It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
How can I sleep more than 4-5 hours?

Hello. I can only sleep 4-5 hours. I want to be able to sleep again 8-9 hours but that is impossible.
I am 39 years old. Is that my destiny. I suffer from chronic neck pain non-stop and my wish is to be able to sleep 8-9 hours. I have noticed when I am able to sleep more (when I sleep more which is almost never happens more than 4-5 hours)I feel less pain and need to take less pain medication.

What can I do?. Sometimes I take sleeping pills(one day I take gabapentin 400mg x 2 and the other day I take clonazepam 4mg). sometimes i drink sleepytime tea which helps also. so i sleep. but again, it is never more than 4-5 horus. why is that?

before the car accident i was able to sleep 8-9 hours. why is that?.
i have to mention here that 2 years after the accident i was not able to sleep at all cause I did not want to go to doctors I was so sad and also did not take sleeping pills.

Anybody here was in this situation and was able to reverse it???

all the best people, may god bless us all and give us health and strengh things I have lost. It could always be worse.

HELP ME.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: How can I sleep more than 4-5 hours?

nochange: Just by your age I can tell you're either in or entering perimenopause. There's a hormone in our brain called Melatonin. It's prominent when we're young and is the reason why teenagers want to sleep all day and stay up all night. When we age it gets reduced and is the reason for insomnia during menopause. You can buy it at any place that sells vitamins. Try taking some of it. You can buy it in 3mg tablets.

The other thing you can try doing is getting some progesterone cream and using some on your wrists at bedtime. Progesterone is the calming hormone and it could help you sleep better.

You just might have to get used to the less sleep these days. It comes with age. As we age we don't require as much sleep as when we were younger and growing.

If you're drinking caffeine, you might want to cut down on that and try not to eat after 8 p.m. too.

Try to stay away from sleeping pills if at all possible. Sweet dreams!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

thanks but i have been trying melatonin tablets and it did nothing.

It all started after the car accident. It is the pain that only allows me to sleep 4-5 hours.
anybody here knows more about that? any help in the future? research. I need 8-9 hours of sleep.
Problem is that i do require more sleep. I feel i need more sleep. 4-5 hours of sleep is not enough. It is obvious.

ANybody here has been able to reverse that after a car accident???
or is there anybody here also who had insomnia caused by a car accident.

Last edited by nochange; 12-15-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Flurazepam (Dalmane) is a long acting benzo, similar to clonazepam, but longer acting, it might help to keep you asleep, especialy if combined with a sedating antihistamine, such as Benadryl or Phenergan

Even taking 50mg of Benadryl with your clonazepam might be of assistance, ask your doctor.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-23-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks so so much

Old 12-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Another thing you might try is rotating your meds, taking clonazepam one night, and another type of sedative, for example doxepin or seroquel, the next night, then back to clonazepam the night after that. In this way, the body wont get tolorant to either drug.

Doxepin is an old antidepresant that isnt used much for depression any more, but it has been found very effective as a sleep drug, it isnt addictive, it is dirt cheap, and it works!

Old 12-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jhane, what is 5htp?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

5HTP is 5-hydroxytryptophan, aka seretonin

If 4mg of Clonazepam only gives you 5 hours sleep, i dont think 5HTP is going to work a miracle for you

I would seriously discuss with your doctor the option of rotating clonazepam and either doxepin or seroquel

Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, 4mg Clonazepam allows me to sleep only 4-5 hours. My doctor knows about that.
Why? 4mg clonazepam suppose to let me sleep more than 5 hours?I did not know that. It just that it allows me to rest my neck on the pillow without feeling pain and then sleep happens.

John, I once asked you about Serequel but you told me it is not good to take it because it is a psycho drug. What made you change your mind?. Did you really change your mind?
WHat is going on here?. But I will need to go to a psychologist for this no? THe psychologist will have to say i am insane? no?. that I have biopoloar no?. but the truth is that I do not have biopolar. I always with the same mood. it is off label though for sleep now. We all know that. Doctors know that. Will I have to convince my pcp?

anybody knows if pcp's are allowed to rx serequel and what are the side effects?. who cares for side effects when all you want is to sleep, i should not even ask that. all i want is sleep 8-9 hours. what is 4-5 hours for a woman.

Please answer me back(not an order...)about serequel, as soon, as possible so i can get an apointement with my doctor and get the doxepin and/or serequel.

Anybody who has chronic pain and can fall asleep bless your luck. Count your blessings. cause most people cannot. I used to be able to sleep 8-9 hours only 5 years ago and took it for granted.

Last edited by nochange; 12-27-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I guess because its commonly used off label for sleep in the US, and you seem to be at the end of your chain. Also i now understand that although its an antipsychotic, it is used for sleep in very low doses, where the nasty side effects dont occur. If you dont want to take Seroquel, the old antidepressant doxepin (Sinequan) is a very good alternative.

I would suggest you try rotating meds, and also taking an analgesic just before bedtime (Percacet, Vicodin, whatever you are prescribed)

A simple regimen would be to take 4mg of clonalzepam plus a pain killer one night, then 50mg of Seroquel and a pain killer the next night, then back to clonazepam, then Seroquel etc.

I know Oxycontin keeps you awake, but have you tried taking another pain killer at bedtime, because it seems pain plays a major part in your sleep problems.

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-29-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

so i was trying taking 4mg clonazepam plus advil(200mg)one pill and not too much change. Woke up with less pain but slept very few hours and not good.(as usual). Perhaps i should try taking two advil today eventhough i hate it(it is not good for stomach, causes ulcer).

Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Low doses of advil, such as 400mg at bedtime, only very rarely cause ulcers, its only regular use (four times a day, for arthritis for example) that are generaly problematic.

2 Advil PM might be an even better idea, as well as the advil, they have the PM part (which is Benadryl) I know know didnt make you sleep by it self, but if taken with clonazepam, they will both intensify the effects of each other, resulting in a deeper, longer sleep, much in the same way as taking clonazepam with alcohol increases the effects of each. Given the problems you have, and that a bottle of Advil PM can be brought for $5, it might be a worthwhile experiment.

If you are worries about ulcers, you could try Tylenol PM, or asking your doctor for some Percacet/Vicodin/Norco/Lortab etc, one of the narctotic/tylenol combos.

I hope you get some releif NC, i know what you're going through, and its miserable indeed.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello violetigger welcome here, I am sorry to hear you have been in two car accident.

I do not believe in anything holistic, sorry, thanks for telling me that. You yourself stated that you do not sleep thru most nights. So holistic, arts etc;;;that is not the answer. The pain is the reason you do not sleep. I do not suffer from any anxiety. I did not have any sleeping problem prior to this pain. I was well that is the past.

death in the family caused me severe depression and I was still able to sleep. I can't say I was proud of that but I was able to sleep with tears and sadness. but the pain won't let me fall asleep.

This methods you use call holistics and arts etc I do not believe in things like that period.

What were you diagnosed with? sounds like a whiplash to me. That can cause sleep problems. no wonder you cannot sleep.

I am sorry if I offended you in any way, I just do not believe in holistic methods etc, and anyway, you see, it does not help you get a good night sleep anyway and remember, eventually, not sleeping can cause other health problems.

Closed Thread