It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
(female)

Cbiscuit HB User
Xanax for sleep

I have tried to take every sleep medicine imaginable. I am more of a naturalist so I have tried all the natural ones and they dont work. I used perscriptions for awhile, ambien, lunesta, amiatryptiline, trazadone and seroquel. non of them worked and the seroquel was the only one that worked somewhat and after a year on it I got diagnosed with epilepsy of partial seizures, and it raised my fasting blood glucose from in the 80s to the 120-130s so I got off it. I am completely immune to the drowsiness factor of benadryl and I was ready to give up. I was taking Xanax as needed for anxiety, PTSD and depression episodes which by the way can trigger anxiety and is why dr's give xanax for depression. I was taking 1mg as needed and I started taking 2mg for sleep. Im trying to wean down to 1-.5mg for sleep but I just wanted to let people know medicines work different for everyone. I am deathly allergic to tylenol. I am also allergic to torodol and not to ibupropion (sp?) which is in the same family as torodol. If something works for you. Use it. My sleep is so bad I will stay awake for up to 3 days and not feel tired at all. My boyfriend is the one who suggested Xanax and it works great. Like people have said addiction and dependance are two different things and me being an EMT, my only strong advice is DO NOT MIX ALCOHOL AND XANAX. People say its fun but I have picked up several patients in either cardiac or respiratory depression or arrest because they took a xanax and had a drink or two with it. The beauty of medicine it that it can work for more than what it was created for. Benadryl is very similar to phenegran which is used in Health care for nausea. Just little tid bits of info. Just use the lowest dose possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User
Re: Xanax for sleep

I read your post and am not sure what the point is.

If you are asking if it is a good idea to take Xanax for sleep the answer is no.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

would you like to elaborate on why xanax is not a good medicine?.

My neurologist offered me this for sleep and I said right away no. but that's been couple of years ago. She said there is no way pain can cause sleeping problems. but I said no.

I have serious problems sleeping due to chronic pain. I'm glad I have a doctor who is against the use of SSRI, I wonder why he's against it. I've never been offered xanax by him. Couple of days ago I asked him about clonazepam. I've never tried this but have heard people in this board are taking it for sleep?. but my doctor didn't seem to let's say eager to rx it. So we left that aside.
I, personally, know somebody who used to be a friend of mine who has mental problems, serious mental problems and she/he(I don't know if this person is reading this board so that's why I wrote he/she) is using clonezepam. My family doctor doesn't like those type of drugs. and I know it's really difficult to get off SSRI but I'm not sure xanax is SSRI?.

To be really honest with you I don't like psychological drugs. SSRI. When the pm doc told me the reason I cannot sleep is mental and told me to use SSRI I said goodbye. Heck, I don't even want to see this doctor anymore and hope I will never see his face anymore. He had the same wording: "There is no connection between sleeping and pain". Rediculous.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-18-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
(female)

annielaurien HB User

Hi -
I would disagree with the previous poster about Xanax not being good for sleep.
Between hormones, stress, pets on and off bed, and waking up to pee, I have been unable to sleep through the night for years and years. Never have any trouble falling asleep, it's the staying asleep part that's tricky. Whether my life is relatively stress-free or not, it seems that the middle of the night is the time that my brain wants to 'turn on' and try to solve all my life problems! This is where the Xanax comes in.
I have tried every prescription and non-prescription sleep aid there is. The prescription ones don't work, PLUS they give me undesirable side-effects. The non-prescription ones work but I'm sensitive to the aftereffects so wake up feeling hung over. Natural remedies don't work either. Melatonin doesn't help because it doesn't address the staying asleep issue; valerian has a stimulant effect on me for some reason.
Xanax is my magic sleep drug. I ONLY take it at night, and have been doing so sporadically for four years. I have had to increase the dose from .5 mg to .75, but other than that I have had no issues. No bad side effects, no problem getting up in the morning, no feeling any need to take it at any other time of the day. I still wake up at night, but generally fall right back asleep. It just helps to switch my brain into a lower gear.
So I would also like to hear anyone's rationale about Xanax not being a good sleep aid. I don't want to be doing my body any harm by using it long term. I have stopped it for weeks at a time and the only ill effect is that I've gone right back to my unrestful sleep.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB UserSnowBunny2020 HB User

Annie, I was told once that eating a carb before bed might cause a sugar imbalance that will wake one in the middle of the night. Before I discovered that my waking was due to liver congestion, I tried eating a protein before bed and I must say it did help to some degree in keeping me asleep. Hope this helps.
I worry that all the medications people take will someday cause problems far worse than lack of sleep.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
(male)

Torombolo HB User

I have to say that i was addicted to xanax for 14 years and this medication caused me a lot of problems in my life almost loose my family because of it i call this pill devil's pill!!!! very addictive do not take it, use other kind of medication , thats my advise

Last edited by Torombolo; 05-05-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
(female)

coping1 HB User

I have several health issues that prevent me from sleeping through the night. I have been taking restoril for as long a I can remember, which has worked for me until recently. My PCP prescribed .5mg Xanax 1/2 hour before I go to bed and I have to say it does the trick. I only use it when I have had several nights with little sleep (maybe once every couple of weeks) so I don't build up a tolerance.
Every medicine works differently for each person. If it works for you and you use it only when needed and as directed by your physician, you should be okay. If it causes you problems, then it is not for you.

Last edited by coping1; 05-06-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
(male)

Torombolo HB User

HI coping1 you mention that your doctor gave ml of what king of medication i just want to know , and yes may be all we are different about the medications reactions ,but what i can for sure say is benzos are very addictive

Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
(female)

coping1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torombolo View Post
HI coping1 you mention that your doctor gave ml of what king of medication i just want to know , and yes may be all we are different about the medications reactions ,but what i can for sure say is benzos are very addictive
Torombolo,

My Dr. actually gave me .25 mg (I thought it was .5 mg) of Xanax and instructed me to take it a 1/2 hour before I go to sleep. I only take it every once in a while, when I haven't had a good night of sleep in a few days, but it does work for me.

Last edited by coping1; 05-06-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
(female)

DizzyLyd1 HB User

There is a good over-the-counter herbal help for sleep and it is called Estroven Nightime. It is helping me considerably, along with my 7.5 mg. of Remeron (an antidepressant med). I get around 6 hours and awaken at 4:30 rather than 2AM. This allows me almost 6 hours, which is better than the 3 1/2 I was getting. It takes around a month or so to get it working in your system. I think it has Black Cohosh, which is good for sleep. I am a 60 year old female, so hormones are still at work in my system for sure. This natural remedy really helps me. I hope I can be of help to someone else.
Lydia

Closed Thread