It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Can't get used to my CPAP mask.

Hi everyone. My name is Elyse. I was just diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 6 weeks ago. I am using a CPAP machine with a humidifier. I use the nasal pillows mask. It took me a week or two to get used to falling asleep with the mask on. Now I don't mind it at all. I actually kind of like it, because it is helping me breathe better. So I was all excited and happy that I was used to my mask. Then one morning I woke up and was still feeling extremely tired. It took me a minute to realize that the mask was no longer on, and the machine was off. This is becoming a problem. I have no trouble falling asleep with the mask on. However, every morning I wake up and the mask is thrown on the floor and the machine is off. I must be doing this while I am in some state of semi-alertness, because I have absolutely no recollection of doing this. I don't want to take a tranquilizer to make myself stay asleep but I don't know what else to do. I think I just get annoyed with things on my face!! Any suggestions?

Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Can't get used to my CPAP mask.

Oh, I can relate! I have a similar mask that I find on the floor every morning, but I don't turn the thing off. When I asked my doctor about this, he assured me that even 4-5 hours is beneficial, but I wonder how long till I really yank the thing off? As far as I know it could be 15 minutes. I have tried several masks, but that hasn't solved the problem.

I make a point to keep putting in on, and when I take naps or lay down to watch tv, I put it on. Sure enough, I fall asleep while watching tv most of the time, even if it is for a short time.

It has always been a problem for me to get used to it, and I've had it for a few years now. I just keep trying, every night.

Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread