It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
(male)

BreathDeep HB User
CPAP Noise ResMed S9

Hello everyone:

I am a heart patient and have been on a bipap machine now for several weeks. The machine itself is quiet, except for the noise made when breathing in and out.

Do CPAP and bipap machines (I didn't even know there was a difference until week ago) make the same noise? I would think they do, but several persons have told me their CPAP machines make no noise at all.

Also, does anyone use a Resmed S9 (top of the line) CPAP unit? I am wondering if that unit makes any noise.

Thank you.

Last edited by BreathDeep; 07-30-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

Madalot HB User
Re: CPAP Noise ResMed S9

Hello BreathDeep!!

I don't have any experience with the S9, but I had top of the line equipment from Respironics in cpap and bipap. I found the noise different with both machines, but there WAS noise with both of them. I failed on both cpap and bipap and ultimately ended up on a ventilator. This makes a lot of noise, too, but none of the machines compared to the racket the oxygen concentrator makes!! I have supplemental oxygen piped through the ventilator and between the vent and the oxygen, it took a lot of adapting to be able to sleep over the noise.

I think even the best machine will have a certain amount of noise.

Sorry I can't answer your question. I wanted to let you know that you're not alone and there are others of us dealing with these machines and the noise they make.

I hope someone can answer you about the S9.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #3
(male)

BreathDeep HB User

Thanks for your answer.

I was on an oxygen machine at home for over a month (until sleep studies were done). That machine was very noisy. It didn't bother me although my wife could not sleep with it.

Wish you the best...anybody out there using an S9?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
(male)

how2savealife HB User

I have a ResMed S9 AutoSet machine that is currently programmed to run in traditional CPAP mode. It is connected to the heated humidifier and ClimateLine (heated) tubing from the machine to the nasal mask. The machine is very quiet. With a good mask seal, the noise from the machine is barely audible. The only noise that I notice is a slight high pitched whistling sound that is in synch with my breathing. I assume that is from the air passing through the humidifier or the tubing. The sound was a little annoying at first, but I've gotten used to it.

My wife doesn't even notice the noise from the machine. I think she sleeps better now that she doesn't have to listen to my snoring

My only complaint with the S9 machine is the modem that was supplied with it. The machine is supposed to send data to a special secure website that my doctor can access to see how well the CPAP therapy is working. However, the cellular modem doesn't seem to work in my apartment. Could be a poor cellular phone signal problem. There is a data card that can be removed from the machine and sent to the doctor in this case.

For anyone using an oxygen concentrator, you can ask your healthcare provider about putting the concentrator in another room. I work in healthcare and I've seen that many people use 20 to 30 feet of oxygen tubing between themeselves and the oxygen concentrator. Unfortunately, the cpap/bipap tubing can not be extended nearly as far. However, it may be possible to add an extra 6 feet or so to the tubing between you and the cpap/bipap machine depending on your setup. (I don't think you can extend the heated ClimateLine tubing, though. Putting more distance between you and the machines should make things a bit quieter.

Last edited by how2savealife; 12-13-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added additional information

The Following User Says Thank You to how2savealife For This Useful Post:
BreathDeep (12-13-2010)
Closed Thread