It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

kairdex HB User
Waking in middle of night

I don't know if hormones play a roll in sleep issues or not, but I am about 6 months post partum and the past two months I've been having on and off sleep issues. I know it's not depression or anything like that. But I can fall asleep okay and stay asleep till around 4-5am and then I wake up and can't fall back asleep. This is usually after 5-6 hours of sleep. Anyone heard of this or have any ideas on what to do for waking up like that? I have tried Benadryl and that doesn't work. And I don't want to use prescription sleep aids.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Re: Waking in middle of night

I think sleep aids (along with anti depressants) get a bad rep. I have been suffering from sleep deprivation for a while now. I've been going to a sleep clinic and everything! And the only thing that's helped is Lunesta 3mg and cutting coffee after 2. Seems so simple. But it took me and my doctors a while to figure out what was going on. I thought I was sleeping well until i noticed with help of my doctor that I wasn't. I wasn't sleeping straight through the night which was what was causing my daytime sleepiness. I was SO SLEEPY I thought I had narcolepsy. It was soo bad. It's still not 100% but working on it.

I tried Ambien, but I still tossed and turned. If I took a full 10mg dose, it would make me SO NAUSEOUS. Half wasn't enough. Lunesta is heaven sent. I sleep straight through the night with it and TRUST ME, it makes all the difference in the world. I guess I am a bit dependent on it, but without it, I just can't sleep the night. So this is helping me. It's no different than taking Claratin everyday for hives/ allergy.

At the end of the Benedryl effect, it acts like a stimulant. Something about the component of Benedryl. This is DEFINITELY what could be waking you up after 4 or 5 hours. I suggest you stop the Benedryl. If you do want something more natural/ no prescription, try Melatonin. But don't write of sleep aids. Sleep deprivation can get/ feel really bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

kairdex HB User

I don't take the Benadryl anymore I only took it once or twice. So I am like this without taking anything. It's weird because it's just been the past two months. I'll have one week where I am totally fine and the next week I am off. The past few nights I have fallen asleep around 10 and woken up exactly 5.5-6 hours later like clockwork and then I can't fall back asleep. This morning I fell back asleep for a little bit. But once I am up like that then I have to go to the bathroom, then I realize I am hungry (even though I eat a snack before bed) then I am hot, it's just annoying!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Hey Kairdex. I CAN RELATE 100 PERCENT. I am a person who is cold ALL OF THE TIME. But I almost always have night sweats!!!! ***! I am also one to fall asleep like clockwork at 11. I just say, Oh its 11, time for sleep. And I don't even struggle to fall asleep. Stay asleep was my problem- which is probably why the Ambien didn't work- it just KNOCKED ME OUT but didn't take care of the waking up in the middle of the night. I'm not trying to tell you take sleep aid- especially if you don't want to. I just really don't want you to write them off. My sleepiness (which is was my #1 reason for seeking help) got RIDICULOUS in January. I sought help maybe in March or so. Through everything, I noticed that I was getting fragmented sleep. I knew this for a fact because I am one of those who looks at the clock when I awake. SO i would see and it was 2, then again at 5 or just before. I kinda hate my job, so I'm sure it may be some low kind of anxiety. But like I said, the Lunesta has kept me sound asleep through the night. I was literally sneaking in labs in quiet rooms at my job (shhhh, don't tell anyone! ).

Sleep deprivation is a wicked thing. It's hard to catch up when your deficit is so great. You can try changing your diet and exercising... Some people feel a change with these simple things. I did not.

I really hope you get some rest. Sleeping through the night is awesome . I didn't even notice I WASN'T sleeping through the night till I started a sleep journal. I kept telling the doctor, I need help staying awake, not sleeping! I'm a pro at sleeping! But apparently I wasn't getting the right sleep. My matress SUX. So I'm also in the process of saving up for a really good one.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
(female)

kairdex HB User

Thanks! I'll keep Lunesta in mind if this doesn't work itself out soon. It's only been the past two months and it's not every week. It goes in like week cycles. Last week I was totally fine. Then suddenly Tuesday night, BAM up at 3:45-4:30. And I've been that way every night since. The past few nights I've been able to fall back asleep but only after like an hour-hour and a half of lying there awake. My mom told me to stop eating in the middle of the night too. Once I lie there for an hour I get hungry and then I have to eat something. But she said to stop eating because then my body will think it has to wake up at that time for breakfast! So this morning when I woke up at 4:30 I just drank water instead of eating and managed to not eat anything.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Valerian is very helpful for sleep and anxiety, and it's a natural herb. I take it every night.

Closed Thread