It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

Rxyh HB User
Angry Former 3rd shifter's insomnia

After almost 4 years of 3rd shift I transferred to 2nd shift with the hesitant hope of a minimal stress transition to a life w/o sleeping pills.

Anyone who has worked 3rd shift can tell you how it messes with how you sleep. I can make myself function on more than 24 hour w/o sleep which also means that when I should be dropping like a fly to sleep I find myself awake.

I have been off of 3rd shift for about 3 weeks and found a comfortable sleep schedule of 1a-9a, but the last few night my sleeping pills have not been working (I take Trazadone 25mg (off-label) and Melatonin 5mg) and it is so frustrating that when I am still getting myself used to normal daytime hours and getting ween myself off of sleeping pills they stop working. It make me feel stuck! (I know dependence is more than just physical! Do I go I new RX just to stop take it?).

I have an appointment with my Dr to talk to her about it. I am wondering about other 3rd shifter or other people who have gone through this who can give me some hope for the future?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
(female)

cetiya HB User
Re: Former 3rd shifter's insomnia

ive been working night shifts for 25 years. i have all sort of sleep problems! i cant sleep without huge amounts of seroquel, (which the side effects have ruined my health) and i train myself to sleep when i hear the same video tape, over and over again, for years. it works mostly, sometimes quickly, but when i wake up, i rewind the tape and start over.
i got so addicted to ambein, i was taking 100 mg a day. it got so bad, a sleep disorder doc told me to find another doc, i was too complicated for him. i also have sleep apnea. guess i dont have any great advice for you! i'm a mess. good luck.!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread