It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
(male)

McBack HB UserMcBack HB User
Unable to sleep on back, Apnea?

Hey All, for some time now I have not been able to fall asleep on my back due to chocking as I exhale. I seem to do fine when I am alert and awake, but as soon as I start to nod off I begin to have an issue exhaling, my palate seeming to flow forward blocking air passage out. Soon enough I will wake up chocking and end up rolling on either side.

Problem is, I have significant lower back issues having had 4 surgeries to date with a 5th (and last if I can help it) schedules in November should things go as planned. Sleeping on my back is most beneficial for me, sleeping on my side bringing about leg symptoms as well as neck and shoulder pains.

I have long felt that my present bed has become an added issue as well, which I just confirmed the night before last. I was away on a trip last week, and slept in a different bed for 5 nights, and though I still had sleep issues sleeping on my sides they were not near as intense. Then coming home two nights ago I noticed within 20 minutes of turning in for the night that my own bed was much firmer and instantly the shoulder pain set in again.

Not that I can afford yet another new bed but it is what it is. I am sleeping on an air mattress ATM until I sort this out, but I digress...

What I seek is opinions on whether or not I have sleep apnea and/or if there is anyone else who experiences the same symptoms while trying to sleep on their backs. I have never been told I snore much to speak of, though a little occasionally, probably on those rare occasions when I am able to sleep while on my back. On the mornings to follow those rare occasions I do indeed feel much more rested and far less aches and pains.

I am scheduled to speak with my GP tomorrow morning to discuss this matter, and was hoping to gain a little insight beforehand.

Any relevant replies appreciated, Mac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
(female)

jumprosel HB Userjumprosel HB User
Re: Unable to sleep on back, Apnea?

You should look into a sleep apnea test as soon as possible.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
(male)

TY for the replies, Jump.

Yeah, I have read that there are three different types of apnea, but hadn't really seen anything specific in regards to exhaling, though I suspected it mattered not either way, inhale or exhale. I have suffered with this for probably 15 years now, but never put a label on it. I have for most of my life experienced a significant sinus drainage problem as well, and I guess I attributed my choking to this until just recently.

What brought me to realizing I might have sleep apnea was a late night infomercial I saw recently for an apparatus that aided in snoring, much like a teeth guard, not that I would buy into anything of the sort, but something within the infomercial did get me to thinking I might have a form of apnea.

I guess I will start the process of finding out for certain tomorrow when I see my GP

Last edited by McBack; 08-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
(male)

Well, GP expressed much concern and has recommended me for a sleep clinical. I go for an evaluation meeting in a couple weeks. Meanwhile I have ditched my old bed and replaced it with a knock off memory foam one I had stored away which I did not like either. but anything is better than the hard one I was using. I did go test out both a sleep number bed and a temper-pedic cloud yesterday. Both were better though I am leery of the sleep number, and though I absolutely loved the temper-pedic cloud I simply can't bring myself to spend that much $ right now. I have little doubt it would be a good investment, but that $ is needed for medical bills first and foremost. Perhaps later.

So apnea wise, what are the options...breathing machines, surgery? Lord, the thought of another surgery is not something I am up for. Bad enough I am to have another lumbar surgery in November. I can't endure any others

Last edited by McBack; 08-26-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Closed Thread