, although I did gain a lot of weight on it. The generic is amitryptiline. It stopped working for me after about 8 years.

I am going through a tough spell of insomnia myself right now, likely due to a change in my meds for chronic pain, and my sleep meds are not working for me, either. I may have to make a change to get out of this cycle of non-sleep I'm in (about 3 weeks now). It really stinks when it takes 5-6 hours to fall sleep!

Good luck; let us know what works for you!

Blessings,
TexMom

Closed Thread