It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

blackomen HB User
Waking up in the middle of night with full bladder AND thirsty

Recently, I've been sleeping poorly because I wake up feeling thirsty AND with my bladder full, wanting to go to the bathroom.

Drinking more water will cure the thirst problem but will make me wake up more to use the bathroom - Unacceptable!

Drinking less water will cure the bathroom problem but will make me even more thirsty (and I can't fall asleep at all when I'm so thirsty, I've tried.) - Also Unacceptable!

So what foods can I try to increase my body's retention of water so I'm not thirsty in the middle of the night and do not need to go to the bathroom?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Waking up in the middle of night with full bladder AND thirsty

Hi, this is a vicious cycle and one I also suffer from. Is it possible you breathe through your mouth when asleep. I know I do this because I have woke myself up making a strange sound in my throat. There is a mouth spray you can use at anytime to lubricate the mouth and stop it drying out, it does help. I found it helped at night. These sprays can be bought OTC in your Chemist. The one I use is called (bioXtra). I also found using a Nasal Spray before bedtime kept my nose clear and enabled me to breathe through ny nose instead of my mouth. Hope this helps. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

VA_girl HB User
Re: Waking up in the middle of night with full bladder AND thirsty

Soloflex, you make a great point, blackomen is probably sleeping w/ an open mouth! I wouldn't reccomend the nasal sprays or meds, some of them are addidictive and have side effects......I believe there is NO such think as a harmless pill/med to be used on a regular basis....why not consider what is causing the problem to begin with? Usually caused by allergies, get tested for food allergies, often diary, egg, or gluten allergies cause most problems. Maybe getting a humidifyer for the room also so you don't dry up as much. Just some thoughts, good luck to you both!

Closed Thread