It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

mxb558 HB User
Narcolepsy with Bipolar 2

I have severe nacolepsy, severe cataplexy, and recently diagnosed bipolar 2. Nobody (doctors) know what to do. Med's for one problem make one or two of the other problems worse. Off work for over a year. Does anybody have any answers?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
(female)

klyn07 HB User
Re: Narcolepsy with Bipolar 2

I have no advice on the meds. I am seeing a sleep doctor right now and they are checking for narcolepsy. The meds do seem to make it worse, since they have drowsiness as side effects. But I HAVE to have them, I cannot stand the halucinations and mood swings that come with being off meds. It is the lesser of 2 evils.

Are you on disability?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
(male)

Zydol HB User

If you have all those symptoms of narcolepsy you would be depressed based on their impact on you socially. Also 70% of Narcoleptics have depression. The management of narcolepsy and support from family and friends make a difference. Medication particularly stimulants affect your moods. Don't expect too much of yourself, try and manage your life so it works with narcolepsy.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
(female)

tkc2 HB User

Hi my daughter has narcolepsy and i think bipolar to but she seems to be sad all the time and they have put her on all kinds of meds and she went from 114 pounds she now wieghts 165 pounds and the meds she is takeing now is proivigil 200 mg and she eats from the time she gets up she wakes up at night to eat.how can i help my daughter.please help me

Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

mkc34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxb558 View Post
I have severe nacolepsy, severe cataplexy, and recently diagnosed bipolar 2. Nobody (doctors) know what to do. Med's for one problem make one or two of the other problems worse. Off work for over a year. Does anybody have any answers?
HI they say i have narcolepsy and bipolar to but the meds they gave me did not work for me and when they told me that i had narcolepsy that i did not have bipolar so you tell me the meds all have the same side effict so u cant tell what helps and what dont help.I cant even hold a job and am 19 years old and now with no inc cant even find the right help i need.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
(female)

ACWn HB User

Im 20 yrs old and i got diagnosed with narcolepsy w cataplexy almost a year ago. threw out hs s i was probly a freshman i had trouble staying awake during class but i thought it was just becuz it was highschool. i got pregnant my senior yr and thats when it started to hit me hard i was always really tired and when i was falling asleep i would feel like i was paralyzed it was really scary after i had my son it got worse i didnt know what it was i still finished highschool and then afterwards went to college and worked. I believe i actually taught my self to fight it most of the time. i finally went to a neurologist and did a sleep study and thats when they diagnosed me. I can fall asleep (rem) in one minute. they have tried a lot of different medication and it works at the begining then my body gets used to it. I am now currently on adderall which i think is the best med so far. i dont really know what to say about the bipolar i know somtimes i do have mood swings but i really wouldnt say that im bipolar. there is a medicine called xyrem that my doctor is wanting me to be put on. it is really expensive but she said it is probly the one medication that could really help.

Closed Thread