It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
(female)

PolishK HB User
Irregular Circadian Cycle? Help!

Hi everyone. I have a sleeping disorder, though I'm not sure what it should be classified as. I have been suffering from ongoing sleep problems for the past 4 years and it's now becoming a huge burden on my daily life. Here's what it's like:

Most nights, I can't get to sleep for at least a few hours after lying in bed. I've tried the herbal teas, lavender fragrance and lotions, reading before bed, eliminating any loud noise or bright lights (TV, computer, etc). I don't have a TV in my bedroom: this room is used purely for sleep and sex. I've even tried the Philips blue light remedy. Nothing seems to work to help me fall asleep.

When I have to get up in the morning for work, it's hard to get out of bed. I usually haven't had an adequate amount of sleep, but after a few hours of being awake, I feel fine. I'll be tired, but still have energy to get through my daily tasks. When night falls, though, I still can't get to sleep even if I am exhausted.

When I DON'T have to get up and go to work, I sleep 10-12 hours! This isn't including the hours it took me to fall asleep. 10-12 hours of pure sleep. When I wake up, I feel horrifically groggy as if someone has drugged me. I am lethargic throughout the day and can't seem to get anything done. I've tried setting alarms to make sure I'm still waking up at a decent hour, but somewhere in the midst of my sleep, I must be turning them off as they sound.

I don't know what to do. I just want a normal sleeping pattern so I can enjoy a fuller, healthier, and more productive lifestyle.

I've tried cutting out caffeine altogether and that hasn't seemed to help. I am a healthy eater and I exercise. I drink plenty of water. This situation is truly bothersome and I find it embarrassing to admit to having this problem because I think many people will just assume I'm "lazy".

Here's a list of medications I'm on:
Effexor 37.5mg - for anxiety, taken at night
Yaz - for troublesome skin, taken at night
Omeprazole (Prilosec) 20mg - for acid reflux, taken in the morning.

Other than that, I regularly take:
Calcium & Magnesium
Vitamin D3
Super B Complex
Multi-vitamin
Ginseng
Fish Oil

Any help and/or suggestions are truly appreciated!! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Irregular Circadian Cycle? Help!

Sounds like you alternate between not enough sleep and too much sleep. I read a book called "I Can Make You Sleep" which comes with a relaxation cd you listen at bedtime. The book said do not go to bed if you are not sleepy. And to adjust your sleep pattern, go to bed 1/2 hour earlier, slowly, and you WILL get sleepy earlier. Book has great reviews on Amazon. Hope this helps. I can get to sleep but can't stay asleep.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 01-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingguy For This Useful Post:
PolishK (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

PolishK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingguy View Post
Sounds like you alternate between not enough sleep and too much sleep. I read a book called "I Can Make You Sleep" which comes with a relaxation cd you listen at bedtime. The book said do not go to bed if you are not sleepy. And to adjust your sleep pattern, go to bed 1/2 hour earlier, slowly, and you WILL get sleepy earlier. Book has great reviews on Amazon. Hope this helps. I can get to sleep but can't stay asleep.
Thanks for you suggestion! I appreciate it. I can give the CDs a try, but they'll probably bother my husband quite a bit. And let's face it, he has to get up earlier for a more important job

I'm sorry you can't stay asleep. Usually having the room cooler helps me. Though, living in Japan, I get woken by earthquakes a lot (like this morning!).

Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishK View Post
Thanks for you suggestion! I appreciate it. I can give the CDs a try, but they'll probably bother my husband quite a bit. And let's face it, he has to get up earlier for a more important job

I'm sorry you can't stay asleep. Usually having the room cooler helps me. Though, living in Japan, I get woken by earthquakes a lot (like this morning!).
might try earphones if cd bothers your husband. Lot's of reviews at Amazon say cd makes them go to sleep fast. I think it uses hypnotic suggestion. I've never felt an earthquake! Because I live in Florida. hope you sleep better soon! and let us know if cd works. I'm trying it tomorrow.

Closed Thread