It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
(female)

balloonbash HB User
Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

Thank you so much for getting back to me. My story is that first, I've had these symptoms for over a year and a half now. I've been to neurologists, hospitals, had MRI's done, sleep study, pretty much everything.
I don't want to scare you, but when I first started to get them, on the first two weeks I had it every night. I woke up to a feeling like I was going to faint, my brain felt very tired and then the electrical shocks started, with the nausia, ringing in the ears, etc...

Two weeks of this led me to the emergency room with a minor heart attack. I was only 36 years old. The lack of sleep just got to me and my heart couldn't take it anymore.

In the hospital, they gave me an MRI and found a leigion in the area of the brain that has to do with sleep. I suggest to you to check that because I believe that this is what's causing all this. I believe it, even though the doctors were telling me that this leigion shouldn't be giving me these symptoms. Although, my family doctors said it's definately a possibility.

I also had an Engiogram done and that turned out fine, so I knew that what happened to my heart was because I couldn't take it anymore.

Now the electric sensations are stronger then they were, I get weird visions when I close my eyes, so I turn on the light and even the TV because I am so scared to close them. The nausia gets stronger too after the electricity feelings fade. I go through these waves for about an hour at the minimum. Sometimes even several hours.

The sleep study showed nothing. I actually had some of these symptoms during it, but nothing showed on the monitors so obviously this was the wrong test to do.

I definately do not believe that this is related to anxiety or panic. This is definately real, and not psycological. When so many people around you tell you that that's what it is, then sometimes it's hard to stand your ground and keep in the belief that it isn't anxiety. Don't let people get to you. I have another friend who has these symptoms, she also started getting them after she had a minor heart attack and she is afraid to even talk about them.

I have another MRI scheduled for next month. This will be the second MRI since they found that Leigion so we will see what happens.

Just like you, I am terrified to go to bed every night because I never know when I am going to wake up to this "kick" in the head feeling and then the nighmare.

Thank you so much for writing to me.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-28-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
(male)

lege009 HB User

That's interesting you had a minor heart attack that preceded all of this. My heart checked out perfectly fine. EKGs, 2 echocardiograms, 24 hour monitor, stress test, etc. doc said if I had a heart attack he would have known. I'm glad you think I should keep firm on insisting that something physical is going on.

Explain to me more about the kicking feeling to your head. I've never experienced that. I have had shocking feelings in my head but like I said, the epilepsy medication helped a lot. You should ask your doc about that possibility. Take care. Evan

Last edited by moderator2; 05-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
(male)

squeegologist HB User

I also have had episodes of this in the past, and there was a strong electrical feeling that radiated downward from my head, through my body, but feeling strongest down the arms and legs. An alarming sensation, to say the least. Had about 100+ episodes a year for three or four years, and then they went away. I could find little or nothing similar about it, so I studied up on sleep mechanisms and the related electrochemical cascades that turn off your bodies ability to move. This is known as disfacilitation, and it is a normal part of falling asleep. When I found out about this process, and the timing in which it occurs, namely, right as one passes from consciousness to sleep, it made me think about the sensations I was feeling, and how they exactly coincide with that time of transition into sleep. I also noticed that I had a little bit of a hard time rousing myself, as if I were paralyzed. This happened to me about a third of the time perhaps.

I now firmly believe that the sensations are directly linked to this process. I have recently been having the sensations again, a couple of nights this week.
I think that dehydration may play a part in being able to feel the defacilitation process, as could electrolyte imbalance, particularly potassium, sodium, and magnesium, all three of which play a part in nerve conduction and neurotransmitter production. I am not a medical professional. Just a guy who reads alot, thinks a little, and talks way too much when he thinks he's right.... anyway, keeping a healthy hydration and electrolyte balance can never hurt you, and it may help with this. Hope you get some relief. I hate that feeling, but as I am an insomniac anyway, existing on 2-6 hours of sleep per day for over thirty years now, it didn't cost me any more sleep. I did wonder if I had something seriously wrong with me for a while. I now think I am feeling a normal process in an abnormal way, or that perhaps the normal process is altered slightly, allowing me to feel it. That is as close as I can get in words. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
(female)

Raylie HB User

Maybe you have developed alpha sleep disruption?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #20
(male)

PureCoffee HB User

It seems that there were no responses directly to what you stated but I am feeling the EXACT same thing. Started two nights ago. I felt like I was getting "microwaved". I couldn't sleep although I was extremely tired.. Finally did get to sleep but feel this weird sensation throughout my chest/heart area. I know what gurd/heartburn etc is.. it is NOT that. This feeling scares me.
Any responses that make sense?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
(male)

BoatDrinks HB User

Very interesting thread and I'm somewhat relieved it's not just me...To me, I would describe it as grabbing 110V on accident while wiring your home and then it's gone in an instant. I can't say that it's localized or radiates from any one spot, but it rushes over my body as quickly as it over. The only piece I wanted to add is that it seems to occur more frequently/severe if I take nap during the day and I'm curled up on the couch with my knee's and arm's bent. If I lie stretched out in my bed or supine (flat on my back) on the couch it rarely occurs and if it does its just a minor pulse at best.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #22
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

Are you on PPI medications? I'm on Nexium BTW. The same kind of thing happens to me too...like some weird sensation springing up from the chest and there, you are awake just as you were falling alseep. Hard to describe but it is the mixture between a shock of fear, falling from like a roller coaster under gravity, shudder, sudden, twisting, ....a whole mix but a real feeling that is very sickening. This only started after I took this medication that I'm currently on for GERD / IBS. Wonder whether this has something to do with any meds especially given for GERD since some posts are mentioning this condition?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
(male)

lege009 HB User

Hello everyone,

Wanted to let you all know that I had an upper endoscopy and everything was completely normal. No hiatal hernia or signs of gerd.

Any other diagnoses that could fit these symptoms? I'm also wondering if any of you sometimes wake up with the sensation that your heart has stopped completely? I get the jolts in my chest at night prior to falling asleep but sometimes I wake up out of a dead sleep with the sensation that my heart has stopped all together.

I am currently wearing a heart event monitor for a month to get some of these shocks/sensations on tape. I am still very scared so any insight is more than welcome.

Thank you

Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
(female)

ryates80 HB User

I am a 32 year old female with severe HA related to my heart. Last night when falling asleep I had what I can only describe as an electric shock. It started in my chest and went outward. I've never had this before. I'm freaking out thinking my heart is stopping. I've had multiple ekg's, a stress test, echo (2011), holter monitor(2011), and MANY trips to ER. It's always the same dx (non cardiac chest pain or anxiety). I'm at my wits end.

The following user gives a hug of support to ryates80:
masadaman (11-15-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
(male)

Rauf1 HB User

Hi , I am a 15 year old boy.
It's the middle of the night right now and i'm really scared. I read all the posts and i can relate to most of them. This is what happend to me 20 minuts ago :
I was just about to fall asleep and then suddenly I felt a lightning bolt going trough whole my body and i immediatly woke up and was paralyzed for a few seconds. I was really freaked out and like most of you i thought i was going to die. Also i saw something like a sparc right in front of as i felt the shock. I also heard the sound of a sparc , some sorth of snap. I'm really scared and i can't go to sleep right now but I will try. If this happens again during the night , i will go right away to a hospital and get me checked out. Ill let you guys know about it.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
(male)

masadaman HB User

I have been having this sensation now for a couple of years. It happens most times I am just falling asleep when I go from that point that you are just slipping from consciousness to sleep. I jerk awake bolting upright clutching my chest with the feeling like my heart has stopped and I am dying. This will happen sometimes over and over each time I start to drift into sleep. It does feel like an electric shock somewhat. I am 62 years old and my Dr. says it is anxiety. I sometimes take an ativan which seems to help, prescribed by my Dr. It IS very scary and I can relate to all of you who experience this. Just be comforted by the fact that I have been living with it for some time now and I am not dead yet..lol. I also had the heart monitor on for a month and it showed nothing as well. Sometime it is SO violent it actually hurts. It amazes me how FAST I bolt upright out of a sound sleep. I take Lisinopril and amlodipine for blood pressure and prilosec for my stomach..who knows, maybe it's related to these meds.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
(female)

kymkat HB User

I have been having the same peoblem and I take tylenol pm almost every night to get to sleep wonder if there is a connection?

Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #28
(male)

masadaman HB User

I doubt it...I think it IS stress related... it is like when you take the load off of a machine that is running ...or when your driving your car and you put it in neutral the engine suddenly races. I think were all under stress throughout the day and as we drift off, start to relax and it is like suddenly releasing the tight rubber band that is all wound up...it jolts us wide awake. Maybe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymkat View Post
I have been having the same peoblem and I take tylenol pm almost every night to get to sleep wonder if there is a connection?

The Following User Says Thank You to masadaman For This Useful Post:
kymkat (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #29
(male)

lege009 HB User

Hello,

I second the notion that this is FREAKING SCARY. These sensations start even before I come close to drifting off. It starts with me getting these electric surges in my brain as I'm tossing and turning. With every few exhales, I will get an electric jolt that runs through my head. It feels like my brain is violently rolling around and dropping in my head. Sometimes I fall asleep, but other times, as is described above, I am abruptly awoken with the sensation that my heart has stopped all together and I am dying. I am only 22, so I'm scared that this is something I will have to live with forever. I do have some important things to note however.

In the mix of all these weird sensations, I have had what I believe were a few "nocturnal seizures" I would be awoken to paralysis and my body shaking. It would only last a few seconds, until I focused all my energy on snapping out of it. Although I couldn't prove it was seizure activity, I was prescribed lamictal and gabapentin (anti-seizure medicine). Since being on the meds, I have not woken up with the seizure sensation, but I do still have these electric jolts and shocks that everyone is describing. Therefore, I believe that these sensations are not seizure related if anyone is thinking that.

Second, I have been on xanax and klonopin for all of 2012 as I frantically tried to figure out what was wrong with me. I am currently tapering off the meds and these drugs have so many nasty side effects...especially if you have been taking them for months or years.

Once your brain becomes dependent on the benzos, you will suffer tolerance and interdose withdrawal between each dose and if you don't increase the dose. The withdrawal is horrendous. Many people say it's worse than heroin and the list of symptoms is incredible.

I would also urge you guys to have a sleep study if you have insurance and can afford it. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea about 3 weeks ago. The sleep doctor said that when you stop breathing in your sleep, your body sends an abrupt signal to wake you up and initiate breathing again. Your heart rate also tends to slow down during sleep, making you more susceptible to palpitations. It could be that your breathing is stopping as you drift off or when you are completely asleep. I am currently on CPAP. It's not the most comfortable thing, but I have not been jolted awake since using it. Now, I only have the sensations as I'm trying to fall asleep.

Lastly, I too had an event monitor and managed to get some of these heart related sensations on tape. However, it showed almost nothing (I did catch one PVC event). Being a health anxiety freak, I naturally thought the event monitor malfunctioned or something, and I needed to have another one. But I believe that's not the case. I believe that this ultimately boils down to anxiety. I know, I hate even hearing the word anxiety. I always thought doctors used it as a cheap cop-out for their lack of knowledge. These symptoms are so real and scary and it feels like something is physically wrong.

Please Let me know any updates. Reassurance through this site and others is the best way to stay calm. Please share you're thoughts. And if any of you have found a cure or diagnosis please share with everyone else. I know it can be easy to never return to this site if you are cured, but the rest of us are still suffering. Thank you and God bless.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-29-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I am curious if any of you are sleep deprived before these sensations happen and if you've been on the computer shortly before going to sleep. My son has had similar things happen and it's usually when he doesn't get enough sleep and is spending hours on the computer before going to sleep. Any connection? Perhaps overstimulation coupled with anxiety, maybe??

Last edited by rudiraven; 11-29-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Closed Thread