It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

SPORT46 HB User
Angry Chronic insomnia

I've had insomnia for the past 3-4 weeks. Have tried everything-otc meds, valarian, ambien, ambien Cr, lunesta. Nothing is working 100%. i think i am going to need go go cold turking to get off these & stay out of my bedroom, or at least sit on a chair in there and read. but i still am tired & feel the need to lay down, but i think i should not do that & need to stay up until i really feel sleepy. It is so frustrating. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to SPORT46:
ginger spice (10-14-2011)
Old 11-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Chronic insomnia

YES. I can try to help you. I'm already an "expert". It all depends on why you cannot sleep you know?. Are you suffering from pain?. Please let me know. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Its due to stress & depression, for which I take an antidepressant, although i've been stressed before and it didn't affect my sleep. Well, I need to stop taking the Ambien, even though it puts me to sleep quickly, because it's causing major daytime sluggishness during the day. It's a quick bandaid that is making things worse for me. I've taken it for about 2-3 weeks and I think I've already developed a sort of "dependency" on it....

The Following User Says Thank You to SPORT46 For This Useful Post:
Vince50 (09-13-2012)
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
(male)

Rick143 HB User

I think its your antidepressant that is causing this, One of the side effects of those drugs is insomnia.

I have been suffering from Insomnia for 7 years now and have tried everything out there. The only thing that works for me is Xanax.

The good thing about Xanax is i dont get any side effects at all, I dont even feel the drug work, It just allows me to fall asleep .

Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Hi! I'm not taking sleep meds anymore.. I think it may be a side effect of the statin I take for high chloresterol. My dr. said i could stop that for a few weeks to see if there is improvement in the insomnia problem. Thanks for your reply

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
(male)

JimB HB User

If you haven't already done so, Google "sleep hygiene". I've had insomnia for many years, and I haven't found anything the helps reliably and consistently. Ambien is the best med I've found. I use it in combination with OTC, and I usually take 5mg at bedtime and another 5mg when I wake up in the middle of the night. Chronic insomnia, with no underlying issues, is a difficult condition to treat.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Sleep meds are only meant to be used for a short duration. The real reason that the insomnia exists, the root of the problem, needs to be solved. For me, the my antidepressant was causing the insomnia, so now i take it in the morning.

Last edited by SPORT46; 01-18-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: correction

Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bronson View Post
I've had insomnia for many years, and I haven't found anything the helps reliably and consistently. Chronic insomnia, with no underlying issues, is a difficult condition to treat.
Jim Bronson, I believe, there is no way there isn't an underlying issues when you have an insomnia. I think you know by now, I also have insomnia caused by chronic pain. Before the accident(chronic pain)the only thing which bothers my sleep was noise and mattress.
There are things you can do:
1) Change your mattress. That's very important. For me only
soft mattress will do but I still need to take sleeping pills
(cause of the persistent pain).
2) Does noise BOTHERS you?.

Last edited by nochange; 01-15-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
(male)

JimB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Jim Bronson, I believe, there is no way there isn't an underlying issues when you have an insomnia. I think you know by now, I also have insomnia caused by chronic pain. Before the accident(chronic pain)the only thing which bothers my sleep was noise and mattress.
There are things you can do:
1) Change your mattress. That's very important. For me only
soft mattress will do but I still need to take sleeping pills
(cause of the persistent pain).
2) Does noise BOTHERS you?.
Thanks for the hints, but I've done all the usual "sleep hygiene" stuff, and I still have persistent insomnia. Believe me, I would love to not have to take a pill to sleep, but unless I do, I simply cannot fall asleep. Sometimes I try to stop for a day or two, but I become so sleepy I cannot function. Most doctors don't know much about sleep problems, except when they have a distinct cause like a traumatic event or pain. They classify sleep disorders into either sleep apnea or insomnia. Sleep apnea is treatable with good results, but chronic insomnia is hit-or-miss, and I don't think many patients are successfully treated without drug therapy. I don't take any other drugs that could cause my insomnia, so my doctors are stumped. Ambien is the only drug that works for me, so unless I can figure it out for myself, I'll have to accept the risks. It's not a good situation, but it's better than not sleeping at all.

BTW, I like a somewhat firm mattress, and I can get comfortable on the one I have, so I don't think that's an issue. Also, yes noise bothers me, but my neighborhood is very quiet. I used to wear earplugs at my old house, but I don't need them here. Again, many thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by JimB; 01-15-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Added second paragraph

Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jim Bronson, I have a "tip" for you. Read it recently on a health magazine.

Try sleeping with your socks and mittens or gloves. It really helps. They had that research done and it really helped people with insomnia. (I hope you live in a cold area?).

What you really want to do is not waking up in the middle of the night again and take another sleeping pills. It doesn't sound too good. I'm also on sleeping pills as you know, cause of pain.

Second thing, did you try the benzo's type of medication for sleeping?. That's what I'm taking. I'm now taking 3 pills at night. My doctor authorized me. Cause my body has already built tolerance to it. So now I can sleep 6-7 hours a night, but I don't wake up. If I take 2 I will sleep 4-5 hours but that's not enough. I really need my sleep.
Wish I was able to sleep 7-8 hours but that's not possible. That stopped 4 years ago when the pain started.

This chronic pain I have really was not good for me.

How many hours a night are you able to sleep? I'm just curious to know.

Last edited by nochange; 01-26-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
(female)

Annap HB User

Hi I think the advice in the sticky above is pretty much right. Sleeping pills are not a long term solution and it can be hard to get off them if you take them for long, so your idea of going cold turkey is a good one.

Have you tried listening to relaxing music when you are settling down to sleep? Baroque music works quite well for many people including me. If you have an iPod or MP3 player you can ******** it. I even find listening to an absorbing podcast helps because it takes my mind off daytime problems and thoughts.

anna

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
(male)

JimB HB User

Thanks all for the useful info. I've tried all of the usual sleep hygiene methods, including soft music, breathing, herbal tea, etc. Sometimes I get real sleepy, but I still can't fall asleep. I try not to have any negative thoughts at bedtime, and I sometimes watch a light comedy program. I live in a warm climate, so I think my hands and feet don't get too cold, but it's worth a try to wear socks. My p-doc tried benzos a long time ago, but they didn't work as well as Ambien. The 5mg Ambien wears off after about 3-4 hours, and then I take another 5mg. Right now, I'm on regular formulation. I've tried the CR, but it doesn't work as well as two doses of regular, and my doc says most patients say the same thing. I've never tried hypnosis, but I'll check it out.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whenever you go to a cold area for vacation etc, try wearing mittens and socks. Don't forget that. So if that will help you, perhaps moving would be an option you know. I would if I was you. but you will need to try it first so plan your next vacation in a cold place. put the heat on, wear your mittens and your socks and I really think that will be the solution for you. It sounds like it's a little bit emotional what you are going through that's why you're having hard time sleeping. It's just my guess.

Did you try drinking Chamomile tea?. and/or eating apples with peanut butter before you go to sleep?. Chamomile tea without sugar has calming effect. I remember I read that in another health magazine a year ago. I keep everything I read about insomnia.

My doctor added diazepam(valium)(other than the other benzo I take for sleep)this one is for the pain. Have you ever taken that?. It seems to interfer with my sleep but I'm not 100% so I will keep taking it for at least a week. In the past I tried it for one night but it caused me stomach pain. This time not but it has some other new side effects like dizziness and even memory problems.

By the way, you know, eventhough you take sleeping pills, it's not giving you the same restful/deep sleep you really used to have before you started on them and you were able to sleep "naturally". What you really want to do is to at least try to get rid of those sleeping pills if you can. My doctor thinks it's better taking them than not sleeping at all, that's what he thinks. He is right. but I have no choice.

For me it's a different story altogether. It's not possible at all cause of the pain. I had doctors telling me there is no way pain stops you from sleeping not for 2 years. ya right. I wonder what med school they've been too.

that's really weird. never read that in any magazine. but sometimes pets can help you sleep. I have a cat, it comes and goes. (it's like a village cat. It's really rare for me to be able to sleep without sleeping pills but when she's is "visiting" me she jumps on the couch and I watch her sleep(I'm so jealous, it's so easy for her she doesn't need sleeping pills)and then sometimes I also fall asleep without any sleeping pills but that's in the afternoon. I believe pets have calming effect also.

I really hope I helped you in some way.
good luck to you.

Last edited by nochange; 01-28-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
(male)

JimB HB User

I couldn't agree more about trying to get off sleeping pills. Natural sleep is always the best way to rest the body. However, for some people, the only way to be functional is to take prescription sleep remedies. I'm a retired engineer, and before I started Ambien, I just tossed and turned all night. Without the Ambien, I would surely have been fired or on disability years ago. I am not physically addicted to it, but there is a psychological dependence. If I don't take it, I can't help worrying that I won't fall asleep. When I do take it, I feel sure I'll sleep, so the anxiety is less. Effective medication plus lower anxiety equals better sleep. Now that I don't have to get up early and spend 8 hours in the office, I'm free to try other ways to sleep naturally, and I sure hope something works. I would like to find some sugar pills the same shape and color as the Ambien, so I could do a placebo test.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
(female)

funnygirl49 HB User

Go look for a product called "Bionite!" I use one dropperful each night about 30 minutes before I go to bed. It is not a drug and does not require a prescription. I go to sleep quickly, sleep longer, sleep deeper, and nine out of ten mornings, I am not groggy!

You gotta try it. I really think you will love it!!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 02-07-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread