It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User
Lunesta vs Ambien CR

Hello all, I have been on Lunesta for about 8 months now. The doctor upped my dosage from 2mg to 3 mg last month when I told him I was no longer getting to sleep with the med. I now fall asleep fairly quickly but I only sleep about 3 or at the most 4 hours, usually in short spurts. I will sleep about 2 hours or so initially and then off and on in little 15 minute spurts the rest of the night. I fall asleep about 10 and am awake about 3 am for the rest of the night. I am so tired. My husband said maybe I should call the doctor to see if
ambien cr would work as they say it has the two layers one to get you to sleep and one to help you stay asleep. Has anyone switched from Lunesta to
ambien cr and did it work for you> Also if you are having alot of anxiety could this prevent the Lunesta or for that matter any sleep aid from working? Sorry to sound so naive about everything. My doctor also prescribed Paxil for my anxiety and depression but I am so scared to take it. I have heard so many horror stories about Paxil addiction. He have me some Ativan for panic attacks and I am kinda afraid to take that too. I just want a good nights sleep. Like you haven't heard that before. Right now we are waiting for the results of a biopsy to come back on my husband, he may have cancer and I am scared out of my mind. So that certainly isn't helping the sleep issue. Thank you to all who respond.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

SiberianLover HB User
Re: Lunesta vs Ambien CR

I was on Paxil for years to help me relax and sleep. I loved the drug. I went off of it due to the fact my insurance ran out, and I was switched to Zoloft because it was safer if I were to get pregnant. Paxil withdrawals are the hardest though...so either don't run out and miss pills, or slowly wean yourself off of it.

I used Lunesta, which I thought was okay. Rozerem didn't work at all, and now I take Ambien, but not the CR. The Ambien is great, knocks me right out, and actually helped regulate my sleeping patterns so I could sleep without any meds.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I'm on Ambian and have had trouble staying asleeppast 4hours myself. The CR is giving me an extra hour but is marginally better and seems to cause a sour stomach in the AM.
I suspect Lunesta would be as short acting as Ambian. It's frustrating seeing the Ambian CR commercils with the rooster and it saying, "Are you tired ofhaving morning come in th middle of the night," because that's what happens, I wake up right when this pill's half life is over in the middle of the night....and Dr's are not recommending I take a second does at 3 am, they as it sound want to dose me more at the beginning of the night, so I'd fall asleep faster, and I fall asleep fine, it's staying asleep that is the whole poblem on this med. Now I'll be taking 2 pills over the course of the night and I told them that just to stay sane and sleep consistantly. I may do two two nights in a row and only one on the third(knowing I'll have less sleep) to span out my pills, but I need a better solution. I'm just not in a place in my life where i can just wean off and be fine. Too much stress around me and trying to heal from funny whip lash muscle issues with physichal therapy/chirpractic care.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Kasey,

Ambian CR works like normal Ambian for me, 4.5 hours to be asleep. Maybe it's some anxiety as well. I've been taking it a second time in the night, not sure how safe it is? Told my nurse I was just going to do it short-term. I have a couple of other samples of other things, i was going to try one tonight. SOmeting like Roserium or something. I'm also wondering if taking an ambian cr, and then anothe 4-6 hours later is giving me this aweful taste in my mouth. No idea? Not sure if it's capable, never saw any other complaints about it for Ambian.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I went from ambian to lunesta and was dissapointed. I'd rather be taking exra ambian in two doses through the night since it's generally stronger but not long enough action to only take one dose to get a whole night sleep

Old 06-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
(female)

MyOMy HB User

I took Lunesta for a year, did not seem to help much. i have been on Ambien for the last year, and I can honestly say it helps more, I get drowsy quicker, (most nights anway,lol) but I still only get about 3 to 4 hours of straight sleep.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
(male)

joeys HB User

When I first started taking Ambien, it was on the original, but I only took it off and on (or as needed I guess you could say.) I am now on the Ambien CR 12.5, however, I have tried the Ambien CR 6.25 as well. As far as the Ambien CR 12.5 is concerned, I pretty much only take that on an as needed basis as well, however, I would like to get to the point to where I am going to bed at a more consistent bedtime each and every night. If that meant having to take the Ambien CR more often, then I would be ok with that. There was one night that I took the Ambien CR that I was able to get 7.5 hours of sleep. Of course, you have to keep in mind one of the other medications I take at night is Nortriptyline, which also causes drowsiness. The night I got 7.5 hours of sleep was the night when I took the Ambien CR and the Nortriptyline together.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
(male)

JimB HB User

Ambien works best for me. The regular works better than the CR. I take 1/2 of a 10mg tab at bedtime and 1/2 tab if I wake up in the middle of the night. No side effects.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User

Hi there,
I just got prescribed Ambien from my sleep MD. Found a host of ailments this past summer. I have OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) which was detected by accident as they were probing to diagnose other problems. Anyhow, i have the apap machine but coudlnt' tolerate it. W/o the machine i coudl sleep prob a good 4-5 hours. I would wake up and not be able to sleep again. Perhaps that's my normal. Not sure if it's a neurological thing or what. I 've played around with sleep times. I found it best to sleep at 11pm or 12am b/c when i tried sleeping earlier I had awaken too early (3 or 4am) and coudln't go back to sleep. But when i sleep at 12 or later i would awaken at 6.

Anyhow MD prescribed Ambien. I was hesitant...but w/ the machine i wans't able to fall asleep at all.

Kasey, have you ever got tested for sleep breathing problems? I found alot of info this summer that sleep issues could be related to breathign problems. I was shocked to find myself have OSA which causes me very fragmented sleep and non-restorative sleep.

i was prescribed w/ 10 mg Ambien. Is that alot? I've noticed others' dosages are alot lower, so i'm a bit concerned. Also, how long shd we be alloting for sleep when on Ambien? I don't get home until 9:30pm and have to get up by 7am so i am concerned i might not make it up. Can someone tell me how one feels after takign Ambien, any side effects? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
(female)

jflauta HB User

Hi, you should take the ambien right before you go to bed....and the 10 mg is not alot. For most people it knocks them out and will give a good nights sleep. I take half of the pill before i got to bed and then when I wake up in the middle of the night, I take the other half. Ambiens good to get you to sleep fast, but Lunesta is good to help u sleep thru the night. I like both =)

Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
(female)

beverly12 HB User

If you like Ambien, try taking 1/2 doses every other night. It works every night too, but losses itís effectiveness for me if I take it too often. 2 pills a week is all I take.

Never tried Lunesta, but am thinking of switching.

Closed Thread