It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
(female)

ginger spice HB User
Red face I haven't slept in 7 months

You read right. Seven months of being awake. No sleep. My doctors can't figure it out. I am going to a sleep lab next week, but if I can't sleep, how will that work? I don't snore, yet they want to test me for sleep apnea?

Does anyone else have this chronic insomnia problem? I would be thankful to sleep for an hour. I don't take naps in the day. It is the longest night ever.

Your thoughts? Ambien worked for 3 months now it doesn't help. Trazadone is at 50mg and it doesn't help.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User
Re: I haven't slept in 7 months

Hi Ginger, I feel your pain. I do have chronic insomnia and have gone many nights with no sleep. I'm sleeping now or 3 o4 hours, which is not near enough. My problem now is that although I can get to sleep fairly quickly, I wake up after an hour. I've been to a sleep lab and it was determined that I have sleep apnea. I'm being treated for that but it doesn't do a thing for my insomnia; in fact, quite often it makes it worse. The sleep doctor I have focuses on the apnea. For my insomnia, he tells me to take an ambien every night which I have no intention of doing. I don't feel right the next day after taking ambient. In addition, I don't want to become dependent on sleeping aids. The doctor has never gotten into the reasons for my insomnia. Now, I have an appointment to get started on cognitive behavior therapy for insomnia. Have you heard of that. If you do a google search, you can get plenty of information on it. They even have online therapy but I decided I want to try it in person. Maybe this is something that would benefit you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
(female)

ginger spice HB User
Talking Re: I haven't slept in 7 months

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, sleeplessinky! I could feel your pain too. Tomorrow is my sleep lab and I am pretty terrified because all I can do is just close my eyes and lie there.Sleep does not happen. They will be testing me for sleep apnea too but there is no way I have that as it is mostly aimed at snorers. Since I can't sleep, it can't be SLEEP apnea.

Ambien worked for about 6 months total for me. Then in March, suddenly it quit.I then got a Lunesta rx and that never worked. I were you I would take Ambien,to start every other day since you didn't want to take it daily. You will
likelyhave less next day sx (side effects). I like to think my pharm studies can have a practical use.

Tell me all about cognitive ther for insomnia. Is it expensive? Is this done by a psych person?What is he name of he online program? Any time I can take an online course, I will. Also, did you get any good books on this subject? Maybe between books and online, I cold do a diy class!!!!

Write back soon...I need reassurances about tomorrow's sleep lab. Do they put a mask over your mouth or do they stick tubes into your nose? I am terrified because I wil be the only one who is at the lab without sleeping.They don't allow clocks and my watch does not glow. Maybe I should buy a cheap led watch..wonder if they would ban it.

When I get frustrated andm up more than an hour, I go online.

I hope you try my every other day suggestion for a week. Wouldn't it be awesome if that could help you?Iwould love the ability of just sleeping one hour, at this point.
You have a better nite than me. From the first half hour I lie down, the sleep is nowhere. I toss and turn.
Night is no longer my fave time for obvious reasons.

My mom's 90th birthday is tomorrow..she is Swiss..and my card is going to be late because my daughter was going to mail it for me and today she tells me she still ha the card. Kids!

Write soon!!! Thanx so much. Ginny

Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Hi Ginger.

As far as the sleep study is concerned, the first thing you should do is to call the sleep center and tell them that you can't sleep without a sleep med and that ambien doesnt work for you. When I saw the doctor, he prescribed a sleeping pill for me because I told him I wouldn't be able to sleep without it. The sleep study is not scary at all. No mask or anything like that. Before you get into bed, the tech will put a bunch of **** on you including your head. There are lot of wires but they're all together in one setup and you won't even notice them. The can monitor your heart, your brain waves and just abot everything else. I can't remember what part of the body they're connected to, but they're not obtrusive at all. There's a camera and microphone in the room so that the tech can watch you from whereever she sits and she can talk to you. If you wake up to go to the bathroom, you just tell her and she takes you. The bed I was in was very comfortable. You could even adjust the mattress to different settings. I slept all night with no trouble with
my ambien and she woke me at 6 am. The whole thing is a lot easier than you think. You don't need to worry.

I'll take your advice about the ambien. I need to get some sleep.

Please post again after your study. I'll be interested in hearing all about it.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-21-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Ginger, You asked about cognitive behavior therapy.
You also asked about the in person therapy where you actually see a psychologist. You have to check to see if there's a sleep lab that does this in your area. In my case, there's only one in Louisville. My insurance covers it and I don't know how much it is.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-21-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User

Ginger, How did your sleep study go. Please post again and tell us all about it.
I suggest you do a google for that information. Its hard for me to explain how it works but that information is out there

Last edited by mod85; 10-23-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
(female)

ginger spice HB User
Cool Re: I haven't slept in 7 months

Hi sleeplessinky,

Thanks for posting.Are you back to taking ambien every other night? Is it working? Thanks for sharing your sleep lab experience.

I survived the sleep lab at the hospital. I get results tomorrow, Gosh, all the tubes and leads and glue all over my hair and head and temple! I pray they can figure out why I can't sleep.

By the way, I had a private room with queen, but no adjustable bed. You lucked out.

According to a really nice tech (who told me how badly he felt about my insomnia), I was awake for the first 6 HOURS of the test, then miraculously, I fell asleep at 3 am and he woke me up at 7. I couldn't believe I actually slept.

Do you have any recommendations for prescriptions that sedate and make you drowsy?? If you can respond asap, I want to present a list to the Sleep Clinic tomorrow. Without a sedating pill, I do not sleep. Ambien does not work for me anymore, and Lunesta never did.

I'll post tomorrow evening with results.

Night (I used to say good night when I could sleep

---ginger

Last edited by moderator2; 10-25-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hey ginger. I also was not able to sleep for 6 montsh and then fell asleep one day and then again 6 months and then one day of sleep. That was till I started taking all the sleeping pills in the market. The best was Clonazepam. It really puts you to sleep and you wake up and feel rested, you feel like you were asleep. I believe it gives you a deep sleep.
I needed 4 mg at bedtime. I understand that is a high dose.
I can't sleep becasue of pain but I am getting better now. Most of the time I dont' need to take sleeping pills. I had this problem for 6 years now.
You probably had gone through a stressful event, right?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
(female)

sleeplessinky HB User

I'm glad you survived the sleep study experience. Not so bad, was it? I'm surprised they didn't give you some kind of sleep aid. Did you ask for it. At least you finally did fall asleep.
I don't really know of any good sleeping aids. Ive tried different things but nothing really worked for me. There's info on this forum about what aids work for some people. Or you could start a new post asking for information on sleep aids.
Let us know the results of your study.

Closed Thread