It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User
New alternative to Cpap any experiences?

I found a new thing that one put in the nose but I am not sure if one dare to give links and just now I ahve no idea what the name was or the link.

But the principle was that one breath through the nose and then it don't allow one to breath out through the nose in same amount??? I am not sure but it did build up a pressure that should help with mild apnea but maybe not the most severe such. As always they had enthusiastic customers but that is so common that I don't trust such ads.

I got very surprised that it would be that easy. Apnea is very difficult to find easy help for. These things took in much air while inhale and did not let out as much and them wrote that the pressure that produced worked very much like a Cpap but had not the bad effects of sounding like a waterfall or the mask one need to have all night and allergic reaction to having it on the skin of the face and so on. No sound from a fan going on all night.

Cheaper to buy so them said it had much for it.

So I hope that maybe some of you have tested it.

I am a native of Sweden and doubt them sell that thing here. But it would be cool to know it it was as good a the ads say it is.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User
Re: New alternative to Cpap any experiences?

The purpose of my post was to find persons that have tried them.

I have a close relative that use CPAP and he is very satisfied with the result.

But he is a tough guy that can take anything with a smile while I am a true wimp that whine even when others say the weather is good and I say it is too cold or too warm

What was so special about this very new thing was that I read and read and never did understand how it could build up a pressure to keep the respitory channals open just by having these in the nose.

I mean if one breath by open mouth how could that build a pressure having these in the nose?

So odd claim. So I had hoped somebody have already tested them and could share with us how it felt.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Millard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB User

Hello,

I started using a nasal bridge. I used to use the mask but had a difficult time preventing leaks and waking me with the noise. The nasal bridge works well with my bi-PAP machine and is much easier to use. I will never use a mask again willingly.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

Thanks Millard.

What I talked about is more like In ear earbuds when you listen to a mp3 music player or handsfree or talk over internet earbuds headset that have earbuds going into the ear.

Instead this is smal small in-nose-buds with say 100% air when you inhale and then only 20% air out when you breath out through your nose.

That way them claim them build up a pressure in the "tract" for breathing.

I trust you have not used such. The pictures I saw had no bridge what so ever. Each Nose bud was separate and had a kind of
"filter" that let air in without hinder one way but let only 20% out the other way when you breath out.

I trust that what you talk about is an alternative to the mask for the fan driven PAP machine that blow the air constantly or that sense the pressure and adjust to the level your doctor prescribed.

That is something totally other.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

phoebe368 HB Userphoebe368 HB User

I believe you are thinking of Provent therapy. They are nasal inserts that you wear in your nostrils. When you exhale it creates negative pressure keeping your airway open. It is equivalent to using cpap at a setting of 8 cm so it may work for you if you have mild sleep apnea

Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebe368 View Post
I believe you are thinking of Provent therapy. They are nasal inserts that you wear in your nostrils. When you exhale it creates negative pressure keeping your airway open. It is equivalent to using cpap at a setting of 8 cm so it may work for you if you have mild sleep apnea
it is made by ventus medical. My doctor gave me some samples but I never tried them

The Following User Says Thank You to phoebe368 For This Useful Post:
KneeProblemGuy (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebe368 View Post
it is made by ventus medical. My doctor gave me some samples but I never tried them
phoebe368 that was exactly what I had read about and then forgotten where I saw it I thought that I had bookmarked it but obviously I had only made a note in a digital notebook instead.

So what did you try out instead of them then?

I got curious on how it works and found this text explaining it.

You will naturally switch to nasal breathing once you’re asleep, effectively “turning on” the device. /Quote

Oh I had no idea that my body change over to breathing though the nose from through the mouth.

I did not keep the recording that one would have indicated when I did go from awake to sleep then.

I guess I should start record to see if the apnea is more severe now than some years ago.

Last edited by KneeProblemGuy; 06-07-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: correction of expression

Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

So my in law relative he uses one of these CPAP machines with mask.
Them have a fan that is going the whole night. They have destilled water to not dry out the air ways.

And people report that when it misalign it sounds like waterfall.

Some get allergic to the mask.

Them cost a lot and you have to pay for a new mask say one a year or so?

So I do look for alternatives. What I found by random luck is only for mild apnea and I trust that I have the severe sort.

I have sound recorded during the night and it do seems reasonable to name it severe.

Which is bad due to such stop breathing many times and put strain on heart as I get it. No oxygen to the blood enough for heart to get enough to feel good about it.

When a couple sleep together it happens that the partner wake up her husband to make him breath again out of concern.

For us that are alone could we not have a kind of computer assistant that do the same and that would make the severe into a mild such instead?

Just my naive thoughts. A kind of Laptop program on the computer that use the microphone to listen to our breathing and when it understand that we are about to stop breathing it set a vibrator going until we respond by saying okay and it shut the vibrator off

On hospitals them pay people to look at monitors of a persons health and if them get wrong values and such them call a Doc that knows how to treat it? Yes very costly but it would be cool if one could make a program intelligent enough to be that "observant assistant" that set in some treatment. Such as a gentle nudge to get more awake and less snoring.

Am I too unrealistic. It would be better than to have it like now and better than having a CPAP machine too? Sure a huge compromise but if it save my life then I rather take the compromise than no treatment at all.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
(female)

I have mild-moderate sleep apnea with an rdi of 14, all hypopneas. I don't even snore. I tried the cpap at every pressure -even the max pressure with some improvement. I finally went and had the maxillo-mandibular jaw advancement surgery. Unfortunately my fatigue/sleepiness was improved by 40% and I have still have apnea with an rdi of 14. I had the best surgeon in the world too. Now, I'm back on auto-bipap and fortunately it is working for me. If you have severe apnea, then cpap is the way to go. I too was terrified of it and it took me a year to get used to it. I had to densensitive myself to the mask by wearing it several hours a day while doing something relaxing such as reading. I first started off wearing it onlyu 1 hour a night and gradually built up to a full 8 hours. I wear a full face mask, chinstrap and even tape my mouth. What country do you live in by the way? Do they over sleep studies?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

Hi phoebe368, I have not asked if they have such. We always have to get a prescription from an General Physician first and then he give prescription to visit an expert. Some kind of sift to not over load the experts.
I live in Sweden northern Europe next to Norway.

But one could go directly to the Expert and insist them take on up on their long queue but it cost more that way.

So maybe some of them do have sleep over measurement of how well one sleep.

I know from the sound recordings that I made that I snore wildly and then breathing stop all together for a while not sure how long this was years ago when I had such a recorder now it is broken. But after a while one hear that I wake up and breath again so such total stop of breathing is not good at all.

So sure I should do something about it but based on what you tell me it take more patience than what I ever expected.

There is Go in you. I would never accept that much trouble to endure.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
(female)

If you want to improve your health, just like anything in life you must work very hard. It is currently the number one priority in my life. Maybe because my symptons are so debilitating and I am only 32. this disorder has affected me since I was a teenager. It has RUINED my life. I don't mean to sound so negative but only a fellow sufferer knows how desperate one can become.

Good luck and avoid the UPPP surgery at all costs. Also, the best sleep clinic is Stanford Sleep Disorders Clinic in Redwood City, Ca. They discovered sleep apnea.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-07-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
(female)

I just read your profile knee, and you self-diagnosed yourself with ADHD. Did you know that sleep apnea causes ADHD. I had it too until my sleep apnea was treated.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

KneeProblemGuy HB User

Yes usually one get sleep apnea only late in adult life.

Lack of sleep does most likely affect waken attention during the day.
Sleep quality is important. I admire your motivation to do hard work.

Closed Thread