It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
(male)

ARBlunnie HB User
Unhappy itchy skin when tired

Can anyone tell me why when I am tired my skin itches? I often get very tired and the more tired I get the itchier I get.it drives me crazy I can go for days hardly sleeping I just get more and more tired, It also causes me to jump like tics or something.
I have got sleep apnea for which I use a cpap machine but this makes no difference as I need to be asleep for the cpap to be any benefit. I always Bath before I go to bed, I don't know if this is a factor or not.
The job I do is really safety critical so tiredness is a real issue,I usually end up having to take sleeping tablets to get a nights sleep but I am not allowed to do this if I am working the next day, so have to take them before a day off. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Tony UK

Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

missnz HB User
Re: itchy skin when tired

I have the same problem, and it is not an allergy. For me it seems to be linked to very mild Psoriasis, and can control it by using a lotion with Betamethasone Valerate in it (called Beta Scalp).

It also can cause me to jump. I personally don't think the bath before bed matters, as a doctor told me it is to do when your immune system is down, so when we get tired your immune system is weaker and therefore causing you to itch. I too take sleeping pills to sleep when it is bad, as sleep seems to be the only cure for me. I have a VERY MILD scalp condition, and by chance used the product above while I was very itchy, and after a few days it makes it go away. I am itching now as I didn't get much sleep last night.

One thing that might help you to sleep quickly is to have something small to eat before you go to bed. This will make the blood go to your tummy instead of going to your brain, causing you to stay awake. Another aspect that might aid your sleep is regular exercise (which I don't do but am going to start) as it can help you sleep better.

Hope you get it sorted.

The Following User Says Thank You to missnz For This Useful Post:
ARBlunnie (01-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
(female)

froman HB User

Hello, I just wanted to tell u that I also have this problem, and the only people who will understand it, are the ones that have it, because it has nothing to do with not bathing or bedbugs or anything like that. With me the longer I am awake the more it gets stronger. I did try some cream on my arms and legs it helped a bit. I usually take sleeping pills to fall asleep, but when I don't this seems to always happen, I am not sure there is a real reason why it happens to us, but last night I just gave in and took a sleeping pill and it worked. I know that is not an ideal solution, but for me it helps get rid of it. If u have any question about meds or anything feel free to ask but I don't think any of that matters, hope this helps.
Take care

Last edited by froman; 08-01-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: So I forgot to say that I am not taking the sleeping pills for the itching but for other reasons, I just find that it helps

Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

tresdjndjed HB User

​I am suffering from this very same problem. I have treated my bed for bugs/mites by steaming it and using a natural bug deterrent - just to be sure although I doubt it was bugs of any kind. There would have been bites - we have had fleas before (2 dogs 2cats household) and I am highly allergic to those - when I get bit by a flea it swells up to look like a welt. I have investigated mites and bedbugs online and their bites are also visible, there is nothing on my skin.
However, I just found a possible answer - one that makes sense and means I need to make some appointments. It could be a form of restless leg syndrome ... instead of the neurons misfiring info that make the legs twitch and jerk it is sending a message that you have itchiness all over ... Since it is the night before Thanks giving I won't be in touch with any doctors till next week but this seems like a promising answer. There are treatments for RLS so maybe ? Well, maybe I will be able to fall asleep again like a normal person with out itching, scratching, rubbing, huffing and puffing and my husband will be able to as well ..lol
I just wanted to share this find with the forum, I hope it is helpful.
Still looking for the right answer - I will get back to this after my Dr. appointments
Oh, and taking benadryl or a OTC sleep aid does seem to help (although not completely) but I would really rather not take them because I am very sluggish the next morning. *sigh*
Can never win ... lol

Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
(female)

froman HB User

Thanks for the post, does this happen to u every night, or just once in awhile. Can't wait to hear you response from the doctors. Take care.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

suemo HB User

ask your dr. about vistaril. it is prescribed for anxiety manifesting as itching skin, and it makes some people sleepy.

truly,
suemo

Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
(female)

suemo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBlunnie View Post
Can anyone tell me why when I am tired my skin itches? I often get very tired and the more tired I get the itchier I get.it drives me crazy I can go for days hardly sleeping I just get more and more tired, It also causes me to jump like tics or something.
I have got sleep apnea for which I use a cpap machine but this makes no difference as I need to be asleep for the cpap to be any benefit. I always Bath before I go to bed, I don't know if this is a factor or not.
The job I do is really safety critical so tiredness is a real issue,I usually end up having to take sleeping tablets to get a nights sleep but I am not allowed to do this if I am working the next day, so have to take them before a day off. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Tony UK

Closed Thread