It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
(male)

stevefromsd HB User
Sleep Apnea and Weight

Right now I am 5'10 and weigh 196. My B.M.I. is 28.1. I am 40 years old and am very active (Hike twice a week and swim in the ocean 2-3 times a week).

I used to run 30 miles a week or bike 180 miles a week up until my late 20's/early 30's when my ankle and knee started hurting. At the time I weighed 165-175 pounds.

I read that in order to not be considered overweight, I would need to get my weight down to 173 pounds. This would be a B.M.I. of 24.8. A B.M.I. of 25-29 is considered overweight.

Has anyone here who was overweight when they discovered they had Sleep Apnea lost enough weight that they were no longer considered overweight? If so, did you no longer have sleep apnea? It would be nice to not need a CPAP Machine if this is really about weight.

I read online that the best treatment for Sleep Apnea is losing weight. I am wondering if I get my weight back down to 173, will I no longer have Sleep Apnea? I haven't been down to that weight for 10 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Sleep Apnea and Weight

This all may depend on the individual with weight gain or not but i will share this with you.

i am one whom was diagnosed with sleep apnea being over weight and lost weight and still have the sleep apnea. So being over weight or not i have sleep apnea.

You may have someone post just the opposite, but this is my diagnosis given to me. I had the day sleep study and i had the night sleep study. I have sleep apnea.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
(male)

stevefromsd HB User
Re: Sleep Apnea and Weight

I went through the same thing. I lost 25 pounds and am now at 5'10'' and 175 and still have sleep apnea. The face mask fits now though.

Closed Thread