It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

I have a sleep study coming up in a few weeks and I am so nervous that it will be normal (though I don't know how it could be) and they will either tell me there is no known cause or cure for my excessive daytime sleepiness or that they think it's psychological (it isn't, a psychiatrist has already confirmed this).

For anyone with experience having a polysomogram, what types of abnormalities can they detect aside from apneas?

I stick to a schedule, bed at 10PM, wake at 7:30AM every single day, and I do all the sleep hygiene tips. Currently I usually take between a half hour and 2 hours to fall asleep at night. Very rarely do I fall right to sleep. Sometimes I wake up many times during the night, and sometimes I don't remember waking up at all, but the morning is always the same: I feel exhausted, stiff, achey and almost drunk upon waking. My muscles are incredibly weak and my legs feel like lead. All day long, even now with the use of Adderall, I feel abnormally sleepy and can fall asleep easily if I were to nap (I don't let myself nap anymore, which is hard to do!)

I hardly EVER dream, but when I do it's usually just before I wake up for the day, and several times I've experienced sleep paralysis, where I know I'm still dreaming, I'm aware enough to know that I'm in my bed, but I can't move a muscle or speak. For example, one time I was dreaming I was on a bus and I looked up at the front of the bus and noticed the bus driver was asleep at the wheel. I tried to jump up and yell to him to wake up, but I couldn't move or speak. Then I woke up. This doesn't happen all the time but it's weird.

My husband has never noticed any snoring, breathing cessation or choking, nor has he seen anything resembling restless leg syndrome (and I don't have symptoms of that that I know of). I'm SO SCARED that I will have the sleep study and they won't notice any problems. I know there has to be a reason for this excessive sleepiness, and so they probably will detect something, but if they don't what does that mean for me? For years I've just been thinking I'm just excessively weak and tired and it's something I have to live with, but it couldn't be, could it?

p.s. After several years of seeing doctors my psychiatrist prescribed me adderall to help me get through the day. When I take the adderall I don't fall asleep just from sitting down on the couch, but I'm still excessively tired.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User
Re: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness

Don't worry, the sleep study will almost certainly point to your basic
sleep issue. You may have hypopnea like I do or apnea or other issues
but what you describe sounds so classic I'd bet you won't be disappointed.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

lwelch03 HB User

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you since I have been a sleeper/tired ever since I was a little girl. But, I was wondering how you get into a sleep study? I need one as well.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

I just told my primary I wanted a referral because I was not going to continue to do nothing about my sleep problems, so she referred me.

Last night it took me about a half hour to fall asleep. I don't remember waking up at all, I slept for 8 1/2 hours, woke up naturally and felt like I hadn't slept at all. My legs ached and felt heavy, and now just four hours after waking I'm fighting the urge to take a nap. But nothing unusual happened during the night last night, which is rare for me. I don't remember waking up a million times or anything. If I sleep like this the night of the sleep study will they just tell me, sorry you feel like crap but you slept fine according to this?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
(female)

lwelch03 HB User

That is what I always wondered??? I have some nights where I sleep right through (rarely anymore) and then some where I'm tossing and turning all night and wake up every hour. It all depends. And I completely know what you mean about waking up with achy legs...UGH! My knees and ankles and well just both of my legs in general kill in the morning. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I want to lay back down and take a nap. I can't because I have a toddler running around, but I catch myself nodding off all the time...sometimes I just fall asleep and I don't even know it. BUT, let me know what they say when you do that sleep study. I hope they figure something out. Good Luck!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User

The leg tiredness suggests you might have "restless legs syndrome".
Or perhaps like me, a close relative condition in which I tense my legs
about 30 times an hour, not full movement but it shows up in the
sleep study. Caused by the central nervous system, it can also
manifest as "central apnea" in which the brain stem simply stops one's
breathing for a short interval. A good sleep study interpreted by a
skillful physician can discover a variety of possible issues that make
getting fully restorative sleep impossible. Unfortunately, not all of the
possible problems have solutions at this point in sleep knowledge. But
we don't spend about a third of our lives in this state callep sleep unless
it is designed to accomplish very important functions and without which
we are bound to experience problems during our waking state. I cannot
emphasize enough how important getting competent help with sleep
issues is for basic health.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

LALOV929, I'm so glad you brought that up! When you say you tense your legs about 30 times per hour, is that Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, or is it something else? Did they discover this during a sleep study, and is there an effective treatment for it?

I strongly suspect I might have this, or something very close to it. I find it absolutely impossible to sleep with my legs straight, and my legs are so stiff and achy when I wake every day. I just hope they find this or something else at my sleep study. Last night I took a melatonin to help me sleep. I still woke up many times, but I slept more than usual and had what seemed like a long (and strange) dream (also strange because I never dream), and today I feel like I am drunk and didn't sleep at all!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

there is a condition that will show a completely normal nights sleep according to the sleep study, but you could still have idiopathic hypersomnia. they use a MSLT (multiple sleep latency test) to find that. its usually done the morning after a sleep study.

the sleep study can find a whole raft of stuff, even if you seem to have had a "good" nights sleep. RLS, PLMD, various apneas and such will all show up.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

LALOV929 HB User

Yes, tiredpoet, it is 'periodic limb movement disorder' that I have and
it showed up only on the sleep study and did not improve with CPAP.
Sleep doc says no solution. Ideopathic or whatever.

Closed Thread