It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

synthesizer HB User
waking in the middle of the night... please help

my quest for a full night of sleep is starting to look like a battle i cannot win. a little about myself... 24 y/o male, i exercise daily, practice healthy dieting, and have no illnesses, disease, or chronic pain. in other words, i'm perfectly healthy, for the most part

i have no trouble falling asleep, whether it is at night, or for a short 20 minute power nap. i can fall asleep just fine. the problem is staying asleep... i always go to bed around 1am, and every night, between 4-6am, i wake up, and then cannot fall back asleep. i have had sleep problems in the past, but nothing like this.

take a look at the things i take for sleep:

-5-HTP (tryptophan)
-time-released melatonin
-valerian root
-passion flower
-GABA
-L-Theanine
-medicinal marijuana

i DO NOT take any products/foods containing caffeine or any other stimulant (i have quadruple checked )

every morning, i take a 150mg tablet of Wellbutrin SR, for depression

things in my sleeping domain:

-brand new, $2500 mattress (amazing mattress)
-HEPA air purifier
-extra fan
-ear plugs
-NO LIGHT

from the looks of it, i have every aspect of good sleep covered, yet i still cannot achieve it. i use ear plugs and have my fans running to block out noise (i wake easily from noises), so waking from a noise is never a problem. my mattress is so damn comfortable that it's not even funny. i have a blanket over my bedroom window to block out ALL light.

i just don't know what to do anymore. i just bought some PHENIBUT, which i have used in the past with good results, but tolerance to it builds fast, and it becomes addicting. so i don't want to depend on it

does anyone have ANY suggestions as to what my problem might be? i'm not going to rant and rave about how my life is affected by this, as i'm sure most of you already understand

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
(male)

synthesizer HB User
Re: waking in the middle of the night... please help

anyone??? i have been reading about thyroid disorders and its association with poor sleep patterns. i would go get blood work done, but i don't have health insurance.

does anyone know of a way to find local sleep studies that people can volunteer for?? i live in south FL and have been searching for programs, but with no luck

Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

looks like I posted here twice, sory

Last edited by nochange; 07-11-2010 at 06:26 AM.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello to you. Well, I would suggest taking vitamins. I have the same problem you have and worse than that. I couldn't fall asleep at all. Now I can fall asleep and when I wake up in the middle of the night I'm ABLE to fall asleep again.

Those are the vitamins your should take: Magnesium+vitamin B6 + Calcium + vitamin D you can add to them vitamin C also.

When it comes to Vitamins it depends on the dosage you take also. You should consult with a doctor about the dosage.

Let me know how you're doing and good luck!

P.S there is no such thing called "medical marijuana". I'm really against it, it's recreational drug. No Good.

Last edited by nochange; 07-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
(male)

TomOnt HB User

Hi synthesizer. I recently have exactly the same problem. I always had problems falling asleep in the evening, but now I have this issue of waking up very early (like 5:00 - 6:00) and not being able to fall asleep.
I go to bed regularly at 12:30, and wake up at 9:00 (well, at least my alarm clock is set to 9:00 ). I even keep that schedule during the weekend to make sure I don't disturb my sleep pattern.

I noticed that even the slightest noise can wake me up. There is a train far away from my home, and I can hear its honk in the early morning. Normally, this shouldn't affect sleep, but for me it is enough to wake me up. Same with noises like A/C turning on, or sometimes even ticking of a clock in my washroom! It's really insane. I was trying to use ear plugs, but they are kinda bulky and since I'm a side sleeper, they bug me to the point that I cannot fall asleep while wearing them. Maybe I'm using some incorrect ear plugs?
I don't think it is light related, because sometimes I wake when it is still quite dark outside.

Any ideas how can I prevent myself from waking up so early in the morning?
Any interesting hints on how to help "mask" all those noises that seem to wake me up?

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOnt View Post
Hi synthesizer. I recently have exactly the same problem. I always had problems falling asleep in the evening, but now I have this issue of waking up very early (like 5:00 - 6:00) and not being able to fall asleep.
I go to bed regularly at 12:30, and wake up at 9:00 (well, at least my alarm clock is set to 9:00 ). I even keep that schedule during the weekend to make sure I don't disturb my sleep pattern.

I noticed that even the slightest noise can wake me up. There is a train far away from my home, and I can hear its honk in the early morning. Normally, this shouldn't affect sleep, but for me it is enough to wake me up. Same with noises like A/C turning on, or sometimes even ticking of a clock in my washroom! It's really insane. I was trying to use ear plugs, but they are kinda bulky and since I'm a side sleeper, they bug me to the point that I cannot fall asleep while wearing them. Maybe I'm using some incorrect ear plugs?
I don't think it is light related, because sometimes I wake when it is still quite dark outside.

Any ideas how can I prevent myself from waking up so early in the morning?
Any interesting hints on how to help "mask" all those noises that seem to wake me up?

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Mack's pillow soft earplugs are good. They conform in the ear and don't stick out.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
(male)

TomOnt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT46 View Post
Mack's pillow soft earplugs are good. They conform in the ear and don't stick out.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will order them right away.
Any other hints aside from earplugs?

Closed Thread