It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

Abbylane HB User
Breaking Ambien CR in half

On the information provided with the medication it says not to crush or dissolve, and to only take as a whole pill. What would happen if I break it in half and take it that way? Would I lose the effects or would it just not work as it's designed? I know you can break the regular Ambien, but wasn't sure what would happen if I broke the CR.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
Re: Breaking Ambien CR in half

Do not break any pill that is not scored. Yes, you would mess up the whole idea of the CR by breaking it as the inner core would be disolved too fast. If it isn't scored, don't break it and I don't think it is, particularly if they say that. If you want to do it to save money you probably would be better to just get the generic Ambien at 10mg cause breaking it isn't going to keep you asleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

Abbylane HB User

Thank you for your response. What part of the pill controls the time of release? Is the coating or the inner core? Also, is it dangerous to break the pill or does it just it nullify the controlled release effect? I have been on Ambien since being diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid and ADHD, which has been about 8 years now. Over time the Ambien failed to keep me asleep for very long so the doctor prescribed to me the CR. The CR leaves me with a hang-over effect in the morning, so the doctor then gave me the 6.75mg instead of the 12.5. The 6.75 did nothing so now I am back to the 12.5. I thought I might try to take 3/4 of a tablet to see if that would make a difference, but I don't want to compromise anything.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

I believe it is the inner core as that is how it usually works. The outer part disolves faster and leaves the inner to disolve over time. Other than that I don't know. I just know you are NEVER supposed to cut any pill unless it is scored. You could call the pharmaceutical company and ask though. I did this with a extend tab once for something else. My Dr. said it couldn't be cut but it had a line so I called and they said it was fine to do that. All companies have a customer service number. The other thing you could do is ask the pharmacist. My guess is if you cut it it will all disolve at once but not sure how that will affect you. My guess is that if you have been on Ambien that long it is losing its effectiveness and you may have to try another type of sleeping pill.

Closed Thread