It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User
Just as I'm starting fall asleep, body jumps

I've been going through this for several months now and there are days that It's worse and days that are better. I noticed it's worse when I'm really sleep deprived. Just as I start to doze off and fall asleep...my body has the reaction and it suddenly wakes up or jumps. I don't physically jump out of bed but my body has this reaction like it is. Or it's like I stopped breathing and I suddenly wakeup. I'm so tired and I so desperately want to sleep, but my body has a mind of its own and won't allow me. It's very exhausting. I feel like my heart starts to beat harder when that happens...like an adrenaline rush or something. It's very strange. It takes me hour to fall asleep. What in the world is going on with me? I also have to drink a lot of water at night. I have a gallon container next to my bed and I drink almost half of it every night. I don't know if that has a connection to my sleep problem. I wast tested for diabetes and other problems and it all came back normal. The cortizal? test came slightly high and I'm retesting. I guess it has something to do with the adreneal glands. Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
(female)

maryh HB User
Re: Just as I'm starting fall asleep, body jumps

Hey there..
i think what your' experiencing is your body trying to switch down into 'sleep' mode...so i suggest really trying to relax yourself and your muscles and everything before you go to bed with stretches or a hot bath or take a Cal/Magnesium vitamin or just a magnesium tablet.
Its a great tranquilizer but dont' have more than RDA because it may produce a Gastro-intestinal upset.
Try more physically relaxing foods in the evenings like Starchy foods rather than sugary/Protein rich ones.
Maybe cut down on salty foods, salt is added to alot of things here..even bread and milk. That may be contributing to your thirst.

The best of luck..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

I think they're called hypnic jerks or "sleep starts", they're common and harmless, and tend to happen more when you're stressed or overtired.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 04-13-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
(male)

prozac9 HB User

Yea, I have had similar experiences with the body jump thing before. It's a really strange feeling. For me it is almost like I feel like I fall 4 or 5 feet off of my bed and it jolts me awake to find out that I haven't even moved more than an inch in bed. If it continues to interrupt your sleep schedule you might want to check back with your physician. maybe they would be able to prescribe a medication that can help.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
(female)

Danialla HB User

Klonopin has helped me with this problem. But, I have been diagnosed with a "sleep behavior disorder and also take, mirapex & Lunesta, along with various antidepressants. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Hi! Have you been tested for Graves disease? It's a thyroid disease. I felt exactly like this before being diagnosed. You need a tsh, a FreeT4 and T-3 test done to see. It seems like the docs suspect something like this with the tests they have done. Look up Graves and see if you have other symptoms. A lot of people who have sleep problems along with these jumpy, racing heart feelings have an over active thyroid. Sometimes even under active.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

elworthy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmine1212 View Post
I've been going through this for several months now and there are days that It's worse and days that are better. I noticed it's worse when I'm really sleep deprived. Just as I start to doze off and fall asleep...my body has the reaction and it suddenly wakes up or jumps. I don't physically jump out of bed but my body has this reaction like it is. Or it's like I stopped breathing and I suddenly wakeup. I'm so tired and I so desperately want to sleep, but my body has a mind of its own and won't allow me. It's very exhausting. I feel like my heart starts to beat harder when that happens...like an adrenaline rush or something. It's very strange. It takes me hour to fall asleep. What in the world is going on with me? I also have to drink a lot of water at night. I have a gallon container next to my bed and I drink almost half of it every night. I don't know if that has a connection to my sleep problem. I wast tested for diabetes and other problems and it all came back normal. The cortizal? test came slightly high and I'm retesting. I guess it has something to do with the adreneal glands. Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
(male)

Dark Mountain HB User

I have experienced this enough times, but not so much it actually disturbs my whole sleeping pattern. It is like your whole body was lifted off the bed several inches, then slammed downward suddenly into your bed with twice the normal force of gravity.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
(male)

decky1978 HB User

[QUOTE=Jazzmine1212;4223280]I've been going through this for several months now and there are days that It's worse and days that are better. I noticed it's worse when I'm really sleep deprived. Just as I start to doze off and fall asleep...my body has the reaction and it suddenly wakes up or jumps. I don't physically jump out of bed but my body has this reaction like it is.

I was always lead to believe that our body's are programmed to do this because of our ape ancestors (or because of our similarities with the apes if you are an evolution non-believer!)

If you imagine an ape sitting on a tree and beginning to doze off and suddenly waking when they lose their balance it is a very similar sensation to what you are feeling. It happens to me all the time but I just smile, roll over and doze again. It is nothing to worry about in the slightest.

Last edited by decky1978; 05-09-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
(female)

claud883 HB Userclaud883 HB User

Have you consulted with a sleep expert. You might have insomnia which deprive you from sleep. Insomnia is a problem that deprive you from failing asleep or maintaining a restful of sleep. It is difficult to identity a problem through discussion. I can only provide you a clue rest can be confirmed through monitoring your sleep patterns.

Closed Thread