It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #46
(female)

Tarreymere HB User
Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

Well, in the event that at some point in the future medical science actually figures these things out let me add my story in case it might help make sense of this phenomenon if anyone actually bothers to research it.

I'm 48, overweight, and female. Over ten years ago I started having these painful electrical shocks at night, and waking chest pain and tachycardia that lasted all the time. The shocks are so NOT the simple falling feeling thing that I used to get now and then when I was falling asleep. That would be like comparing a mouse with an elephant.

I had a whole lot of heart tests then, and basically was told it was anxiety. Okay. I also had high blood pressure. I starting taking blood pressure medication and effexor and buspar for anxiety. I'm told my high blood pressure is well controlled. The tachycardia never did go away but all the doctors ignore it. Odd, because they told me I had anxiety because of it but none of their anxiety meds ever got rid of it. But they tell me I'm cured.

Over the years I have still had these sensations, which for me are like a freakin cattle prod to various body parts, most recently in my face, during the night. I still have high blood pressure, and interestingly my heart rate at rest is still around 110 to 120 bpm (and yes I go to the gym). I get up to around 170 to 180 bpm standing or walking around (I bought a pulse oximeter to help keep track).

Medical professionals look right at these things and tell me I'm just anxious. I had a sleep study and it was normal, oddly enough because my husband complains loudly and frequently that my snoring and twitching keep him awake all the time. The sleep study showed no snoring, so my doctor says I don't snore. My husband has had to tell him I do, because he won't believe me. Now the doctor thinks my husband is as nuts as I am.

I wake up daily exhausted, unable to breathe through my nose, with painfully dry mouth and throat. My husband says I snore like nothing he has ever heard, gasp, choke, stop breathing, and twitch all night. I can't get another sleep study ordered because my doctor says the last one (almost seven years ago) was normal and won't order another.

Doctors keep telling me it is anxiety. I'm beyond exhausted. I had to stop working over five years ago. Now I can't drive anymore, can't focus very well, and I'm worried about being responsible for my children when I'm alone with them during the day. I am so exhausted that I feel every day like I'm moving through a dream underwater. My husband was worried I had a stroke several times because I couldn't talk clearly from the exhaustion. Nope, all in my head according to the doctors.

They say I'm just anxious and my sleep is normal.
I want to add that my mother had all of these same things and was told the same thing. She spent four days in a telemetry unit on a heart monitor and was discharged to home with a diagnosis of anxiety and no heart problem. She died two weeks later. They called it a sudden cardiac event on the death certificate. She was 52, overweight, with high blood pressure controlled on blood pressure medication. This was 22 years ago. I'm 48. I feel like this could happen to me any minute. And no, I'm not anxious about it, I'm just sad and resigned.

If anyone figures out a fix let me know. If anyone researches this, please check in and find out what happened to me. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #47
(male)

mikeythamouse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wale23 View Post
I have been having the same problem as well for nearly three weeks now. It first started as hypnic jerks. I used to twitch violently right when i officially fell asleep. Right now, I also get an electric shock feeling running through my chest and stomach when I officially fall asleep. I also have random twitches when I am awake. Like my fingers, back, lower back, head, toes and legs would twitch very randomly although this doesn't happen as much anymore. I tried drinking gatorade last night to see if it was an electrolyte imbalance, well guess what nothing is working. I am now scared of falling asleep. I have to take xanax to sleep but I don't want to anymore. I don't want to be addicted to it. Have any of you gotten rid of this?
I occasionally get the shocks still but not bad any more, the amount of twitching your gerring makes me think your having calcium-magneseum deficiency. Try that and let me know if it works. And lots of water. I was getting some twitching and that worked for me.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #48
(male)

swilhelmaq83 HB User
Question Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

Crash Cart Type of Experience?
I was only recently able to describe these shocks or whatever they are. I have had insomnia for 16 years. Started in high school and got worse. To varying degrees it got worse. At first it was the falling thing. Then it was the shocking thing. Then, that's another story...
But, I had a few experiences where I'm trying to work through it and I reach this place that's like in between.
Alright I have a more direct example.
Shock shock ignore ignore. I look up. I'm on this street at night and I'm carrying a fan. I find I can't breathe but not panicky can't breathe. But thinking too much about not breathing gets me panicked and I struggle. No change still on the street with the fan in my arms. Struggle struggle POP! I'm on my bed staring at the fan at my feet keeping me cool.
It was this strange place in between awake and dreaming that I managed to get stuck in though. I feel like it provides me with more insight though? Maybe not but I wanted to know if anyone else felt that way or if it was just an individual dream thing...? It just feels like a crash cart sort of experience.

Last edited by swilhelmaq83; 04-14-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Better description

Old 04-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #49
(male)

swilhelmaq83 HB User

I had the exact same happen to me! I worry about posting to many details as we all are prone to sub consciously relating.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #50
(female)

Rose G HB User

Years ago I had a similar experience. It was an electrical feeling and at times I would be right at the precipice of sleep or I would hear a phone ringing, my alarm clock or someone calling my name. I was jerking myself awake over and over again. I thought I was going insane. I went for every test under the sun. Given countless medications. After a while I became so depressed. Finally I found the answer that helped me. I take the lowest dose of Trazadone right before sleep. It stops this weird type of myoconic, hypnic jerks. After all the doctors and tests it was actually my mother who suggested the Trazadone.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #51
(female)

Anita26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by close View Post
I was surprised to see how many people have been experiencing the same thing, tho my experience is a little different, I don't really feel it in my chest or stomach like all of you its in my brain, and I see a a very dim flash. My whole body will jolt but i can tell its from my brain like it shorted out, then in a instant my body jerks like a reflex, this may sound "crazy" but I think its paranormal, government agency, or aliens. Because when this happens I never feel alone, and one time I actually felt a hand on my head like someone was sending a signal to my brain, sometimes I know when it happens other times I can't tell it even happened, I probably shouldn't tell you this but why not tell the people that are experiencing the same thing rather then going through it alone, I don't think its harmful necessarily because I always wake back up in the morning and it doesn't scare me its quite interesting if you ask me, I always give a quick look around when I can, always nothing but many times have physic experiences or communication with one time a laugh, that was freaky but it was just like they were ******* with me, like a friend would do. I can see no real pattern and I have never had it happen more then twice in a night, so 25 times is crazy to me. I don't have any proof only gut instinct, so idk if anyone else has anything similar, next time try to tell if it is coming from your brain and jolting your body instead of just in your chest or stomach, or if you do change your diet and eating habits if it changes and be consistent about it so you can rule it out, and if it still happens then who knows. **** now I'm really going to get it
I started getting 'zapped' in my chest during the night about a month ago and now it's even during the daytime in my back. It is so intense at times, it's hard to function normally. My family life is suffering as a result. I was in the spirituality business last year and after I ended that, all this started to happen. I'm also hearing voices in my head saying that I am getting "tasered" by aliens. And nope I'm not crazy! I got an MBA and a PhD in Natural Health and even wrote a book on retirement lifestyles (although it all seems like a lifetime ago). I just want my normal life back. I haven't slept well in weeks and even during the day when I take a nap, I wake up with my hands 'buzzing' and feeling very depressed. My brain MRI came out negative so no issues there. I also feel transient pressure on my back and over my chest which comes and goes. My husband says it's all in my head and I wish it were as easy as that (anxiety) but it feels like a very real electric sensation. I'm not sure how I'm going to get through all of this without losing my mind! Please help!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #52
(female)

MatoWia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theramses View Post
I've been having these weird electric/shock sensations occur right when I'm about to fall asleep.

It's hard to describe, but it's like my brain all of a sudden sends an electric current throughout my body waking me up? Could be my brain or my chest, I'm not even sure. All I know is when it happens it scares the crap out of me. I feel like I'm going to die or something.

I don't see any flashes or hear anything; it's just the sensation I feel. I'm not short of breath and my heart only races because it scares me.

They literally just started a week ago. Some nights it will only happen once or twice and I can get to sleep pretty easy. But there have been a couple nights where it happens like, 5 times. Those nights it's super hard to get to sleep because I'm scared, I don't want it to happen because it freaks me out every time. I do fall asleep eventually, but I stay up for hours on end out of fear.

It's weird because when I try to go to sleep for the first time, I'm super tired, but after these shocks happen it's like I'm wide awake after the bad ones. It's just frustrating because I haven't had a great nights sleep since this has started.

I just think it's weird that these have sprang up last week out of the blue? I've gone 22 years without them and they just start randomly? I think they may be related to stress, with me starting a new job, plus this year has been pretty stressful in general for me. But I find it really hard to calm down after it happens.

But anyway, sorry for rambling. Just was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and any advice for maybe getting rid of them?
Thanks.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
(female)

MatoWia HB User

Same thing has happened to me 3 times now.. but a little different because it is not right when I fall asleep. I will be asleep for a couple of hours first time and it always begins with a dream.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #54
(male)

cjg123 HB User

I'm a 24 year old male that has been experiencing something like this too, for about 5 years and more times than I can accurately count, probably an average of 5 times a month for those five years. It happens when I'm in a "half asleep" state, and I can describe it in steps.

1) I start to feel an electric charge build roughly in the base of my skull.
2) The charge seems to build, and as it does a ringing in my ears starts and begins to get louder, and a light that feels "behind" my eyes starts to get brighter.
3)The charge builds to a certain point and releases, my entire brain feels like it is pulsing with electricity, the light flashes, the ringing "screams" for a fraction of a second, then it shoots a shock down my spine, the ringing stops, the light goes away.
4)A short time later it starts again from number 1, and can happen anywhere from a couple times to more than 20 times.

I've never actually worried about what it could be, more just curiosity. I actually enjoy the sensation and like when I have them. So far the only correlation with anything else I have noticed is that I tend to remember much longer portions of dreams, and those dreams seem to be more intricate. I don't do any drugs and don't take any meds more powerful than the occasional Advil. I would not consider myself stressed. I get plenty of sleep, I am healthy and active, and have experienced no negative effects from this. My doctor looked at me like a lost puppy when I told him, and provided not even the weakest attempt at explaining what it COULD be.

Last edited by cjg123; 04-20-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: adding details

Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #55
(female)

MatoWia HB User

Yes the dreams are very vivid.. First time I saw a man whom was a teacher who passed and I took over his class... he actually stood by the bed and when he waved his hand from the top of my head down my spine to my feet and back up again..the zapping with it.. I woke up and told him to go away and turned my back to him. Next time My sister had passed and this time i recognized it was comming and just let it do its thing only it wasnt as strong as the first time..I dreamt my sister was standing behind me.. third time I fought it.. I heard a ringing like wind chimes and knew it was comming and told it to stop, it reached the back of my neck even though I was paralyzed fought to get up in a sitting position which I did..tried to turn on the light and it wouldnt turn on.. I started praying at that point.. heard a whimper.. I got up to get to my sons room but two spirits I dont know who was standing at the doorway a small young girl and a thin man.. I told them to get outta the way as I pushed through them I reached for the hall light and it wouldnt turn on..I heard a growl behind me..I wasnt afraid I was just mad at the invasion of my body without permission.. I went down the hall looking yelling for my son only to find myself yelling out my brother who had just passed name.. I stopped in front of my sons door went in and told him to get up.. that I was having a bad dream which he told me he heard me yelling.. he got up and hugged me as I cried.. i told him to turn on the light which he did and I saw my daughter sitting on a chair.. then I knew I was still dreaming..I woke up. Now I know many are going to say fitfull dreams but my zapping is always associated with the same thing .. spirits. Now I would like to know DOES ANYBODY have this expierience? p.s. I am not on any medication but I did find out last year I have been grinding my teeth while I sleep.

Last edited by MatoWia; 04-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #56
(male)

Imperium HB User
Thumbs up Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui_rayne View Post
Thank you Jane for your reply, but I have had myclonic or hypnic jerks before and this is far more terrifying.... This is something all together different. It is not the feeling like I am falling and I jerk awake. This is very hard to describe and no one seems to understand..not even the DR.'s. I am going crazy.

This feels like I am dying and my body sends a signal to restart my heart.... I don't "jerk" from it. It is a sensation radiating from my chest area kinda like an electric pulse or buzz...that instantly wakes me up. I feel as if my heart stopped and I take a deep breath from pure fear. This happens over and over and over each time I am just drifting off to sleep. I can see how many people could say "hypnic jerk or myclonic jerk...or even sleep apnea....but this is something far more intense and terrifying. I have found a few people on here who are describing the same thing or very similar. I am waiting to see if they reply.

But I thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
i have the exact same things as you right there it all started with body movements like my leg shooting to the right or left etc and full body jerks which only happens as im about to dose off.Now they have stopped to some degree and this pulsing explosion of electric/buzz/weak feeling just shoots into my heart now get it a good 6-7 times a night feels like im gonna die each time , i havent been to get checked up as i'am a bit scared incase it serious bad news my mates dont understand properly as its hard to explain to them they wouldnt know how it would feel like untill they get it and i hope they dont.

its really keeping awake at night and i dont know if its stress related for me because i feel fine metally and dont really have nothing to stress about.

the first time i had it it only happened 1 time that night and now its persistent

i do drink alot of soda and drink before bed aswell im guessing this may be the case for me. well my heart goes out to the ones suffering as its truly horrible and unprovoked condition.
edit: forgot to mention i used to get the breathing problem where everytime u dose off you stop breathing but you dont realise and then bang your flopping around like a fish gasping for air. this has somewhat stopped and be replaced with the heart pulse shock buzz weak feeling,
id much rather the random leg kicks and body movements over any of those 2

Last edited by Imperium; 04-23-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #57
(female)

Flygirl7eca HB User

You might look into Exploding Head Syndrome (EHS) look it up on Wikipedia. Nothing lift threatening just annoying.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #58
(female)

amandavss HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theramses View Post
I've been having these weird electric/shock sensations occur right when I'm about to fall asleep.

It's hard to describe, but it's like my brain all of a sudden sends an electric current throughout my body waking me up? Could be my brain or my chest, I'm not even sure. All I know is when it happens it scares the crap out of me. I feel like I'm going to die or something.

I don't see any flashes or hear anything; it's just the sensation I feel. I'm not short of breath and my heart only races because it scares me.

They literally just started a week ago. Some nights it will only happen once or twice and I can get to sleep pretty easy. But there have been a couple nights where it happens like, 5 times. Those nights it's super hard to get to sleep because I'm scared, I don't want it to happen because it freaks me out every time. I do fall asleep eventually, but I stay up for hours on end out of fear.

It's weird because when I try to go to sleep for the first time, I'm super tired, but after these shocks happen it's like I'm wide awake after the bad ones. It's just frustrating because I haven't had a great nights sleep since this has started.

I just think it's weird that these have sprang up last week out of the blue? I've gone 22 years without them and they just start randomly? I think they may be related to stress, with me starting a new job, plus this year has been pretty stressful in general for me. But I find it really hard to calm down after it happens.

But anyway, sorry for rambling. Just was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and any advice for maybe getting rid of them?
Thanks.
I've been having the same feelings. I will lay down and start to fall to sleep, and I'll get into a really deep sleep, almost like I'm losing consciousness or going into a coma.. I'll try to come out of it, wake up.. but I'll feel so tired, more tired then I've ever felt,, like I just cannot open my eyes and wake up.. but eventually I do wake myself up.. and then when I calm myself down and try to go back to sleep, the jolts will continue to happen every time I'm drifting off to sleep.. sometimes in my stomach/ chest.. Other nights before falling to sleep, when I'm almost asleep my brain makes a weird noise.. or I hear a noise.. from inside of my brain.. like a swoosh sound, or a door shutting.. I've noticed that when I get these feelings, after I wake myself up,, I'll make myself go drink some water, or stay up for about 20 minutes.. then I'll lay back down and be fine...
I take prilosec, someone mentioned they took that too. I get horrible heartburn and have been taking that for a few months. I also have Mitral Valve prolapse (where one valve in the heart don't always close all the way) and I take toprol xl... My gallbladder doesn't function.. but never had it removed.. Maybe if we all list what conditions we have and meciations we're all on, we'll find something in common that might be causing this. I also have horrible anxiety and severe depression. Been diagnosed with OCD, severe depression, anxiety.. borderline personality.. possible bipolar.. I read that bipolar people will have disruptions similar to these shocks we're having. I also get migraines where I see zigzags and go partially blinded in one eye for about 20 mins.. those are called aura migraines... I was taking prozac for about 3 years and stopped that a few months ago.. I was experiencing brain zaps.. which are common after stopping an anti depressant.. but these shocks are different then those. I've noticed that I get these sensations usually the week before I start my period or during my period... This is really scary and driving me crazy! Some nights I sleep fine.. but the last two nights its done the same thing... and I can feel migraine coming on right now! Which usually follow my period.. It's crazy that so many experience this but the doctors have no idea or clue what we're talking about...

Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
(female)

amandavss HB User

I've also read,,, those with thyroid disorder can fall into a deep sleep or coma or have weird sensations too.. anyone have thyroid disorder?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #60
(female)

A1Crafter HB User

I have been having these shocks when I am just on the edge of falling asleep. It seems to be mostly in my head (ears). I'm glad to hear I am not alone but it is scary when it happens. Seems more frequent when I am stressed or anxious about something. I have not talked to a doctor about it yet but will on my next visit. Someone mentioned dehydration might be the culprit. I will try to drink more and see if this helps.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Closed Thread