It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

Fracture HB User
VERY Strange "Dreams". Still "dreaming" while awake.

I've had these "dreams" throughout my life and in these "dreams" there's always something that is impossible to prevent from happening, they are so powerful they can cause me to throw up and yet so weak I can snap out of it as soon as i realize I'm "dreaming". The "dreams" are also highly assisted from sleep deprivation.

During my younger stages the dreams were all similar, there would be some type bomb and strange shapes and some how the grass has something to do with the detonation of the bomb. Of course I can't put whats going through my mind into writing. More recent ones have related to what I had being doing in the past week or so. E.G. I read a book before I went to bed, it was about an epic battle in the medieval times and in my "dream" there were these arrows descending from the sky in my direction, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get out of the way.

So basically I have a very odd "dream" but when I wake I'm still "dreaming", I've being trying to find this disorder (if it is one) online but with no luck, so I hope some of you will know what is happening to me. Schizophrenia is also in my family though I do not know if this is related in anyway to the "dreams" I encounter.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: VERY Strange "Dreams". Still "dreaming" while awake.

Fracture,

I too, experience dreams that spill over into between sleep and waking. Mine also are often directly related to my days events, and vice versa. The dreams have both a big impact on my sleeping, and I think about the dreams throughout the day as well.

It's really weird. Could it just be a vivid imagination unleashed in your sub-conscience? I would hate to jump to the conclusion that this is a mental health disorder. I've been on these boards for awhile, but this is the first time I have read the sleep disorder posts. Is "super-dreaming" a disorder? I am facinated to read about other dreamers now...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
(male)

Fracture HB User

You are the first person to reply to my posts. I started thinking I was the only one with these dreams. How often do you get them? I very rarely get them and only seem to get them when starting awake for long periods of time and being active during so (partying with mates). I just hope its not connected with schizophrenia.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

The medical term is Hypnagogic, it's common in both normal folks and in a variety of sleep disorders. Lack of sleep often aggravates sleep disorders. I don't know of any connection with schizophrenia.

The experiences of "dreaming while awake" that occur as you try to wake up are sometimes referred to as Hypnopompic states or "sleep inertia".

I'm no dream interpretor but your nightmares of something catastrophic happening that you have no control over and your fear you might develop schizophrenia (something catastrophic you have no control over) do sound very similar.

Fear is a legitimate response when you have such a devastating illness looming in the family. Finding a way to understand your fear and get a sense of control over it, might help the strange dreams go away.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
(male)

Fracture HB User

After researching Hypnagogia I can say it is not what I am experiencing.

I don't get any visuals or sounds during the state of mind it is just thoughts only (while awake). Even while asleep and in the state of mind there is hardly any vision aspect, I just see objects but there is no "world" like usual dreams. It is like a 2D dream with just plain black as the back-ground and I can faintly make out objects. That is the reason I usual quote dream because it is nothing like a real dream, the only way they are related is they are both experienced while asleep, though these "dreams" continue after i wake up.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I looked up hypnagogic also, and it doesn't fit my experiences either. I am sure that my dreams are not a result of sleep deprivation either.

I believe mine come from medications I take, following 4 strokes, or maybe the strokes themselves. Although I have always had memorable dreams, the ones in the last 5 years have been over the top. I have them every single night, and I often know I am in a dream but can't bring myself out of it.

I often wake up confused and feeling drained, but actually I love my dreams, and I wouldn't want to give them up. It's when I can fly, where in real life, I have been strugglling with my mobility, my speech and my memory.

Closed Thread