It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

ravenssouth HB User
trazodone not helping me sleep anymore

150 mg trazodone is not helping me sleep anymore. I lay awake for hours. What should I do? I've heard horror stories about going off of it. Please help.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
(female)

yalwayssick HB User
Re: trazodone not helping me sleep anymore

my relative was on trazodone that stopped working following extremely stressful events, and had to be upped or downed for effectiveness which did not help either. If the medicine is not working for you, ask your doctor to advise you on how to wean off the meds with little repercussion, (do not go off the meds by yourself), since you have other symptoms maybe you can get something less evasive for sleep. best of luck to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
(male)

SteveHC HB User

Trazodone, like many drugs often prescribed as a"sleep aid," is NOT primarily designed to be such; its drowsiness-inducing effect - like many "sleep aids," is actually a SIDE-EFFECT. And it can have considerable UNDESIRED side effects, especially (but not only) if you're a male. Also, like MOST sleep aids, it tends to become LESS EFFECTIVE as such the longer and more frequently you take it.

By all means, see an appropriate M.D. for consideration of transitioning to one or more other and possibly more effective medications, or weaning OFF it altogether and trying non-medication-based sleep-improving strategies. The sooner you do this the better.

The following user gives a hug of support to SteveHC:
yalwayssick (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
(female)

yalwayssick HB User

Thanks Steve...RavensSouth, you can get off the Trazodone like steve suggests, but you need to be weaned off it. Talk with your doctors for an alternative medication if absolutely needed, otherwise ask them to help you wean off and ask about other treatments to help you sleep.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
(female)

yalwayssick HB User

RavensSouth, Are you on other medications that interfere with your sleep? What was the Trazodone prescribed for? Things to consider are your weight, height, and other medications that you take. Steve is right...you can get off but NEED to be Weaned off. Dont just go off by yourself, and definately let your doctor know how you feel about it not working anymore and ask them about being weaned off. Maybe it is not the right medication for you. Good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to yalwayssick:
SteveHC (10-27-2010)
Closed Thread