It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #61
(male)

scallanan HB User
Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

Hey, lately I've been getting the same sensation as described in this thread. It first happened about a month ago during an LSD trip and it freaked me out because I had originally thought it was due to the ingestion of the drug. But reading through this thread, it seems as though other factors play a bigger role in producing this sensation. Since it first happened to me, I've abstained from using any hard drugs, but it hasn't stopped this sensation (which ALWAYS occurs just before I drift off to sleep). For me, the sensation is best described as an electric shock which seems to start at my right temple and runs right through my body. I've gotten used to the feeling as it's been happening most nights since it first began, but I can say that it isn't very pleasant. Almost every time it will bring me right out of my sleep to the point where I'm wide awake again. For those that find it hard to imagine the feeling, if you've ever had the sensation of jerking out of your sleep, it is quite similar. The only difference between jerking in your dreams and this is that that this electric sensation always occurs directly BEFORE you enter your sleep and not DURING it, and it also sends what seems like an electrical current through your body as you jerk wide awake. This electrical sensation is very intense but it only lasts a moment.

Looking through this thread, it seems as though factors such as dehydration and stress are a bigger cause of this sensation than what I had originally thought (I drink very little fluids during the day, and as of the last couple of years, I've been under a lot of stress due to a couple of different reasons). Also while scanning the replies to this thread, I saw someone mention astral projection/lucid dreaming. It is possible that this electrical sensation occurs every night to us, but that most of us do not feel it happening. OBE's (Out-of-body experiences/Lucid dreaming/Astral projection) is the same as dreaming, and before someone enters a conscious OBE/dream they will always get a very intense sensation (just like this electrical sensation) before entering that "dream world," similar to how we get this electrical sensation directly before we enter our own sleep/dream. So maybe that's all we're feeling??

Anyway, hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #62
(male)

Mitio HB User

I got the electric shock sensation problem as well (only one night a few times, yesterday so far), and it comes for me with the full package - I felt it in my head and chest, before falling asleep, but while I was still awake, and at the same time I got a little hallucination - I heard a little girl's voice call repeatedly "daddy"... It was so realistic I thought at first my neighbor's little daughter was screaming after a nightmare or something. So it really shocked me when I realized it's coming from within my head (I have no children which further puzzled me). As far as medicine goes, I am the "no chems, only natural salves" kind of guy so I have never taken any relevant medication. I drink 3 liters of water a day, and I don't drink any electrolyte heavy drinks, so I doubt it is a matter of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance. The only issue I have is that I am constantly a little sleep deprived, from a very early age I sleep 6-7 hours a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matjosh
i THINK i was albe to evoke this feeling at will.
Same here - as I got agitated about what had happened, I felt it almost starting again, and when I forced myself to stop thinking of it I fell asleep normally. This, coupled with the hallucination makes me think this has to be on psychological grounds, but then again I am no physician, and judging from all your posts there isn't much point to visit one.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #63
(female)

kristeena7 HB User

Hello everyone, I too experience this like 2 or 3 times a year. There is nothing wrong. I just completed a Psychology class in which I discovered why this happens. It is called ASC...Altered State of Consciousness. When you are half asleep...NOT in REM...when this happens your neurons in your brain overload every so often. I don't know why they do, but this happens sending the "shock" and "buzz" feeling throughout your body. Neurons in your body are connected throughout. When this happens to me...It is always in the morning after I sleep all night, get up, and go back to bed. Just before I truly fall asleep I get a buzzing sensation, and electrical shocks. It just happened this morning, and for the first time I heard a fuzzy sound, like when the radio is in between stations. This time it was actually painful, and I knew I was in bed, but unable to "wake up". It is scary, but not harmful. Hope this helps guys!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to kristeena7 For This Useful Post:
JimB (07-27-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #64
(male)

FluffyPancakes HB User

Here's my story: I've been having these "sensations" for over a year now I'm sure, so unlike some of you, they don't scare me when it happens to creep up on me. You could say I've gotten used to it, although it's been quite some time since it's happened. Until about 10 minutes ago that is lol. I just laid my head down and closed my eyes when I felt myself falling asleep. Just as I'm sure to be lost in my dreams I get that "jolt". It felt like my whole body vibrated with electricity. A volt, or a pulse. I could also hear it in the inside of my head.

It certainly IS a strange feeling. But here's what I've come up with; I'd JUST ate a big plate of food. That was the reason for me laying down in the first place (lol, I know). And keep in mind that this hasn't happened to me in a while, some 3 months I'd say, so when this happened, I was certain, almost 100% sure, that it had something to do with eating and sleeping.

I'm sure someone can draw their own conclusions from my experience, although I'm positive it's happened before without me going to bed without being full.

Personally, I feel it's totally harmless, but can surely put someone off. I think I remember myself wondering what the hell just happened when my whole body 'jolted'. Anyway, I hope someone can explain what this thing is, I'm curious!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #65
(female)

Mattersovermind HB User
Exclamation Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

I actually was googling to find out if anyone else had this but to find a montage of what felt like a biography of my life - then to see the posts started back in 2011 I said to myself.... Figures but was elated that it has come to recent posts. I have health issues. Basically since age 9. Called MCTD or overlapping disease. Basically whatever autoimmune disease (always been my joints, lupus, fibro, nerve issues) it wants to act like- well this year after years of docs trying to figure out my crazy symptoms- they DX me with dysautonomia dysautowhat? Yeah..... Also known as POTS.

A lot if what y'all are describing is issues with your heart, yes dehydration and nervous system. This disease is rare but in a sense they don't know a lot about it but think more people have it than they think. No blood test, sleep study or MRI can find this. A table tilt test can be done but can take up to a year to get. But you can do one called a poor mans tilt test yourself. Docs usually don't find this and disregard when your BP is normal at regular visits. So- lay down - take BP and heart rate - - then stand up (even if none recorded keep doing it) then sit down do it again. Then stand for about 5 min in place and take it. Then lay down again. If it fluctuates.

This disease effects your autonomic Nervous system which if you don't know controls everything in your body. Heart, sodium level, blood levels, adrenals, BP , Extreme fatigue and keeps going into hypersensitive with allergies- (food) it can get serous. All they can do is slow it down. But playing with this can be deadly. These things y'all are talking about I get ritually every time I close my eyes. I do not have sleep apnea, they mis DX with anxiety (heart pounding) its your heart, no depression (I get pissy but who doesn't) and if I can help anyone that's what I can do so they don't go through the wth is wrong or it's in your head crap must b the meds- **** I have endured.

Some new studies state that it's a close relative to Parkinson's but more likely due to autoimmune and fibro connected. I'm still trying to figure this shock crap that does scare me as well. No pain, heart racing, and just for a split second like everything stops and you know it subconsciously so you open your eyes and a quick startle. Then you dose off again. I can do this over and over. It's scary.

Hope if I helped at least one than I did help someone.

Kris

Last edited by moderator2; 07-27-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #66
(female)

cindy in az HB User
Angry Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

This has been going on for me for about 3 1/2 years now. Also, my jaw slams shut just as I am falling asleep. My neurologist diagnosed it (jaw issue) as faciomandibular myoclonus. I am not sure if it related to the electric shock sensation, but they both started at the same time. It completely sucks and has destroyed my life and sleep.

One interesting thing I noticed is that it began when my building (I live in a high rise) installed a sonar device along the fourth floor. I am no conspiracy theorist, but I have read that sonar can have significant effects on your CNS. Recently, the sonar device was down, I am guessing; as the pigeons that are normally repelled by the device made a return. Wonder of wonders, the jaw slamming and electric shock feeling when falling asleep eased SIGNFICANTLY to the point I thought this nightmare was ending! Lo and behold, the device was reengaged I can tell as there are no more pigeons cooing and making baby pigeons on my patio.

I am not suggesting this must be the cause, but the coincidence of the factors is notable. If anyone lives in a high rise with sonar, an urban area with high rises, or the ocean, I would be interested to compare notes if you feel comfortable with it. Sometimes a few beers before bed seems to help. My neurologist has consulted with others, have had countless MRIs, EEGs, sleep studies, and no abnormalities have been found. He told me to go ahead and have the beers if it helps because he, nor any of his colleagues have ANY answers and he's supposed to be the best in the city. Frustrating beyond belief!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #67
(female)

cindy in az HB User
Angry Re: electric/shock sensation while falling asleep?

This has been going on for me for about 3 1/2 years now. Also, my jaw slams shut just as I am falling asleep. My neurologist diagnosed it (jaw issue) as faciomandibular myoclonus. I am not sure if it related to the electric shock sensation, but they both started at the same time. It completely sucks and has destroyed my life and sleep.

One interesting thing I noticed is that it began when my building (I live in a high rise) installed a sonar device along the fourth floor. I am no conspiracy theorist, but I have read that sonar can have significant effects on your CNS. Recently, the sonar device was down, I am guessing; as the pigeons that are normally repelled by the device made a return. Wonder of wonders, the jaw slamming and electric shock feeling when falling asleep eased SIGNFICANTLY to the point I thought this nightmare was ending! Lo and behold, the device was reengaged I can tell as there are no more pigeons cooing and making baby pigeons on my patio.

I am not suggesting this must be the cause, but the coincidence of the factors is notable. If anyone lives in a high rise with sonar, an urban area with high rises, or the ocean, I would be interested to compare notes if you feel comfortable with it. Sometimes a few beers before bed seems to help. My neurologist has consulted with others, have had countless MRIs, EEGs, sleep studies, and no abnormalities have been found. He told me to go ahead and have the beers if it helps because he, nor any of his colleagues have ANY answers and he's supposed to be the best in the city. Frustrating beyond belief!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #68
(male)

anonymous usr HB User

Just had this happen to me last night. I've had the jerking sensation like I was falling many times before. This is nothing like that. It really is like you are dying. Leading up to this episode I had not gotten much sleep and had actually just got in about 1 am from a long drive. I no doubt was a little dehydrated and lack of sleep. As it took a while for me to cool down from driving as I was dozing off..all of a sudden this hard to describe shock went from the base of my neck to my brain so strong I knew it was happening but I was completely paralyzed and felt if I was floating. I honestly thought I was having a stroke and these where my last moments on earth. Of course I've never had one so don't know what one would feel like. My only hope is that I don't experience it again.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #69
(male)

dazzyboy10 HB User

If anybody is still reading this thread then maybe I could Help shed some light on this situation. I suffer from sleep paralysis and have done for many years. When I went through a very stressful period my system would go into defence mode and with the added lack of sleep, would make me overly aware of my system. The electrical sensations are just signals being sent from the brain but because of the over tiredness, they are able to be noticed. Whenever I experience these episodes, I literally just sit up for about half an hour and play games on my phone and then try to go back to sleep. Almost everytime this will work as whilst you are initially trying to sleep, it's almost as if your system is having brief power naps and will give you the boost to force yourself to stay awake for a while. In fact I'm writing this because I've literally had an episode and was looking for some help as been getting additional sensations I've never had before.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #70
(male)

leo4177 HB User

By any chance have you had any massages recently, or using e cigarettets, protien shakes, quit regular cigaretts, taken chantex in the past year, quit cannabis, started high blood pressure med?

I have been having some of the same experiences and these are the changes I have made recently.

Exercise to increase endorphins and anti anxiety meds have helped me cope a bit. Some days are better than others.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #71
(male)

dazzyboy10 HB User

Well to be honest with you, I tend to like staying up quite late to have some ME time as my family is quite stressful, especially the wife so that doesn't really help the situation along with her badly needing anger management but she fails to realise it. I don't see the point of anti depressants\anxiety meds as its just a state of mind really. Apparently anti depressants are good for sleep paralysis but I just don't like taking them. I'm a regular smoker and occasional drinker but not of that seems to matter. I will be starting the gym soon as I've put on 6 stone in the last 4 years mainly down to comfort eating\drinking. Originally my doctor had never heard of the condition. A former co-worker had the same condition and explained the symptoms and took it from there.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #72
(male)

lege009 HB User

Hey, does anyone have a definite name or cause for this yet? I'm also interested in hearing from the original poster. Is he/she still alive and well?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #73
(male)

McHilt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui_rayne View Post
Thank you Jane for your reply, but I have had myclonic or hypnic jerks before and this is far more terrifying.... This is something all together different. It is not the feeling like I am falling and I jerk awake. This is very hard to describe and no one seems to understand..not even the DR.'s. I am going crazy.

This feels like I am dying and my body sends a signal to restart my heart.... I don't "jerk" from it. It is a sensation radiating from my chest area kinda like an electric pulse or buzz...that instantly wakes me up. I feel as if my heart stopped and I take a deep breath from pure fear. This happens over and over and over each time I am just drifting off to sleep. I can see how many people could say "hypnic jerk or myclonic jerk...or even sleep apnea....but this is something far more intense and terrifying. I have found a few people on here who are describing the same thing or very similar. I am waiting to see if they reply.

But I thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
Yep, same thing here for the last 1,5 years. Terrible sensation very different from hypnic jerk as people have stated. Strange thing is it happens only when I go to sleep at night or when I doze off during a nap at daytime. In the morning I can easily go back to sleep after waking up... no problems whatsoever.
In my case it happens especially when I sleep on my back so usually I lay on my right side or belly down. Everyone I talk to about it look at me like I'm a weirdo but heck it's petrifying and hard to explain.

I find the above explanation by maui_rayne pretty well put. That's exactly what it feels like. A couple of vodkas do help but I don't want to end up drinking 4 vodkas each night...

I have no clue either what it might be so I'll have to live with it.

Good luck to all of you

Old 10-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #74
(male)

kam773 HB User

I am experiencing something exact/very similar...

I got my first electric jolt in my head in june 2013 and have got around 10 times till now(last night being the latest one). I have answered few questions below to explain my experiences, please help me if these answers look familiar to you.

What happens?
An electric jolt kind of feeling in my head.

How long does it last?
I am not sure, may be few seconds.

How does it feel during those few seconds?
I feel like i am diving deep into something, helpless and feel im gonna die.

Is it painful?
No. There is absolutely no feeling or sensation after those few seconds.

Is the electric jolt felt in any other part of the body?
No. It is felt only in the head.

When does it happen?
Till now it has happened only at nights. Usually when i am asleep and more specifically i think when I am just about to fall asleep. First time it happened in car when i was just about to fall asleep in the back seat, this happened when I was returning from Goa after some hard partying.

Are you in your senses during that time?
I guess so. I vaguely remember trying to shake and wake my wife up during 3 or 4 instances. However, she tells me that she has never felt me doing that. This puts a doubt in my head that I might just be dreaming, its the same dream with electric shock occurring multiple times.

Have you noticed any pattern in these occurences?
No, not till now. I will start noting hereafter.

Please help me get over this...

Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #75
(female)

Koot888 HB User

Just wondering if anyone has considered Sleep Apnea at all.
I started getting this whilst on meds after surgery last week. The jolting awake, like a shock, palpitations and terrified to go to sleep again.
I refused further meds from medical staff and it hasn't happened since. The meds were Codeine and Tramadol (at 2 different occasions)
From what I can research there are 3 different types of sleep apnea - the upshot being the relaxation(too much relaxed) of throat muscle, which temporarily cuts of air supply during sleep and your body 'wakes you up' with the jolt to get you going again.
It's definitely a frightening thing, but looks to be quite a common occurrence - worth a research, if you think it could be that... Good luck

Closed Thread