It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

little missy HB User
Nasal polyps & sleep disorders?

Hello y'all

I'm 20 years old, and I've always been a loud breather - not asthma, but my parents told me when I was young and they checked it out they found I had nasal polyps, the doctor recommended surgery, but they decided that since it wasn't anything dangerous or that would be a burden on my life, they preferred to avoid unnecessary surgery.

It never really bothered me that I breath loudly (although it's always been annoying to get comments on it...) but lately I've been told that another problem, that I've always considered totally unrelated, might have something to do with this.

I've been told at sleepovers that I breath as if I was running a marathon when I sleep, and recent boyfriends have told me that I tend to snore as well. I fall asleep very fast - the moment I put my head on the pillow (sometimes while still talking to people...), and I sleep very deeply. I very often have dreams that I can remember, so that must mean I get REM sleep. As a kid, I used to not wake up for going to the toilets, and I would wet my bed until I was 11 (!) and started taking some sort of nose-spray. I've been told by boyfriends that I sleeptalk as well (one of them went through the effort of keeping track of the rubbish I'd say in a notebook he kept by the bed...), I know of more than one occasion in which I'm sure I sleepwalked, and I've made it a habit to check my phone thoroughly when I wake up, because every so often I see calls that I made or answered in my sleep.

Now, I've taken the liberty to abuse google to my needs and looked it up. I've found that nasal polyps can cause sleep apnea which would make for a less qualitative sleep. But since my sleep is too deep, and not too shallow - could this still be related? and if this is the case, well obviously I need to consult a doctor and everything, but is it possible that a simple, probably long-overdo surgery could solve both my loud breathing, my sleep disorders, and for the sake of those unfortunate enough to share my bed - my snoring (which is doing miserably for my already low self esteem)?

Thanks a million!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread