It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
(male)

RedMan1972 HB User
Ambien CR and Sleep Apnea

Sorry to bother all of you but I'm new to this. I just had my sleep study today. Since my insurance doesn't pay they did the split night thing. I ended up with the CPAP on so I figure I have sleep apnea.

My problem is I have extreme trouble falling asleep and the only thing that seems to help is Ambien CR. Is it true you could quit breathing, etc. from sleep apnea and not wake up because of Ambien? I am at the end of my rope and ready to risk it. I can't stand another sleepless night.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User
Re: Ambien CR and Sleep Apnea

Red,

If you have apnea, taking sleep aids could definitely increase your risk if you are not on CPAP, because of the sedative effects. Does the Ambien really knock you out, or just help you sleep? Even though I take a ton of things for my insomnia, if I should happen to fall asleep without my mask, the apnea usually wakes me up. A lot depends on the severity of your apnea and how sedated you really are after taking sleep aids. Would a thunderstorm wake you after taking Ambien CR? A dog barking close by? If so, you'll probably be okay to take it before you get your CPAP machine.

Once your CPAP diagnosis is confirmed, see if your insurance company will at least negotiate a reduced rate on a machine for you. See if you can find a refurbished or pre-owned machine, it might be a good deal cheaper. You will need a professional to apply the proper settings, but it shouldn't be that costly, especially if you get the results of your study to share with that person. Does the insurance company just not cover treatment for apnea at all, or just not the sleep study?

Apnea and insomnia make for a lousy combination, as I can attest. Try not to worry about it (I know, easier said than done) and do the best you can to get your ailments treated properly. At least you are on your way to getting all the information you need to get treated...but I know personally how hard it is when you aren't sleeping. My advice, (and I am not a medical professional, so please, no malpractice suits!) is to focus on your insomnia for now and get the CPAP as soon as you can, after getting your results. Going without sleep is very dangerous, too, and you must allow your body to refresh itself in order to function properly.

Please let us know how you're doing....I will definitely have you in my prayers.

Blessings,
Tex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread