It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #31
(female)

kymkat HB User
Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

could be but I get plenty of sleep , I just been diagnosed with lupus , not sure if that has anything to do with either

Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #32
(male)

anikan HB User

Hello from Adelaide, Australia. I don't post in forums much but I think it is important to add ones experiences cause it really sucks when you start having the "am I dying?" conversation with yourself.

I have been having these on or off for just on 15 years now (since I was 25). I have been on Zoloft for for four years, and people say that causes them, but I can say that in at least my case I had them well before - in fact after 11 years of struggling it is probably a key reason why I am on Zoloft!

For me I get them right at that instant prior to falling asleep, there's that millisecond of falling then bam i am jerked out (like foil on a filling is how I explain it) - I get it through my brain, temples, down the jaw line and through the teeth.

Often I will physically jerk up with a sensation that I am bleeding from the mouth or nose, and I grab the pillow looking for blood. Quite scary actually.

I typically get at least one a night, but I have had up to 30 or 40 (several hours or falling asleep, bam, falling asleep, bam). When you get them chronic like that it's like a double edged sword - its exhausting but you can't sleep.

I have never met anyone with the same problem, and when I went to the doctors it was difficult to explain and mostly not believed. I've haven't found a cause or prevention, though for me I have had a better existence on Zoloft. My guesses for a cause include;
  • serotonin issues (history of depression in family / had a mild affair with extasy in my late teens to early 20's)
  • nerve problems round the temple, like a short circuit, maybe TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder) / teeth clenching related
  • stress & exhaustion - it does appear to happen more often
  • mild epilepsy - if it was discovered that it was a very very mild epileptic fit I would not be surprised
  • tumour - I don't think so, never been checked, but hey for all I know it could be a vestigial twin
  • teeth - an extreme case of sensitive teeth?
  • neck / spine - I have a lot of tension in my neck (scared of chiropractors though) - maybe it is compression of the nerves at the back of the neck, then as you relax some tension is released a bam a short circuit?
All of these are guesses based on my symptoms.

Sorry for the long post, but as I said some of this information may give some comfort to the next person. I was convinced after the first couple of years I was going to die but 15 years later I am still kicking - so if you are just experiencing this or have had it once or twice I wouldn't panic - see your doctor, get the tests done and if all is okay don't panic, you are just in a small club of freaks :O).

Time and experience helps as well. I can now feel the transition to sleep occurring and am concious enough to be aware it could happen - if it doesn't then that's the last thing I remember, if it does I don't panic so much - this seems to keep the count down to maybe once or twice.

Again sorry for the long post.

The Following User Says Thank You to anikan For This Useful Post:
headintheclouds (12-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #33
(male)

close HB User

I was surprised to see how many people have been experiencing the same thing, tho my experience is a little different, I don't really feel it in my chest or stomach like all of you its in my brain, and I see a a very dim flash. My whole body will jolt but i can tell its from my brain like it shorted out, then in a instant my body jerks like a reflex, this may sound "crazy" but I think its paranormal, government agency, or aliens. Because when this happens I never feel alone, and one time I actually felt a hand on my head like someone was sending a signal to my brain, sometimes I know when it happens other times I can't tell it even happened, I probably shouldn't tell you this but why not tell the people that are experiencing the same thing rather then going through it alone, I don't think its harmful necessarily because I always wake back up in the morning and it doesn't scare me its quite interesting if you ask me, I always give a quick look around when I can, always nothing but many times have physic experiences or communication with one time a laugh, that was freaky but it was just like they were ******* with me, like a friend would do. I can see no real pattern and I have never had it happen more then twice in a night, so 25 times is crazy to me. I don't have any proof only gut instinct, so idk if anyone else has anything similar, next time try to tell if it is coming from your brain and jolting your body instead of just in your chest or stomach, or if you do change your diet and eating habits if it changes and be consistent about it so you can rule it out, and if it still happens then who knows. **** now I'm really going to get it

Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #34
(male)

lege009 HB User

Easy with the conspiracy theories there buddy. You are experiencing hypnagogic hallucinations associated sleep paralysis and you might very well have sleep apnea. When you stop breathing in your sleep, your body sends a jolt to wake you up. Sometimes when these arousal's happen in deep sleep, you can wake up in a state of paralysis, since your body automatically goes into paralysis while you sleep so you dont act out your dreams. In other words, you're mind is waking up before your body does. Hallucinations often in sue. This thread is describing sensations during the onset of sleep. Electric surges or jolts that happen over and over. I would recommend getting a sleep study done if you can afford it. For everyone else, look into benzodiazepine use (xanax/klonopin etc.) Withdrawal or tolerance from these drugs can cause these electric jolts! wish you all good health

Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #35
(female)

star_light221 HB User

hi
I have been getting these sensations for years,i also get spinning backwards feelings, I started to investigate these weird scarey electrical heart stopping events and one night i cannot explain it but i did not jump up in fright ,instead i stayed with the feeling only to find myself looking down on my body lying in the bed,I was told i had an OUT of the body experience

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #36
(male)

lege009 HB User

Uh wow, that sound horrifying. I hope I don't go through that. But I hear what you're saying. Usually I spring up out of bed to check my pulse and see if my heart is still beating. Lately I just have been ignoring it because I know it's harmless (or at least I think it is!). But I've never had an out of body experience. Please let me know how you're doing down the road.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #37
(male)

03cobrra HB User

Shocked to find so many other people experiencing the exact same symptoms word for word as I am. I was starting to think I was a lunatic with some type of mental issue. I sit here typing this at 4am because I can't sleep due to experiencing these exact symptoms several times in the last few hours while trying to fall asleep. I gave up trying to fall asleep and decided to google this issue and stumbled upon this thread.

Like everyone else just as I am doseing off at the very instant when I'm about to fall asleep I literally jump up in a panic gasping for air as if my heart stopped and I was about to drop dead but saved my own life by waking myself up. It is the strangest/scariest feeling I've ever experienced. I'm a 26 year old male and have never had any type of sleep disorder or issue before. I would always sleep solid through the night 8-12 hours no problem at all. This just started in the last few months, it would happen one night out of the blue and then go away for several weeks or months and then come back again randomly.

I have not changed anything in my life as far as diet or sleep schedule or work hours and I'm not on any medication whatsoever. The only issue I have is I know I have some type of acid reflux or GERD which I need to have checked out but when it bothers me I usually just take some tums or Zantac or something and it goes away. I'm no doctor but I don't feel like its sleep apnea due to its randomness and the fact that it just started out of nowhere.

This is getting very frustrating as it always seems to happen when I have to wake up early the next morning and I'm up all night fighting this until I eventually fall asleep or just give up and stay awake. Hopefully someone can get an answer and help us all out.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #38
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theramses View Post
I've been having these weird electric/shock sensations occur right when I'm about to fall asleep.

It's hard to describe, but it's like my brain all of a sudden sends an electric current throughout my body waking me up? Could be my brain or my chest, I'm not even sure. All I know is when it happens it scares the crap out of me. I feel like I'm going to die or something.
Thanks.

Hi there,

Have you been on any PPIs recently like Nexpro or anything similar? I have had what you describe and that all started when I was put on PPI drugs. Getting off of the PPIs did not stop this. Going to an Ayurvedic doctor I was diagnosed to have nerve damage caused by the PPIs (the PPI I was given was Nexium). The damaged nerves must have been causing this because when I started treatment for that, it reduced and now it is hardly there apart from the odd day which is when I have a heavy meal and the heart and stomach has to work extra hard. I was told that the damaged nerves are the ones that are between the heart and the diaphragm. Hope this helps you...

Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #39
(female)

To 03Cobrra,

I also thought this was a sleep disorder but later found out that it wasn't. Have you also been on PPI drugs recently? I have experienced what you guys described. Pls read my response above to the original poster...it might help you.

Tk Care.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #40
(male)

lege009 HB User

What "treatment" helped with your nerve damage? The sensations I experience are in between my heart and my diaphragm, so I think I might have the same thing. What helped?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #41
(male)

03cobrra HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugulimo View Post
To 03Cobrra,

I also thought this was a sleep disorder but later found out that it wasn't. Have you also been on PPI drugs recently? I have experienced what you guys described. Pls read my response above to the original poster...it might help you.

Tk Care.
No none at all but I'm going to start taking some OTC Prilosec or Zantac to see if it helps with the acid reflux which in turn might be causing the sleep issue.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #42
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lege009 View Post
What "treatment" helped with your nerve damage? The sensations I experience are in between my heart and my diaphragm, so I think I might have the same thing. What helped?
Hi there, Yes the sensations are between the heart and the diaphragm. I sought Ayurvedic treatment and I've been given various medicines for about 2 months now. It is a very slow healing process and on top of that the PPIs caused heart palpitations...possibly related to the nerve damage because I'm told the palpitations are not a cardiac issue. Currently I'm on a medicine called "Makaraddhawaja - 5g Gold Blended" which is also an Ayurvedic medicine. This though has to be taken with the advice of a doctor who knows what else you have to take with this. It is for "diseases connected with nervous system / epilepsy / giddiness...(goes on)" as described on the packaging. I think if you can find an Ayurvedic practitioner (eastern - Indian / Sri Lankan), they will know how to help you out. All the best.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #43
(male)

matjosh HB User

Hey guys, im happy i found this thread, its calming to see other people having pretty much the same thing and surviving just fine. I only started having this sensation right before this christmas.
im 23yr old guy, and i guess i have to mention that this happened few days after i partied pretty hard. I took some extasy for the first time, partied for 2 days straight, i didn't eat much, and probably didn't drink enough water too.. so theres plenty of reasons to blame this on, i know.
So this happened a few days after the party, i was rested by then, back home, trying to fall asleep, and the electric bolt sensation in the back of my head came out of the blue, i dont think i was even too close to falling asleep, because it usually takes me awhile.. first time i was scared sh*tless. heart started racing, i felt a little numb, like a tingly feeling int the hands. also the closed eye visuals (the lava lamp kind of colours you see when you close your eyes) seemed to be way more intense than usual, vision was really grainy. then it happened again a few times, and actually after like 5 times, i THINK i was albe to evoke this feeling at will. next night i could repeat it too. it wasnt pleasant at all, but i was curiuos, it felt more like intesified fainting, than dying.. So the next day i kinda tried googling that, and actually found that the feelings that came with the lightning to the head feeling,etc. were actually "common symptoms of astral projection"... go figure.
I didn't see any doctors yet, and im not on any heavy medication at all.
and im not as disturbed by it so far to go check myself out, rather curious. iv'e been having it on and off during last few weeks, but not as harsh as the first times, only once or twice a night, every other night maybe.

so yea, just sharing my bit. cheers!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #44
(male)

lege009 HB User

Stay off of benzos! They will try to prescribe to you to help you sleep. Ive had the nastiest withdrawals. Interesting this happened after X use. I used X lots of times in the past as well, and these are still scaring the crap out of me every night (been almost 2 years now). Im still chugging along though. Docs dont know ****. Good luck! and if you find out anything. let us know

Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
(female)

ruthannemlo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theramses View Post
I've been having these weird electric/shock sensations occur right when I'm about to fall asleep.

It's hard to describe, but it's like my brain all of a sudden sends an electric current throughout my body waking me up? Could be my brain or my chest, I'm not even sure. All I know is when it happens it scares the crap out of me. I feel like I'm going to die or something.

I don't see any flashes or hear anything; it's just the sensation I feel. I'm not short of breath and my heart only races because it scares me.

They literally just started a week ago. Some nights it will only happen once or twice and I can get to sleep pretty easy. But there have been a couple nights where it happens like, 5 times. Those nights it's super hard to get to sleep because I'm scared, I don't want it to happen because it freaks me out every time. I do fall asleep eventually, but I stay up for hours on end out of fear.

It's weird because when I try to go to sleep for the first time, I'm super tired, but after these shocks happen it's like I'm wide awake after the bad ones. It's just frustrating because I haven't had a great nights sleep since this has started.

I just think it's weird that these have sprang up last week out of the blue? I've gone 22 years without them and they just start randomly? I think they may be related to stress, with me starting a new job, plus this year has been pretty stressful in general for me. But I find it really hard to calm down after it happens.

But anyway, sorry for rambling. Just was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and any advice for maybe getting rid of them?
Thanks.
Hi, I just had a scare such as that twice last night. It suddenly wakes me up with a feeling of electricity going through your whole body. My hart does race and its like i catch my breath. I asked my Dr about this and he had no suggestions for me.
Last night it was the worst one I ever had. I still have chest pain from it.

The following user gives a hug of support to ruthannemlo:
swilhelmaq83 (04-14-2013)
Closed Thread