It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

Thorkim HB User
Panic attack in the night?

I've been dealing with issues that probably happen about 3 times per month. I go to sleep just fine, but sometimes I'll wake up in the night in a panic. Usually, I think I've forgotten something important before I went to bed. Examples are I think I've forgotten to take medication, forgotten to do something at court (I don't need to go to court), or forget something with taking care of my contacts (that I don't wear anymore) or my partial in my mouth. Sometimes I even get up out of bed and go to another room, thinking I will solve the problem/take the meds, etc. Then I realize there is nothing I need to do, and go back to sleep.

The only meds I am on are Lipitor and Zetia for cholesterol and I take those first thing in the morning, not before bed. I usually wake up and shout out "oh my gosh" and wake hubby up. I will add that I have been under a lot of stress the last 2 or 3 years financially and issues relating to my daughter. Don't know if it's simply stress or a reaction from the meds. It's just something that happens from time to time that makes me wonder what the heck is going on. Otherwise I perfectly healthy (no sleep apnea, etc.). Any ideas?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User
Re: Panic attack in the night?

sorry to hear about your situation. Panic is not a side of effect of those two meds. And the infrequency suggest it is not the meds, or it would happen more often. Also, did you ever wake up in a panic, even once, before you started on those meds? If so, it's for sure not the meds.

Now those meds DO have other side effects, and you can look them up on the net.

Sounds like some nights you are more anxious/worried then usual, probably because of a stressful day, then have an anxious dream and wake up. Yes, stress and worries can interrupt sleep. If it were me, I would not start a sleep med! Instead, simply check that things are in order a few hours before bedtime, then talk to yourself with positive thoughts for 5-10 minutes, ie "everything's in order, I've checked". And when you think those thoughts make yourself feel good, like a happy smile inside. This should make for a better night's sleep.

How's your cholesterol levels? Are you keeping the bad fats out of your diet, and eating only the good fats?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

Thorkim HB User

Thanks for your response.Cholesterol levels are under control. Good to know that this probably isn't a result of the meds. I've certainly been stressed the last couple of years. This doesn't happen every night, but it is annoying. Thanks for your advice.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
(male)

david1ray1 HB User

Hi, I have the same problem and get woke up in the middle of the night out of a sound sleep. As soon as I wake up Im feeling overly anxious and my heart is racing fast and sometimes my skin starts to tingle. I want to run and get air cause sometimes it feels like I cant catch my breath. I'll go outside thinking fresh air might help but nothing. I start to pace while my heart is beating faster n faster and nothing but time helps. I know after having several of these that only time is going to help. I actually had one last night and the funny thing is I also take zetia and lisinopril and simvastatin , but right before bedtime is when i take em. The first time this happened it went on for 5 hours and I went to the hospital because I have heart disease very high in my family and thought maybe I was having a heart attack. Ive since had every heart test ruled out and know when these panic attacks happen it's NOt my heart. This past night when it happend it lasted about an hour. I've also learned I need to distract myself and talk myself down. Saying " Ok David, it's just a panic attack its not going to kill you, its going to go away in a half n hour, hang in there, breath slowly ." Ive read that sometimes yelling STOP inside your head actually helps , but it didnt really help me. I also got some homeopathic stuff at the health food store called RESCUE REMEDY for stress relief and panics but im not sure if it helps. It does NOT stop it immediately, but then I wonder if there is something out there that does. This morning I actually went for a mile walk and that seemed to help me get rid of the attack...either the walk or just time passing..you decide. It helps to get out and walk when this happens as long as you know to stay safe..; If you find anything that works for you to end the panic attacks right away, let me/us know. Sorry this is so long, but hopfully it can help someone out there...Good Luck..David in Az

Old 05-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
(female)

claud883 HB Userclaud883 HB User

I would suggest you to have a cup of chamomile tea before going to bed it will easily drift you off to sleep. Chamomile for its relaxing properties is suggested for various sleep disorders and stress issue.

If you think stress is a the issue, Chamomile will still be useful.

Closed Thread