It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
(male)

ben904 HB User
I begin to dream IMMEDIATELY after falling asleep

This isn't a sleep disorder, but more like a sleep question.

I'm seventeen years old, and in good health.

For most of my life, I have had incredibly vivid and detailed dreams on a regular basis. You could call my dreams almost "cinematic" in nature, and I can never once recall having a nightmare. I remember a good deal of my dreams, and I have often found myself vividly dreaming almost immediately after falling asleep.

Because of my dreaming habits, and a benign interest in psychology and human nature, I have often wondered if my dreaming habits were unusual. I'm familiar with the stages of sleep, and I have always been taught that dreaming occurs in the REM stage, which indicates a full, deep sleep.

But I dream within seconds of falling asleep, and I can even remember them if jostled awake. There have been times in class where I have fallen asleep for no more than four or five minutes, and I would have already had a visual dream of some sort. It's not as descriptive or lengthy as a full dream, but it's still a dream nonetheless. I also noticed that if I'm trying to stay awake, but I end up falling asleep, I will immediately begin to dream. My girlfriend has taken interest in this as well, for many times she will wake me up seconds after I fall asleep just to tell her if I saw anything "cool" in my quazi-dream state. Her noticing my brief dreams has led to me taking deeper notice into these immediate dreams. And whenever she wakes me, I can often recall some sort of strange and vivid dream. Once, after falling asleep for no more than thirty seconds or so, I dreamed I was driving down a windy coastal highway in a pink car. As I passed a small white toll booth on this highway, the tollbooth melted and flowed along the road, covering my car, until I was jostled awake by my girlfriend.

Is this normal? I've been told that dreaming should only really be taking place in REM sleep, and that it can actually be unhealthy to dream so quickly. I have no history of any sort of medical or psychological disorders, and I have been healthy my whole life. I'm not overly stressed, unless you count the usual high school senior stuff, but this sort of thing was happening during the carefree summer months as well.

I'm not concerned at all, it's just that I'm curious to know if this is normal, or if it's an indicator for something, or if I just happen to have a stranger head on my shoulders than I previously thought.

Thank's so much for even reading this boring thing!! I really appreciate it, and I am grateful for any type of response!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
(female)

mayolisp HB User
Re: I begin to dream IMMEDIATELY after falling asleep

I'm in no way qualified to answer your question, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone!! I'm 18 and my twin sister and I both dream immediately after we fall asleep. We have vivid dreams that often occur in the first 10 or 15 minutes and throughout the night... We even have seemingly-lengthy dreams between our snooze alarms. One thing that makes me wonder is that it's supposed to be common to experience that "falling feeling" in the first stage of sleep (because of the sleep-paralysis). So do other people not have dreams that go along with that? It seems like every other night I have a dream when I'm walking up stairs and then I trip and fall, which coincides with the "falling feeling" that wakes me up. So, from one excessively dreaming person to another, do you have the same falling-type dreams shortly after you sleep?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User

It is definitely one of the indicators for narcolepsy, but I'm sure there are other things that might cause it as well.

I have narcolepsy and dream instantly, even during "microsleep" bursts that occur when I'm desperately fighting off a sleep attack. Those episodes are particularly annoying, because they happen so quickly it's sometimes difficult to distinguish the dream from reality.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I would like to know if you dream in colour as I do.
Some people I tell think its not possible, Interesting Eh!!...

Solofelix.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User

Always. I think that's actually the norm, but a lot of people just don't notice or remember the colors.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
(female)

mayolisp HB User

I know that it's a symptom of narcolepsy, but I really don't think I have that. I hardly ever fall asleep during the day and I'm often running on less than 8 hours of sleep (at least during the school year). I looked up symptoms of narcolepsy, and the only thing relating to me was the occasional sleep-paralysis. If it makes anything clearer, I have a twin sister that dreams immediately as well.
And yes, I dream in color, too!

Closed Thread