HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sleep Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sleep-disorders/)
-   -   Sleep Paralysis Advice (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sleep-disorders/618597-sleep-paralysis-advice.html)

clownfish1485 07-17-2008 10:10 PM

Sleep Paralysis Advice

Hi all,

I'm 22 and for as long as I can remember, I have had sleep paralysis. It has never been frequent, only a few times every 1-2 months. I should also mention that I sleep on my stomach and am not on any medications. I get around 7-9 hours of sleep a night, but do typically stay up later than most.

I have never had a hallucination during the paralysis. I can see all around me but can't move my limbs or anything below my neck, so, to wake up I have to struggle to lift my head up. I've noticed that when my fiance and I are laying and watching tv or a movie and I doze off (on my back), I have had sleep paralysis almost each time. She's become accustomed to seeing me twitch and waking me up. Today when we were watching tv, I had paralysis twice. The second time I tried to relax during it but panicked when I felt like I couldn't breathe. I've NEVER felt that way before. I don't remember waking up short of breath, though. So was this just a hallucination, or can you really stop breathing during sleep paralysis? Also, does it have any correlation to sleeping on your back?

Thanks in advance!

drs 07-18-2008 04:36 AM

Re: Sleep Paralysis Advice

Clownfish, I used to get this a lot too. Here's what I found that works. If you are aware of when this is happening, which it's sounds like you are, wiggle your fingers or toes, it does help wake you up. The pressure on your chest is your astrical body trying to get back into your physical body.

A couple of times when I was aware of this happening I did an experiment, I knew this was going on again, I shut my eyes, got up out of bed in my head and walked through a door into the other room, how weird is that! I also went on a flying trip as this is my favorite type of dream. When I wanted to wake up I wiggle my toes or fingers, it does wake me up and those are the only parts of my body I could move when this happens. Hope it works for you. Diana

justjude1952 07-23-2008 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=drs;3652633]Clownfish, I used to get this a lot too. Here's what I found that works. If you are aware of when this is happening, which it's sounds like you are, wiggle your fingers or toes, it does help wake you up. The pressure on your chest is your astrical body trying to get back into your physical body.

A couple of times when I was aware of this happening I did an experiment, I knew this was going on again, I shut my eyes, got up out of bed in my head and walked through a door into the other room, how weird is that! I also went on a flying trip as this is my favorite type of dream. When I wanted to wake up I wiggle my toes or fingers, it does wake me up and those are the only parts of my body I could move when this happens. Hope it works for you. Diana[/QUOTE]

I just can't believe this! I have suffered from this issue since I was a little girl! I thought I was the only one. The way I get out of this state is to calmly tell myself that it's just a dream, I'm ok and wait...it doesn't take long for the spell to end after that. The real key here is to keep calm. Hope this helps you. I know it can be a terrible feeling. Jude

strawberri 07-29-2008 08:13 AM

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy and my doctor told me that if I wanted something to suppress the sleep paralysis he would prescribe me an anti-depressant such as Prozac. I don't want to take anything but it is an option. I have to sleep with a little light on and the fan and this helps so much. I also don't go up to bed until I'm very tired and if my boyfriend isn't there I talk to him on the phone while I'm falling asleep. I only get it about once every other month now, as opposed to around twice a week with bad hallucinations. If I even try to fall sleep in the total dark and quiet now I start to get it almost immediately.

jvirtue 09-11-2008 08:06 PM

I know this is a late reply but I just got home from a sleep clinic today and reading that others have the same thing is a little more comforting. The whole not being able to breath thing is exactly what scares me. I am 33 now, and this has been going on all my life, When I explained all this to my wife she didn't believe me. I could tell her whole conversations she had while she thought I was sleeping. It is so hard not to panic whe you have to concentrate on breathing. I have tried to wiggle fingers, toes, move my hand inch by inch, I get nothing. What I've found out is that it's a safety machanism your body has to keep you from walking in your sleep. Since we (narcoleptics) fall into REM sleep very quickly we are awake when our brain fires the receptors to cause paralysis. Most people are asleep when this happens or the affects are worn off by the time they wake up. Just try to stay calm, you aren't alone. It's nice to know I'm not.

justjude1952 09-11-2008 11:30 PM

Yes everyone, it is nice to know we are not alone. As a child, I tried to explain this to my parents and they said it was just a bad dream. I know better now. I remember trying to move any part of my body or even trying to scream because I was so frightened and nothing worked. It took many years to figure out to just stay calm and it would pass. It is such a weird experience...your mind is functioning, but your body won't respond in any way. I hope everyone is helped by these posts. Just the fact that we all know now that we aren't crazy will help!! lol...Good night all, God bless, sweet dreams...Jude :angel: :yawn:

Michelle1977 10-17-2008 11:59 AM

im so glad i found this board!

i finally found that this is what is going on with me. Its happened quite a few times. And im such a lucid dreamer that i thought i myself was causing this in some way. I thought i was being visited by passed on relatives.

I see things when this happens. The first time it happened i saw a man standing in my closet. this was my first expirience with this. i knew i was awake because my daughter was sleeping next to me and when i saw the man i tried reaching out to protect my daughter from him. and i couldnt move

The second time it happened i could only look straight ahead which peered into my hallway and i saw a shirt suspened in mid air like it was going to walk down the stairs!

Then this past time was monday night. I woke up unable to move again and i could only look out of the corner of my eye and i saw a greyish film in the air over my shoulder and i felt like someone was holding me down. I was struggling to wake my husband. Finally i was able to let out a groan and he woke up and helped me. he said "what the heck was that" and i told him someone was holding me down and i couldnt move.
I swear i thought i lost my mind lol now theres an explanation!!!

drs 10-18-2008 05:29 AM

Michelle, I think this happens to a lot of people that just don't say anything about it. I used to have this happen quite a bit, now, not so much. I try and control the situation and sometimes I can. When it happens next time, remember it's a dream state and you can do what you want in it. See what happens. Diana

claire1010 11-23-2008 04:51 PM

Thank God - I thought I was alone or that what I was experiencing was apart of my Epilepsy. Often, not Ness after a dream, I will wake up, can see around the room, but when I try to move a limb I can't, or when I try to talk I can't. I can hear things around me and one time this happened I heard my Dad walking down the hall and aldough I couldn't move I managed to Call Dad! With struggle, and when he came into my room wanted to scream lift up my arm or move one of my limbs! but as I wasn't moving he assumed I was talking in my sleep or he imagined it so he closed my door. I could hear him talking to my mum, and after a few seconds of concentrating on my body I was finally able to move so I jumped out of bed as I was afraid it would happen again. Help!!!!

claire1010 11-23-2008 04:55 PM

Sleep Paralysis scares me :( Im wondering is it linked from my Epilepsy? I am not a deep sleeper, I Find it hard to sleep from my Epilepsy Meds. Help!!!! I is scared right now :(

drs 11-26-2008 03:34 AM

Claire, it's not easy but you do have control in this situation, I usually wake up if I wiggle my toes or fingers, not the whole arm or leg, they won't move. Like I said earlier, you can do all kinds of things if you remember that you are able to when this happens. I close my eye's relax and try to get out of bed, I once did this and was able to walk through the door and down the hall, I guess you can even observe who else is in the house. It takes some practice. Now I don't have this happen often, maybe once in the last two years. What ever your favorite type of dream is you can access it in this state. I like to fly in my dreams and one time I was aware that I was dreaming an decided to fly, it happened. Try not to be afraid, it's not going to hurt you. Diana

claire1010 12-07-2008 12:02 PM

Hey Dianna- Thankyou for your lovely message. I feel slightly better for what I am experiencing. I do try and concentrate as much as I can during these Sleep Paralysis attacks or what ever you call them. You see - I am awake I know I am and I am aware of sounds and things around me, The last time it happened I tryed to close my eyes and dream but I couldn't close my eyes or think of anything. I tried to concentrate really hard on my toes and eventually I was able to wriggle them! It's strange but anyway thank you x x

drs 12-09-2008 03:29 AM

Claire, when you finally were able to move your toes, did you wake up? Diana

claire1010 12-09-2008 02:13 PM

Hey Diana. Yep, When I finally Managed To move my Toes, I then woke up.
It happened Yesterday Morning. Im not sure if I was dreaming or awake, but I could see my room, Lying in bed facing my door. I couldnt move but when I finally moved my toes I woke up and saw my room Lying Facing my bedroom door. Even though it was only 6.30am I didnt go back to sleep coz I was afraid of it again so I got up and Started my day.

You're a star :)

drs 12-13-2008 03:29 AM

I had heard about this years ago, the toes thing, I was like you at first, kind of freaked out. Then I tried some experimenting, when I knew what was happening, I just closed my eyes and I controlled my dream. Weird huh? In order to do that you have to kind of think about it before you fall off to sleep, it's easier to remember what it is you want to do then. Glad to have helped. Diana