It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Exclamation Body jerks just before falling asleep

Hey all:

Many times, just before I fall asleep, just at that time when I'm going from conscious to unconscious, I will get a body jerk that will cause me to "snort" and jolt awake. Sometimes these can happen dozens of times per night, other times just a few. It's just a jerking action, sometimes it involves my whole body, other times just an arm or leg. Sometimes they're so strong it throws the covers off the bed. LOL I do have anxiety disorder, I don't know if that's related to it or not. They don't scare me or anything, just very annoying and they make it hard to stay asleep sometimes.

Anybody have this???

Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Body jerks just before falling asleep

It's very, very common. You're trying to wake yourself up, my husband and I do that all the time. Nothing to be concerned about.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Frank Furter (10-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

We all do this. It comes from a more primitive part of the brain from when the time before humans existed. Our ancestors lived in trees where a sift in position could be fatal if you fell so we developed this warning system to wake us up if your body sense we are unstable. Don't need this is a bed but you sure did if slept high up in tree top nest.

Many don't believe in evolution but this is one of the ways they know we did evolve from tree dwellers.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

tonyjo1 HB User

I have something very similar, I have had it diagnosed as myclonic jerks, although i am still undergoing tests on my heart. If you do a search and see if any of it's symptoms tie into yours. Good luck!

Joanne

The Following User Says Thank You to tonyjo1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Thumbs up Re: Body jerks just before falling asleep

Thanks for your replies, ladies.

Good to know this is common and nothing to worry about.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
(male)

DwayneP HB User

Search for "myoclonic jerk"

Dwayne

Closed Thread