It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
(female)

briannam719 HB User
Starting to get desperate

So I have had trouble sleeping since I was a child. I did see a therapist, and thought I grew out of it once I was done with that. I had no problems for a few years. Starting about 2 years ago I started having the sleeping problems again. I just cannot fall asleep. I started taking tylenol PM, and took 2 a night. That helped for quite some time. Then I think I became immune to them. So, I started taking 2 1/2 some nights, and then sometimes 3. I would start with 2, and wake up and just keep taking more until it knocked me out. Last week I reached a breaking point, and barely slept the whole week. Even with 3 1/2 tylenol PM, I still could not fall asleep. The day after I took all of those I was completely out of it, I had an irregular heartbeat, and felt dizzy. I was afraid I overdosed. I decided to stop the tylenol PM, and bought Melatonin tablets. I have seen my doctor twice about this and she doesn't do anything. She tells me that I am doing something wrong before I go to bed, and thats the extent of it. I am starting to get very desperate to just sleep already. Does anyone have any suggestions on any natural medicines? I really don't want to get a prescription drug because I'm afraid I'll never be able to be off of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Re: Starting to get desperate

I know I go on melatonin to help me sleep and so far it has helped a bit. There are other things like tryptophan or inosital. Tryptophan occurs in the body just like melatonin and it can help you sleep as well. Not sure how to get it though. I'd suggest speaking to a sleep doctor about this or even a psychiatrist if your desparate. I had severe insomnia at one point back in September and the psychiatrist gave me 50mg of Seroquel. This med acts as a sedation for the sufferer going through insomnia. It will knock you right out. Also if you want to avoid drugs and meds doing lots of exercise can help the body sleep better as well.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread