It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Clonazepam and Xanax for Insomnia.

Hello my dear friends. I suffer from severe insomnia cause of severe chronic neck pain caused by a car accident plus TMJ.

Anyway, My doctor has me on clonazepam 4mg to take at night, that did helped the pain but I was only able to sleep 3 hours and that's not enough for me. Do you have any idea if there is a need to increase the dose?

Second question. My doctor has also prescribed me Xanax 1mg to take at night, that worked and gave me 6-7 hours sleep at night so I feel better.

The only problem I've heard Xanax is terribly addictive! and am worried. and clonazepam is less addictive but 4mg clonazepam only gave me 3 hours sleep a night and I get irritated and upset and sad

When I tried to talk with my doctor how xanax is addictive he told me that Oxycontin is addictive also. Not sure what to do anymore.

Any reply will be highly appreciated.

P.S clonazepam does help the pain by the way.

Last edited by nochange; 05-03-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
(female)

angg33 HB User
Re: Clonazepam and Xanax for Insomnia.

No matter what dose of Klonopin you take....it is a fast acting and wears off fast. The xanax....yes, its highly addictive but no more than klonopin. Ive been on both at different times in my life.
I simply and successfully decreased the doses over a matter of a few weeks Until there were no side effects of stopping the meds.
Do what you have to do to get thru this life.....its hard, but with the right help educationally, physically, mentally and emotionally....with or without meds, you can make it better.
I do sympathize and I have no idea what REAL pain is like you describe. My pain has all been emotional.
Dont worry about the meds.....take what you have to and then slowly come off of them when the time comes.
I wish you the best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

zoranm HB User

I can't help you in the pain department and i take both meds you take and have not ever heard of them being used for pain unless you are referring to mental pain. Now they are both just as addictive, i try to take a break every few days and can go a few days without taking them and be just fine withdrawal fine but i enjoy the sleep and relaxation they give me to help me sleep. Now one med i found VERY helpful is zopoclone. It is also addictive, i think ALL of this pills are so that is something you have to decide on. It leaves your system in about 7 hours and you awake feeling refreshed and it literally makes me sleep uninterupted the entire night. I am not sure where you live but have been told from someone that in the States (i am in canada, we don't have it here) is tylenol PM is good but i have never tried it. So that may help to try if you have access to it also if it is physical pain that could help too. Good luck

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

DizzyLyd1 HB User

Hi - I also take Clonozepam periodically for sleep. I used to be on Xanax, but got very addicted to it and had to wean off. There is a wonderful product on the market that is helping me considerable, but it has to build up awhile in your system - approximately a month. It is called Estroven PM. I stuck with it and now I am enjoying 6-7 hours of sleep every night. I was waking in the middle of the night at 2-3AM and that wasn't enough refreshing sleep at all. It is a wonderful product and has natural ingredients in it. I am also on 7.5 mg. of Remeron (a small dose of an antidepressant med) and I guess it's the right combination, because I can sleep normally now. It is really a blessing and it's so great that it's over-the-counter. Look for it at your local pharmacy in the vitmain section. Make sure you buy the PM, because there are different kinds. I think it keeps the hormones that are wreaking havoc on your sleep/wake cycle at bay. Good luck and let me know how you make out. Lydia

Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
(female)

DizzyLyd1 HB User

Hi - it's good not to take the meds every night, since it does become addicting. I have found a good over-the-counter herbal help tablet that does help with sleep and it is called Estroven PM. It does take about a month to start to work, but it does work. You have to give it a chance. I take it along with my 7.5 of Remeron. I sleep about 6 hours ea. night, which is great considering I only got about 3 1/2.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyLyd1 View Post
Hi - it's good not to take the meds every night, since it does become addicting. I have found a good over-the-counter herbal help tablet that does help with sleep and it is called Estroven PM. It does take about a month to start to work, but it does work. You have to give it a chance. I take it along with my 7.5 of Remeron. I sleep about 6 hours ea. night, which is great considering I only got about 3 1/2.
hello DizzyLyd1. I'm now taking Remeron 30mg for sleep, instead of Xanax. (my doctor has prescribed me that to help with sleep).

I've been taking remeron 30mg for the last 2 days and it seems to work pretty weird for me. I'm not sure if I sleep or not. It's like I'm asleep but awake. Have you experienced that?. With Xanax I didn't feel that way. I've found Clonazapam a good muscle relaxant but am not sure what dose I need to take Clonazapam in order to sleep. I've been on 4mg.

Thanks for the advice about Estroven PM, I should try that. I'm 39 years old and the reason for no sleep is cause of severe chronic pain caused by a car accident(a whiplash) on my neck.

Last edited by nochange; 05-12-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Closed Thread