It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sleep Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
(male)

scott1360 HB User
Recurring bouts of insomnia

Hello. I often have recurring insomnia (longest a few years ago lasted 5 months) but then, as always, I returned to normal. Just two weeks ago I had one bad night and it set off the anxiety about sleeping immediately. The last two weeks I probably average 2 hrs of sleep a night. I am trying all the "sleep hygene" and CBT treatments but I find that I really can't stop racing thoughts.

I was also on 25 mg of Zoloft. A week into my sleep problem I upped my dose back to 50mg to see if it could help with just the anxiety I have all day about sleep problems.

In addition, I do have Klonopin but I have not been steady with it (take it one night get 5 hrs of sleep, don't take it the next, get 1.5 hrs). I am thinking of trying to just take it consistently for a short time (maybe 1-2 weeks) just to get "back on schedule".

Has anyone had success with this approach?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
(male)

scott1360 HB User
Re: Recurring bouts of insomnia

Any help or similar experiences? I feel very lost and desperate (can't concentrate at work/home other than my problem).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Natural approaches I have found extremely helpful are taking either Passionflower capsule or a valerian capsure before bed. I also take zoloft in the mornings. Valerian sometimes leaves me groggy the next day. But once or twice a week for both of these helps me at night to fall asleep and to get back to sleep when I wake up.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
(male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

Sorry you have insomnia. Are you getting proper ratio and quantity of daily calcium/magnesium in your diet? 800 mg calcium, 240-400 mg magnesium? I've read that deficiency of these can cause insomnia- especially waking up after going to sleep. Magnesium helps with "racing thoughts".

I just read about this and just started to supplement my diet to make sure I have enough cal/mag. I can go to sleep but wake up several times.

And I was started having anxiety about going to sleep. What helped me reduce anxiety a lot was I create a 'quiet time' about an hour before I would like to go to sleep, I turn lights down low, in another room, sit or lay on a couch, and not try and go to sleep. I'm tired but not sleepy. This quiet time, with low lights, and no tv or computer, is meant not to try to sleep, just relax. Maybe quiet radio. Maybe use a foot massager. But low lights and no tv or computer. I have no anxiety because I'm not trying to sleep. I then find I fall asleep without even trying. Of course I'm on the couch, but if I wake up I go to the bed.

Last edited by easygoingguy; 03-30-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Closed Thread