It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
(male)

dannyhb HB User
Enduring Sound Hypersensitivity

Friends, please help me to understand what is happening to me.

I have been experiencing disturbed sleep as a result of my extreme sensitivity to sound within my home for a number of years. Sound appears to tranmit easily around my home as a result of the poor absorption of sound by the wall fabric, however others in the home do not suffer as much as I do hence my self diagnosis of sound hypersensitivity.

My daytime alertness has been a problem for sometime now as a result. Moving home is very difficult under the present economic climate.

Can anyone share their experiences with me or provide some advice on this matter.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Enduring Sound Hypersensitivity

Danny,

Welcome to the boards!

One cause of sound sensitivity is a deficiency in magnesium (which may not show up on lab tests...long story, but you can check out why yourself). I've read that 20 mg of magnesium per 10 pounds of body weight per day would help within a couple of days if it is indeed a magnesium deficiency. There are several different forms of magnesium, some better absorbed than the others. You'll have to check to see which is the most easily absorbed form.

Magnesium deficiency can also cause periodic limb movements/restless leg syndrome which can interfere with sleep...that's how/why I learned about magnesium supplementation.

I see that you're from the UK...in the UK one condition that can cause mag deficiency and sound sensitivity is Lyme disease.

Bethsheba
[removed]

Last edited by Mod101; 04-06-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Please review board rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

can you add any sound absorbing material in your bedroom? or maybe even to the rooms that are generating the most noise?

heavy drapes, wall to wall carpets with heavy pads (or as many throw rugs or area carpets as you can get, again with heavy pads), wall tapestries, those things that you put under doors to stop drafts, heavy padded furniture, all those will help absorb sound.

other than that, ear plugs or maybe a white noise generator may help.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
(male)

dannyhb HB User

Thank you very much for the advice. It is indeed very useful.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #5
(male)

dannyhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
Danny,

Welcome to the boards!

One cause of sound sensitivity is a deficiency in magnesium (which may not show up on lab tests...long story, but you can check out why yourself). I've read that 20 mg of magnesium per 10 pounds of body weight per day would help within a couple of days if it is indeed a magnesium deficiency. There are several different forms of magnesium, some better absorbed than the others. You'll have to check to see which is the most easily absorbed form.

Magnesium deficiency can also cause periodic limb movements/restless leg syndrome which can interfere with sleep...that's how/why I learned about magnesium supplementation.

I see that you're from the UK...in the UK one condition that can cause mag deficiency and sound sensitivity is Lyme disease.

Bethsheba

[removed]
Thanks a lot Bethsheba. I believe I came across the subject on magnesium defficiency before. I will try this and see if helps.

Have a lovely day.

Last edited by Mod101; 04-06-2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Please view board rules

Closed Thread