It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
(male)

Boston617 HB User
is this a sleeping problem?

well to start off...i was just diagnosed with MILD pulmonary hypertension, already had all the blood work ruled out negative (liver, rhumetoid diseases etc etc etc) now they are thinking possible apnea....I do snore a little, but I dont gasp for air I DONT BELIEVE. Every single night I cant fall asleep until around 3am, then I wake up at 9-10 and I am up for the day, I cant take naps, I am wide awake until this time....I am 24 years old, average sized, either exact or underweight....cigarette smoker, just recently cut down to 1 cigarette a day on the road to quitting.......could pulm. hypertension be a sign of apnea, considering it is VERY mild? What are the symptoms of apnea?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
(male)

brandonn HB User
Re: is this a sleeping problem?

With sleep apnea, comes at least some form of daytime sleepiness, somnolence, lethargia, etc. Being that you say you are wide awake for the hours that you are, I'm going to guess no. But I am far from a knowledgeable source and suggest you get other's input

Last edited by moderator2; 05-08-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: if a word is blocked, then that website is disallowed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Re: is this a sleeping problem?

My experience:
I was diagnosed with (extremely) mild sleep apnea. Now a days, the index is called AHI, and my AHI was 6. AHI includes hypopnea and apnea. Apnea is a complete stop of air flow while hypopnea is a reduced air flow or a shallow breathing. So while I had 0 apnea episodes, I have 40 hypopnea episodes, that pushed my AHI to 6. Any AHI under 5 is normal and not considered a sleep obstruction or apnea. So I am completely completely mild. Had I had a hypopnea episode of a couple seconds less, I would have had a normal AHI! I also had about 160 spontaneous sleep arousals that woke me up through out the night, sent my heart into erratic heart beat and also dropped my oxygen levels. Out of all of this, my biggest concern is daytime sleepiness!!!! I couldn't live my life with the sleepiness. It was just unbearable. I couldn't do ANYTHING. I really just HAD to sleep and picked sleeping over anything. So even tho my sleep obstruction was extremely mild, I was suffering the consequences.
So, even though you apnea is mild, it COULD cause your hypertension. But you'll have more clear results after a sleep study.

Closed Thread