It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

jann71 HB User
Biting tongue during sleep... why?? Please help!

I have bitten holes in my tongue! It happens just when I'm about to nod off to sleep. The pain wakes me up and most of the time my tongue is bleeding. Does anyone know why I'm doing this or what could be causing it? It's getting really aggrevating and my poor tongue is so sore. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Biting tongue during sleep... why?? Please help!

Your family doctor or dentist can get you a bite guard to wear at night for right now and then figure out what's causing you to bite your tongue. You might just have misaligned teeth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

The first thing that comes to mind is med side effects as some meds (antidepressants in particular) can cause one to grind one's teeth. and interfere with one's bite.

But there is another condition that comes to mind and that is Lyme disease...but if you have Lyme, the tongue biting would probably accompany alot of unexplained problems that may have been lumped together and misdiagnosed as MS, Fibro, or some other condition.

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-06-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
(female)

jann71 HB User

Thanks for the replies. It's getting bad. My tongue is so sore and swollen from all the bites. It seems to happen more when I'm just drifting off to sleep. Sometimes it is the side of my tongue, but most of the time it's the left side of the tip. That's the part that's red and swollen from the bites. I bite it so hard that it bleeds. I'm getting really frustrated. I don't see my doctor until the end of April. It's driving me nuts. Again, thanks for the replies.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

jann71 HB User

Just thought I'd post an update. I saw one of my doctors yesterday and told him about my tongue biting. He thinks I may be having mini seizures, probably caused by oxygen deprivation, probably caused by my severe sleep apnea that is not being treated because I have been intolerant to the CPAP.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Jann, Just for your info, Lyme has been associated with tongue biting, mini seizures, and sleep disorders...most doctors aren't aware of that. Using oxygen may treat the symptom but not the condition, if a patient has Lyme.

Bethsheba

Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
(male)

yehudi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jann71 View Post
Just thought I'd post an update. I saw one of my doctors yesterday and told him about my tongue biting. He thinks I may be having mini seizures, probably caused by oxygen deprivation, probably caused by my severe sleep apnea that is not being treated because I have been intolerant to the CPAP.
I have been experiencing the very same problem for years. It happens often just as I am drifting off to sleep, but it must also occur several times during the night. The one consolation is that, no matter how severely the tongue is bitten, although the pain is intense at first, healing is pretty rapid. Even when pieces of flesh are missing, they grow back like new if a way can be found to stop biting and allow it to heal for a while. I am a mouth breather when asleep, and I have found that sleeping on my stomach, with my head turned in a way that immobilizes my jaw somewhat before drifting off, helps. It is worst when my nose is stuffed up and/or I am drifting off sitting in a recliner. I wish I could find a better solution, but having bite guards or any other paraphernalia in my mouth makes sleep very difficult. I'm not a doctor and may be wrong, but I doubt that these are "mini seizures", or anything more than jaw muscle "spasms", as I don't think I have sleep apnea. The spasms occur early in the sleep pattern, and I don't think I am normally deprived of oxygen when it happens. Still, it is a possibility that I will keep it mind. One other thing: It seems much worse when I am sleep deprived. If I am well rested and on a consistent, generous sleep schedule, the frequency of occurrence drops considerably.

Closed Thread