It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
(female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User
Your experiences w/ CPAP?

Hi there,
I am waiting for my prescription for the machine and mask...just wanted to see what others' experiences were with these. Any input on what type of machine to get? i only got to use 2 masks for my study, so i might get one of the ones I tried, although it's not a perfect fit. the nasal opening is a bit big and covers a little bit of my upper lip. (size s and they dont make anything smaller). And how your experiences are/were ? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Your experiences w/ CPAP?

Hi FitnessSeeker,

My husband has been using the CPAP machine for years now. It has helped him so much. He had the tests and was told he was one of the worst cases they had ever seen.

He now sleeps wonderfully, and I don't have to worry about him choking or anything worse while sleeping. Plus, he doesn't keep me up with horrible snoring anymore....lol

When are you getting the machine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

I am not sure when i'm getting my machine b/c i 'm awaiting for my prescription in the mail from stanford. Once i get that i can get started looking at machines/masks. I hope it helps me. I have heard mixed reviews about the machine.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

Good luck, I hope it helps you, too.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

TessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB User

I've been using the cpap and oxygen for 5 years now. The first 2-3 weeks is the hardest ,what with getting used to a plastic/rubber contraption on your face! But once I started sleeping better I was hooked. The other big problem is skin reaction from the plastic part on the forehead-be sure to use a cotton pad or tissue for a while at least.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
(female)

Janet481 HB User

I am on a CPAP machine...and I got the very small nasal pillows. It just sits under your nose and does have straps around your head, but it is so much better than that ungodly 1st one that went around my nose, and had a forehead brace thingie...uggg. This one is comfortable. but I sleep on my stomache which is why I needed a small contraption around my face. But...I have been using the CPAP and it is not helping me...so (

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
(female)

Just got my prescription and I'm going to 2 vendors. The prescription gives me the flexibility of getting a ResMed or a Respironics. Since I dont know which one is a better manufacturer (as for durability, i think nothing nowadays is as durable as they used to be) so I think i'm just gonna get the ResMed. The "respiratory therapist" says my prescription is good b/c the MD included the humidifier and heat tubing, but my insurance plan is lousy. My insurance only covers 50% on DME (boo!) so w/ my out of pocket costs it is just slightly lower than buying it online myself. They are making me rent it for $55 monthly. Hopefully i'll have a machine in a week...nobody wants to even talk to you until you send all the paperwork to them...

So I'll see which of the 2 vendors will give me a lower cost. The price is probably very comparable.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
(female)

Has anyone have an "auto" level? My prescription is for an auto but the therapist says it's a very small range the MD put (betw 10-13) and she says normally we want an auto level to cover a larger range. Also she says she doesn't recommend nasal pillows for those who have them on auto (?). Actually i dont' like the nasal pillow b/c it's too concentrated. When i experimented w/ them during the overnight it made my nostrils a bit itchy. They aren't good for folks with allergies....i get seasonal allergies....so i am happy with just the nasal mask.

Closed Thread